Search results

1. J

Unhappy bubble coral

I have a green bubble coral that's been in my tank for 5-6 months now with no problems. For the past 7-10 days it's been really unhappy, refusing to really expand it's bubbles. I figured it was cranky since I'm due for a water change, but I tested my water and found Nitrates 5ppm, Nitrites 0...
  2. J

Established clownfish suddenly start fighting?

I've had a pair of mis-bar clowns in my tank for about six months now. Both were purchased at the same time from my lfs and were within 25% of each others size when I got them (hoping to get male/female). They were fine in quarantine for a month and they've been fine in my DT for five months...
  3. J

Chiller Suggestions

I recently switched my lights to a set of Corallife 2 x 250 HQI metal hallides. Of course with that comes the expected water temperature increase. Right now it's not a problem as my heater simply isn't coming on, and the temp is staying between 79 - 82 throughout the day. However once spring...
  4. J

Acclimating tank from T5's to MH

What's the best way to acclimate fish and corals when switching from T5's to Metal Hallide fixtures? I'm afraid if I just slap the Mh's on the tank it'll severely bleach or kill my rics, zoas and other soft corals.
  5. J

MH Fixture 2x 150w or 2 x 250w?

I originally purchased a 48" T5 fixture that I've had nothing but trouble with. The Vendor offered me the option to return the fixture and get another and I've been leaning towards of a Corallife Aqualight Pro but I cannot decide between the 2x150w or 2x250w versions. I currently have a 75...
  6. J

How to best setup for proper flow?

I have my 75g going with a 20g sump with a quietone 4400hh pushing about 625gph based on the headloss calculator. I also have 2 Koralia 2's for flow. Here is a pic of the tank with one of the Koralia's in (the other was pulled for my salt mixing tub, pending arrival of a replacement powerhead...
  7. J

Getting a snowflake eel to eat

I have a small 10 - 12" snowflake in my quarantine tank. He was feeding before I got him but won't eat for me. He has plenty of hiding spots and at night I find him out what appears to be actively foraging. I've tried offering him chunks of scalop and shrimp with or without Garlic Extreme...
  8. J

Snowflake quarantine question

I'm going to be quarantining a snowflake eel in a 12 gallon bare tank. I had planned on putting in a 1' length of inch and a half pvc tubing weighed down by a small amount of live rock for him to hide in. Is this going to provide adaquate enough shelter for him to not be totally stressed out...
  9. J

How far into the cycle am I?

I have a 75g filled with ro/di water, the live rock I had circulating in rubbermade tubs with powerheads and heaters also using ro/di water. I recently moved all the live rock into my display tank, and set it up with "live sand" in a bag with a biological activator. It's been up and running...
  10. J

Drastic Salinity Changes?

I recently filled my 75 gallon tank and since I had 50' of airline tubing I decided to just fill the tank directly from my RO/DI unit and then mix the salt once it was full. Once full I started mixing salt, put in the appropriate amount and then let it agitate for over 24 hours. I then...
  11. J

Running Carbon

I've seen multiple people talk about "dropping a bag of carbon" in their sumps to help clear up water, when they suspect chemical warfare from corals etc. My question is are people dropping a block of carbon into their sump, or using something like GAC in some form of a micron sock? Does it...
  12. J

Plumbing question

I'm starting to put together my 75g after getting a new stand and I went to go hook up the plumbing from the overflow to the sump and ran into a scenario I don't know how to best address. If I plumb it with flexi tubing there is going to be a U shaped dip in the line coming from the tank to...
  13. J

Skimmer Questions

I need to pickup an in sump skimmer for my 75g tank. My LFS recommends Euro-reef but I see tons of different brands out there, with the D&D Typhon II being very popular. What are the differences I might see, or if it's easier to answer what's better about the euro reef to justify the $120...
  14. J

Aiptasia problems

I have approximately 40lbs of live rock in a rubbermaid brute container that appears to be heavily infected with aiptasia. I've tried a product called Aiptasia control, which seemed to kill the individuals, but for every one killed 3 more pop'd up. I've also tried injected them directly with...
  15. J

Wet/Dry question

I picked up a 75g aquarium second hand from someone hwo had been running a FOWLR setup. It has a built in overflow that goes to the sump/wet dry to the return pump. The sump is 2' L x 14" h x about 12" D. As you can see in the diagram (paying special attention to my amazing paint skills)...
  16. J

Live Sand question

I'm getting ready to setup my first salt water reef tank and I found a setup on craigslist from someone getting out of the hobby at a great price. Catch is I'm going on holiday on the 9th and won't be back till near the end of the month and wasn't really planning on setting up a tank before I...
  17. J

Ro/DI Units. Confused by the ratings

I'm in the process of shopping for and assembling all the supplies I'll need to do a 60 - 75g Reef Tank and buying a RO/DI unit seems a lot better than paying the LFS $11 for 5gal of pre-mixed salt water, or spending $2 for 5gal of RO water at the local grocery. I'm a little confused by the...