Search results

1. johnlewis

Ph 8.4

My PH has been running at a solid 8.4 for the past week. I've not tried to get it down yet but I was wondering if it's a problem. My make up water is from my Kalk reactor and I am running a calcium reactor 24x7 not turned on by controller. My reading are from my Milwaukee controller and I've...
  2. johnlewis

Blue Tort

I just picked up a frag of Blue Tort and I put it in my 55 about half way up I an running 6500k 250w and gave it up to 6 hrs of light. I noticed some bleaching an dropped it to the bottom, and its now holding. Do you think it was A Too much light B Too much light too fast. I started...
  3. johnlewis

Calcium Monitoring

Are there currently any monitors or probes to measure calcium ? I have not see any. I realize there is a relationship between PH, ALK and calcium or calcification but is there a way I can get the level of calcium from the relationship to other parameters.
  4. johnlewis

Heater shorted out and broke open

My Visi therm heater failed and cracked the heater coils were exposed to the water and turned black it looks like it leached all kinds of stuff into the tank. I have the skimmer on high I just added about 5 gallons of RO water and have carbon running. Does anyone have any other suggestions ? The...
  5. johnlewis

Dealer for Aquanetics Systems UV bulbs

Anyone know a good dealer for Aquanetics UV bulbs ? I need one for the 25IL
  6. johnlewis

Your feelings on UV in the reef aquarium

Well I was very happy with my UV in mr FOT, but what are your feelings on using them in the reef.
  7. johnlewis

Get a TDS Meter !!!

Well another case of buyer beware !! I purchased 75 gallons of RO water from a lfs, and being a trusting person I mixed up the water with salt in batches of 25-30 gals, well I decided to see how clean this RO water was in comparison to mine. Well to say I almost thew up when I saw the meter go...
  8. johnlewis

Tips for plumbing

I just thought I would pass along some of the things I've recently tried and see if anyone has some others. 1. Make sure you clean the burs out of PVC so they don't get in the filter use a set of PVC cutters if possible. 2. Make sure the primer has dried before applying the cement. 3...
  9. johnlewis

Any experience with Nataluis EX series skimmers not TE ?

I just looking at ordering an EX series 24" skimmer , the price is right and wanted to see if anyone had experience with them.
  10. johnlewis

AZPonds.com

Can anyone tell me if they have experience with AZponds.com. I am ready to get a sequence pump and they appear to have the best price by far. This however does not always lead to the best followup service if somthing goes wrong.
  11. johnlewis

The dream is taking shape

Well I started on the idea last winter and now have framed, insulated, dry walled, and primed my fish room for my 55g and 180g reefs. I still have a lot of work a head to finish. Here is the fist rendering Here is the second looking down the hall. Here is the rough frame with...
  12. johnlewis

Sequence pump experience

I have seen many posts about Sequence pumps and I was looking to run a single one for my sump, eductor skimmer. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this model ? Sequence 750 Pump / 1/8 HP Photo 4,200 GPH (2,300 GPH @ 8') 12' 180 watts The sump will be about 42" below the...
  13. johnlewis

DIY Overflow

I am getting ready to build 2 8"x 8"x 24 1/2" overflows. I can not find any information with measurements on the spacing between the cuts or the cut thicknesses themselves. I want to get 1600gph between these two they both have 1" bulkheads and standpipes.
  14. johnlewis

What type of media do you use for your ccalcium reactor ?

What media do you use and how much do you pay for it ?
  15. johnlewis

Max. Pairs of clowns

I am beginning to build my stocking list for my 180g and I was wondering what everyone would think would be the maximum number of clown pairs I could accommodate ? I would like to go with the false perc or the perc. The other inhabitants will be CBB, Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Hippo Tang...
  16. johnlewis

Joes kills Aiptasia DEAD

I love this stuff, I've tried everything, but this stuff works I don't know what's in it but boy it is like RAID to Aiptasia. Killed right next to a hermit. After just minutes
  17. johnlewis

Action pictures in dim light

I have been trying to get a good setting to take action pictures (movement) in low light situation with a digital camera, when I do I get the light saber effect when the moving elements is a blur of color from the start to the end of the shot. I've tried changing my system to it's action setting...
  18. johnlewis

Nemo is gone

Well my clown jumped out this evening I've had him for yrs and he was with my Uncle for at least yrs before I took position of him. It broken my oldest suns heart I found him out on the floor just a few minutes after I was looking at the tank, but it was too late. He was renamed by by...
  19. johnlewis

New Bulbs Actinics not needed

Well I just hooked up my new Universal Ballast and CoralVue 15k bulb to compare the color vs the 6500 Iwasaki's which have been outstanding. I was not sure if I wanted 10k or 20k so I went with 15k. Well as you can see they have a lot of blue in them. I am going to burn them in an see if they...
  20. johnlewis

For Sale 2 MagneTek VHO Ballasts

Fires 2 F72 F60 or F48 VHO bulbs each. Asking $30 ea plus shipping