Search results

1. C

Auto Top off Container???

I am using a solenoid to connect my R/O output directly to my ATO float. Works very well and no more lugging water for me. And one thing I cannot stress highly enough is to connect your ATO to a timer to restrict the length of time your ATO can stay open just in case your float(s) stick open.
  2. C

I'd this ugly thing please?

My guess is it's a sponge of some sort. I've seen similar organisms in my tank from time to time and they're always sponges (at least in my tank).
  3. C

FS: Wave Point 48" 4 x T5 54W fixture

Oh, and here's a link to the Marine Depot listing for this fixture (though they have since discontinued selling it): 48 Inch Wave Point 216 Watt (4x54W) T5 HO Lighting System
  4. C

FS: Wave Point 48" 4 x T5 54W fixture

I have a one year old Wave Point 48" 4x T5 x 54w fixture for sale for $100 + actual shipping charges via your choice of carrier. I received this lighting fixture from Marine Depot on 12/31/09, so it's as close to one year old as you can get. Two of the bulbs seem to be relatively decent, the...
  5. C

RO/DI Waste Water

This is misinformation. Not that DI water isn't safe to drink, of course - because it is every bit as safe to drink as unfiltered tap water, and in the same amounts. That is, of course, unless you're on a starvation diet. Any essential minerals you might be getting from water you should also...
  6. C

what are marco rocks?

Well, first off - though we call it "rock", none of it is actual rock - it's coral skeletons. And since the coral species in the Atlantic Ocean are quite different from those found in the Atlantic, they have different skeletal structures. Pretty simple, actually.
  7. C

pairin maroon clownfish

My maroon has decided to pair up with a tiny hippo tang. It's pretty comical - the tang actually helps the maroon move sand out of his little cave - and they pretty much camp out there together all day long.
  8. C

RO/DI Waste Water

If it was safe prior to passing through the R/O filter, then it's certainly safe to drink afterwards. Some of the previous posters would have you believe that somehow the R/O membrane magically ADDS minerals to the wastewater, which is ludicrous.
  9. C

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

Here's the unit I use and highly recommend: Amazon.com: Johnson Controls A419ABC-1C Electronic Temp Controller: Everything Else Not only can you control your heater with it, but you can easily reconfigure it in the summer months to run your chiller too. This is an industrial unit with a very...
  10. C

RO/DI Waste Water

None of the above makes any sense whatsoever. How could it be "very concentrated" if you are, at most, concentrating the levels of any particular mineral constituent by a maximum of 20%? Absurd. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to consider your R/O wastewater to be anything but...
  11. C

WTB: ATI Pro Color 4', 54w T5 bulbs

i"m no longer looking to buy these tubes. Thanks to all who took a look.
  12. C

Got the PM and responded. Thanks!
  13. C

Pump recommendation.

I run a Magdrive 9 on my 75 gallon sump and have to use a barely cracked open ball valve on my return line to equalize the return flow to the tank (dual 1" overflows from the tank, single 1" return line). I don't notice any noise whatsoever from the Mag pump - I can't imagine how anyone could...
  14. C

Looking for Goby / Blenny Suggestions

Oddly enough, I have a very real soft spot for lawnmower blennies. They have eyebrows and eyelashes and remind me of tiny aquatic schnauzers. They are also diligent algae scrapers and there's nothing quite so amusing as seeing a lawnmower blenny pounding his head into a rock crevice to dig out...
  15. C

NASA Life Discovery: New Bacteria Makes DNA With Arsenic

Interesting, but...can someone explain to me why the National Aeronautics and Space Agency is spending taxpayer dollars on such things? Isn't this rather far afield from their charter?
  16. C

Hungry Chaeto 4 sale $10/bag

I'm interested in 2 bags if available.
  17. C

rbta's fs or ft

I'm interested but don't have anything to trade. Can you tell me what it would cost to ship to 77630?
  18. C

Tank size/how many fish?

75 gallon with just three fish: medium maroon clownfish small hepatus tang purple firefish I always tend to overstock when it comes to fish, and I'm trying to absolutely avoid doing so with this tank.
  19. C

Apparently ATI has discontinued these bulbs (at least in the 48", 54w configuration), and I really like the way these bulbs bring out the reds. So I'm interested in buying a few. Please contact me if you're willing to part with any that are unused or nearly so.
  20. C

Black Friday Sales???

Marine Depot is selling the Ice Cap 6xT5, 48" hood/fixture for $389 with free shipping, so I just placed my order for one. Normally, this sells for $519, so that's not a bad deal. It will replace a 4xT5 hood which just isn't quite adequate for my 75 gallon tank, not to mention it has only...