Search results

1. Luukosian

ammonia not very high during cycle

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. As long as ammonia is going down and nitrites going up I wouldn't be too focused on the numbers. I usually try to stay away from micromanaging the cycle and just let it take its course. Next step, nitrates.
  2. Luukosian

HW marinemix

Dave, I had just opened the bag before mixing this first batch up and had rinsed and wiped out the mixing container. There's like 60 reviews on BRS about how this salt has 0 residue compared to other salts which is what is throwing me off. It mixed for about 12 hours and I mixed it into cold...
  3. Luukosian

HW marinemix

Bought some HW-marinemix Reefer from BRS because it was on sale and suppose to be a good salt. Mixed up 15gal at 35ppt(1.026) and did a water change and had about a gallon left over. When I went to pour it in the sink it was like tea brown and brown residue all over the mixing container. Water...
  4. Luukosian

Aquaristik by Vertex

Is it a type of epoxy? Most you can do is just wait it out and maybe run some new carbon if it doesn't clear up overnight. Most of the time these kind of things sort themselves out. I'll run the skimmer wet and empty it in a few hours sometimes if it seems to be excessive.
  5. Luukosian

Full-Tank Friday!

new hammer coral bottom right has been doing pretty awesome., fish all decide to hide when I bust the camera out lol.
  6. Luukosian

Flow flow flow?

Love my jebao too, thinking of going to a pair of the wireless ones since they weren't around when I got the one I have now. Vortech's are nice but way overpriced and you can't change direction of flow. One pump pushes a wave that almost spills out of my 90 gal and is adjustable for pulse and...
  7. Luukosian

Royal Gramma with weird blister.

Had this Royal Gramma for a long time(5 years+) and just noticed today at feeding time it has almost what looks like a small blister but it's a semi-transparent white color. All other fish fine and no recent additions. 90 gal mixed reef other fish are foxface, blue damsel, eyelash goby, bangaii...
  8. Luukosian

Odyssea?

I've heard some horror stories over the years but I've also heard they've gotten better. If you're in doubt just crack it open and check the wiring, there really isn't that much to a T-5 light. If you see bad solder joints, shorts, opens, or other funny business, shoddy wires etc. either fix...
  9. Luukosian

Cleaning 54 white storage container?

If this is just a storage container or topoff container you can do without for a few days I would just hit it with some bleach and scrub it then dry it out real good(maybe a day or so), fill it with ro/di then hit it with some chlorine remover like prime to make sure you got rid of it all. After...
  10. Luukosian

My Nephew did me in, Big Time

So you're telling him it doesn't have to be expensive now go buy a refractometer, ammonia test, nitrate test, and po4 test? lol...you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's an expensive hobby compared to most freshwater setups. Just giving you a hard time though PSU, it's fun and worth the...
  11. Luukosian

Ro/di. Copper piping in house

I wouldn't worry about it, I would imagine a good majority of people running great reef tanks have copper plumbing in their house. The ro/di will take any tiny amount that does leech from the pipes out. If you want to see for yourself they sell copper test kits but honestly I wouldn't go that...
  12. Luukosian

How To Do A Partial Water Change

For what it's worth I add water to the sump in my reef so don't have to worry about kicking up sand. This is a problem in my freshwater tanks however, and in that case I find putting my hand flat in the tank and pouring the water on top of it helps considerably. When I start a new tank I put a...
  13. Luukosian

To reactor or not to reactor that is the question.

At first when you start with a bunch of frags you might find water changes enough to supply the calc/alk/mag needs of your coral. Once these frags(especially SPS) start to grow you may find the need to dose Kalk. Some people then find kalk isn't enough and either add vinegar to get more kalk...
  14. Luukosian

Do I need a skimmer

Most of the things we do in this hobby, skimmer, refugium, filter socks, etc. are just to reduce the need for water changes. Adding a skimmer will help reduce waste that otherwise would be taken out by a water change(even if you keep the water change schedule the same). Not only will this...
  15. Luukosian

Fish not eating.

In my experience over the years when a otherwise healthy fish stops eating it is either being bullied by a new edition and doesn't feel safe enough to feed or is on it's way to old age/death. When it's the latter I'll try live foods etc. but in the end it is usually just their time to go...
  16. Luukosian

My Nephew did me in, Big Time

Yeah sometimes equipment etc. can really get you on a saltwater tank. I kept freshwater tanks for years too and changing to salt really takes a hit on the pocketbook. It's all worth it though, the diversity and variety you get out of a reef tank is amazing.
  17. Luukosian

Help! Ammonia attack!

Sometimes the hardest part of the hobby is the wait. The bacteria in your tank will naturally turn ammonia into nitrite then nitrate. Adding live rock is probably a good idea to make sure it's all cured and ready to go for clean up crews and fish. If you add the rock after the cycle you will end...
  18. Luukosian

Tunze vs Jebao return pump and good skimmer with small footprint (sca-301?) for 54G?

Re: Tunze vs Jebao return pump and good skimmer with small footprint (sca-301?) for 5 One of the best parts about the DC pumps (like the Jebao you posted), and the reason they are becoming popular, is that they are adjustable. Lower the voltage, lower the flow. No need for the ball valve, one...
  19. Luukosian

Fox Face

130D is about 34 gallons, way too small for a foxface and they grow pretty quick. That being said, my last foxface died mysteriously after several years in the tank and voraciously ate any algae existing or put into the tank(hair, caulerpa, etc.). A couple months ago I bought a new one and he...