Search results

1. Raoul5Duke

Reef Safe Paint???

I think I know the answer and this is probably a dumb question.... but, is there any paint that is safe to use on acrylic that will be inside my frag tank?? I have to take down the tank this weekend to make some improvements and I was wondering if there is anything I can use to paint my clear...
  2. Raoul5Duke

Pros & Cons of Various Additive Systems

I recently switched from 2-part to Kalkwasser and back to 2-part for my additive regime, I'll spare everyone my reasons, but this got me thinking (esp. since I hope to upgrade to a larger system sometime in the next 2 years after I move): What is the best additive system?? I know this will vary...
  3. Raoul5Duke

Kalk topoff clogging aqualifter

I recently started using Kalkwasser mixed in a 5-gallon bucket with a Tom aquatics aqualifter for my top off. Last week I got a little behind on my maintenance and the top off was depleted before I could refill. When I refilled it and turned it back on it seems the residual left behind in the...
  4. Raoul5Duke

Ca/Alk Bal.

I recently started using kalkwasser as my topoff b/c of the lower cost and less maintenance vs. 2-part system, also my pH has been consistently low (recently installed a ACjr. to monitor this). Anyway my last two tests show Ca around 450-460 and Alk 3.31-3.43 or 9.3-9.6 Dkh. I don't think...
  5. Raoul5Duke

Strangeness....

I had a purple pseudochromis in my DT that was an absolute terror to ornamental shrimp and a bit of a bully to my other fish. So I made a fish trap out of a clear plastic bottle and moved him/her to a frag tank that I recently set up (I couldn't believe this worked :D ). Nothing is in this...
  6. Raoul5Duke

Controller Thread

I found a thread yesterday for controllers, specifically ACjr and AC3 from Neptune Systems. Can anyone provide the link? I can't find it today. I'm having problems with my PH probe and wanted to search through the thread to see if anyone had similar problems and what they did. Thanks.
  7. Raoul5Duke

Do check valves restrict flow?

I am reworking my plumbing, trying to make it more efficient/neater. I installed a check valve and now it seems like I am not getting nearly the flow I once was. I added maybe 1 additional 90 bend from what I had before and a gate valve so I don't think that would have caused this much head...
  8. Raoul5Duke

LR Rubble in 1st section of sump?

Due to some space issues I moved my protein skimmer into the middle section of my sump. I left the chaeto in that area, but moved the LR rubble to the 1st section. The first section has four 2-3 inch high pieces of acrylic that I put some eggcrate over and then put the rubble on top of that...
  9. Raoul5Duke

Overflow change and noise

Thinking about moving my overflow box to the opposite end of my tank to help optomize flow, which means my return line will go from being a straight drop into the sump to having 1 or 2 90s in it. Just wondering if this might make it quieter or louder. I would certainly prefer if it makes it...
  10. Raoul5Duke

Plastic Gate Valves

Anyone know of any national chains that carry plastic gate valves?? I looked at both HD and Lowes yesterday with no luck. I found some on the US Plastics website that were about 1/2 the cost of those at Marine Depot, but it looks like they might have a metal screw in them. Anyone buy gate...
  11. Raoul5Duke

Power Out!!!

My power went out about 3.5 hours ago, according to the power company it is going to be another 2 hours until it is restored. At what point should I get concerned?? I have a 55 gal. DT with 5 fish, mixed reef. Temp shouldn't be a problem given the climate, just flow and oxygen exchange. Thanks.
  12. Raoul5Duke

Bulkhead installation

Ok, not doing this for a few weeks, but trying to get all my research, planning, notes together. Working on a 30 gall acrylic frag tank (48x12x12) with a 15 gall glass sump. I was planning on using a 1 1/2" drain line and a 1" return line. According to the chart on Marine Depot I need to...
  13. Raoul5Duke

cleaning up used equipment

I recently purchased some used equipment, protein skimmer, PHs, pumps. It will probably be a few weeks before I use this so I was wondering how I can clean it up a little and what is the process. I have heard some people mention soaking things in vinegar, just wondering what ratio of vinegar...
  14. Raoul5Duke

Glass sump baffles

Building a simple sump out of a 10 gall. for a frag tank (only need 3 baffles). I've seen a couple of threads where people mentioned they were able to get the glass at home depot. Just wondering if anyone could elaborate on cost and if they were able to get them cut to size in the store, etc...
  15. Raoul5Duke

acrylic thicknes vs. top braces

Working on a DIY 30-gallon acrylic frag tank. Dimensions will be 48"L x 12"W x 12" H. I know I can use 1/4" thick acrylic since I am less than 13" H, but I was wondering if I went with 3/8" acrylic if I could leave off the top braces and have a more open looking tank?? Do you DIY experts...
  16. Raoul5Duke

What can I use for the bottom of an acrylic frag tank? (other than acrylic)

I'm in the very early stages of possibly building a DIY frag tank out of acrylic. I still need to do a lot of research. However, I was looking at US Plastics website and I can get a 24"x48"x3/8" piece of acrylic for about $100. This would be enough to make the front/back/sides of a 48"x12"x8"...
  17. Raoul5Duke

Buckets

I have been using the same 5 buckets and 20 gallon rubbermaid container for the last year or so to do water changes, make RO/DI water and as a top off container. Just wondering if anyone recommends changing/replacing these periodically? I keep them clean and I am not having any problems with...
  18. Raoul5Duke

Maintenance/Additive Schedule

Well after almost a year, some significant equipment upgrades and a serious algae battle I think I have settled into a Maintenance/Additive Schedule that will hopefully keep my parameters stable and reduce my testing. I've been testing nearly daily for Mg, Ca & Alk since the beginning of the...
  19. Raoul5Duke

Cause of Diatoms/Silica??

I have been having a problem with some diatoms recently in my tank which is about a year old. I have tried various methods to get rid of them including a increased flow, water changes and a lights out period. I have been running phosban in a tlf reactor for about 3 mos. and I recently overcame...
  20. Raoul5Duke

Accidental Temp Drop

I think I might have messed up. I was feeding last night and turned off all my pumps. About the same time a friend stopped by and the result was I forgot to turn my sump pump back on. So the tank had no heat overnight. My temp alarm did not go off because the temp gauge is in the sump with...