Search results

1. B

How much "moonlight" is too much?

I have read but do not know how accurate it is but some sea life can see red light. I know when I used a red flash light and shined it on some of my nocturnal creatures they would go back into hiding. I have blue LED and red LEDs. The blue looks nice but do not leave them on all night. Remember...
  2. B

cloudy water

BTW well water can change seasonally, but if run threw a softener and filters I do not think that is it.
  3. B

cloudy water

I then would have your Mg tested, and maybe have your LFS check your PO4 levels, also.
  4. B

cloudy water

What are you using for a water source for MU and WC, Running carbon in a reactor would really improve it, By your test numbers it does not sound like a precip problem, unless Mg is really low, what is it?
  5. B

Adding Fish Question

Depending on what type of Clowns, which some are very aggresive and teritorial, I would add them last, and some do not do well in pairs unless they are a mated pair. You mentioned your water params are stable, but can be to high in some #s for fish but stable, stable means they are staying the...
  6. B

Magnesium is Way too high it is 1900

Re: Magnisiumis Way too high it is 1900 Are you dosing Mg? If not, it is a testing error. High Mg is not an emergency.
  7. B

High calcium and low KH

Go to the top of this forum and read the stickies on Reef Chemistry for Beginers 1 thru 4, also the on on Reef Chemistry Articles and read the ones concerning your problem. You need to add Alk and 500 Ca is high but not dangerious.
  8. B

no supplements in tank

I used to do 30gal WC every 2-4 weeks, now I do 3qts a day and the tank looks great all the time, but I do have to add Mg and Ca.
  9. B

Advice on buying my 1st fish....

I would ask this is the fish forum, some clowns are very agresive and teritorial, and would not be the best first fish, you add the more agressive and teritorial fish last.
  10. B

New Lighting - now how do I install it?

Window screen works good to cut the brightness down also, 2 or 3 layers and remove one at a time about a week apart.
  11. B

how to get high nitrate levels down without water changes

Maybe with denitrate in a reactor. other wise you can not, have to do the water change.
  12. B

Water tests... dKh Paranoia?

Those numbers look great, Mg is right in the middle, so is Ca and Dkh, do not chase PH, it is the end result of so many things, even the air in your house if it is closed up with the heat/AC on can cause it to drop. The new RC does run high in dkh here is a link to the last test of it. Synthetic...
  13. B

First, I would listen to Boomer, second get a Mg test kit, third tell us what salt you use, and what is your water change amount and schedule and at what SG level you keep your tank, and do you have corals and are they SPS'S and or LPS's?
  14. B

What brand of Heater to buy?

No matter what heater you buy put them on a controller, heaters are going on and off all the time, when the thermostat fails it fails on!!! and cooks the tank. You set the heater a degree or 2 above the controller set point, and you are good to go.
  15. B

what is this?

Big Al, good to see you pop in, it has been awhile. Sure but for another "Big Guy with a number behind his name you will. I hope you are having a good summer and the project is going well. Bob
  16. B

For every drop of 7ppm in Ca alk will drop 1dkh,water chemistry is very easy to understand once you understand the relationship, here is a link to all the articles you need to know about it, save it read them and re read as needed. Reef Chemistry Articles - Reef Central Online Community Archives
  17. B

Yes get Mg in level, I think is 1280-1350, if Mg is low it is hard to get and keep Ca levels in there spot. Chasing PH is light chasing a woman that does not want a date. AS Boomer stated, if you need to dose Alk then you have your choice of BS or BBS. I have low PH so I went to a salt that has...
  18. B

Instant ocean gel food

I bought the Algae and Krill, I like it but it does cost more per frozen cube, but no freezer burn, It is nice put hopefully they can bring the price down.
  19. B

dying fish

Are the fish being bought from the same place? Some suppliers use Cyanide in the water to stun and capture the fish but it causes liver failure about 6 weeks later.