Search results

1. Z

Buying live rock with algea ?!?

Thanks for the quick answers. It's hair algea, but it's not covering all of the rock. it have only a sligth coat of algea. It's around 50% fiji rock, 50% sulawesi. I live in Canada so I don't want to order from the states because Customs always taxes like crazy + customs fees. If I was in...
  2. Z

Buying live rock with algea ?!?

Hi, I have a deal on some LiveRock from a particulier. The problem is that some hair algea grow on them since he's closing his tank and removed some flow. Here, LV goes usually around 8$ for a pound. He's selling it for 3$ because of the algea. Is it a good idea to buy it and get rid of the...
  3. Z

ZaNe's 110G

So here a little update. I'm almost done with the sanding. Did a leak test, nothing major. My bulkhead was leaking a little bit and the exit at my cross. P.S. Thanks for the tip. I may try a trigger with SPS since they seems to be "easier" than puffer in a reef. Because I really want...
  4. Z

ZaNe's 110G

I don't have pictures yet because I'm still working on the little details :P I should take some today. I may try to do put some coral with the trigger, not sure yet about this. I will keep you guy update :)
  5. Z

QT is running, having a cycle question.

Thank you Lee, I will start a thread for each of my quarantine fish which I think will make it easier and clearer. Hopefully, my QT will be ready soon :D
  6. Z

ZaNe's 110G

Hi, The stand is practically finish, I'm on the last plaster and then will paint hopefelly this week end or next week. I will take some pictures when plaster will be all smooth out :P. I started my QT last sunday running for 1 week and a half. Now my main question is. I want these 5 fish ...
  7. Z

Thank you Lee, I think you answer my question very well but I just want to be sure. If I introduce a larger fish to my QT after a small fish had been in the QT. I should put a small piece of raw shrimp to raise or awaken the bacterie that were hibernating so I don't have an Ammonia Spike ...
  8. Z

Thank you. The rocks and sand are for the DT.
  9. Z

Yes my first post is only my QT. My DT is a 110G with a 66G sump. I will go around 50 lbs of Sulawasi Rock and 50 lbs of base rock. Shallow sand bed around 40 lbs to have around quarter to half an inch. Since I'm quarantining each fish at least 2 month, my base rock will have time to...
  10. Z

I think I will begin with Clarkii or Marron x2 then after that I'm planning to add a dogface puffer, a picasso trigger and a whitecheek tang / Goldrim tang but I don't know the order yet.
  11. Z

Beginner Second day.

River rock are probably igneous or metamorphic rock. They are generally not porous at all depending on where you are from. If it's Gabbro or Shale, they will not absorb any relevant amount of water. I will remove the river rock because they are taking space for live or base rock. You can google...
  12. Z

Hi, I started my QT on the 21 september, running for a week now. It's my first tank and my QT has well. I will follow lee's method but I had a question concerning the cycle. I started my cycle with a full shrimp. My ammoniac rose to 2 in the first 2-3 day so I remove it. Now my question...
  13. Z

ZaNe's 110G

Hi, I began my project a week ago. When to buy everything. My list so far : RC-502 External Skimmer, 2 pumps 2 Koralia 3 that I'm changing to 4 because for the price diff. I rather take the 4 instead of buying two 2 OceanRunner 3500 AquaController Jr. 66G Sump My uncle is giving me...
  14. Z

A Fish Quarantine Process - Step by Step

Hi Lee, I have a question. I know that you said not to use a skimmer but my uncle has upgrade his tank and gave me his old skimmer and filter. Can I setup my quarantine with them ?? Because I will save some money and I'm still a student so it would be really great. I probably will have to...
  15. Z

How long will LFS bought water stay "good"

I think that if you are lazy buying a RO/DI will be less of a pain then going each week to the LFS to buy water then going back home and etc. With your own RO/DI you just have to open water then put the line ni a bucket and let it go for 2-3 hours then come back, if their is enough then you...
  16. Z

Planning my first tank, need some guidance

I finally bought a 110G Now I was looking for what can I put in ... I was thinking a dogface puffer, whitecheek tang and either a antennata lionfish or a dwarf zebra lionfish and 2 clarkii ... Will the dogface fit in my tank ? Thank you
  17. Z

Hi, Thanks too all your input, after a lot of reading, I'm thinking about letting go the idea of getting a Volitan. Getting a Volitan put to much of restrictions, so now I was looking for trigger that also seems to be "killer" fish that eat everything. So now I'm confuse about what to get and...
  18. Z

Some updates about the design but I didn't have the time to change the drawings. Each side will have a 2 2x4 in a L shape and instead of bracing it I will cover the back and sides with plywood which will be stronger than small bracing. I'm also worried about something. I want to introduce a...
  19. Z

I draw plan for my support. each corner are 4x4 and all other studs are 2x4 either on the side (4") or flat (2"). The surface is 2 sheet of 1/2" plywood. Let me know what do you think about this. Is it safe ? The frame will also be attach to the existing wall's stud. EDIT : We dont see it...
  20. Z

I went shopping today ! Didn't buy anything but I am a little bit more set about my future setup so here it is : Display Tank : 90G (48x18x24) Temp bottom. I have two choices. Either pre drill or made them drill for 30$ for each hole under warranty by them. If something crack or break they...