Search results

1. J

Moving my sandbed

Our move to Brazil approaches. We should be on a plane to Florida to spend time with my mother before Xmas, then on to Rio in January. I have attracted a buyer for our entire setup (!) - but I must say the prospect of moving this thing is daunting and keeps me from setting a date certain...
  2. J

Yellow Tang not eating

Poor thing. She looks sad - slow movement, hanging out at the bottom of the tank, sometimes hiding behind corals. I fed the tank and the Tang was not interested (although he did eat one morsel.) Then I put her favorite food in the seaweed clip. No interest. We're worried. It's lights...
  3. J

More intuitive link title

Hey guys - I was just introducing a newbie to RS and telling him how great a resource it is. He is just beginning the research phase of thinking his tank/set up through. I wanted to direct him to our Knowlegebase (remember that?) for access to all those outstanding articles on everything you...
  4. J

Sad but True - how to sell everything

The exciting news is that Luiz and I are moving to Brazil. He's from Niteroi, across the bay from Rio de Janeiro. We're moving to an apartment we own just a few blocks from the beach. We are moving in November. The sad news is that after four incredible years of doting over our little cube...
  5. J

OT - Freshwater Aquarium Forests!

Not to be heretical or anything... but - a new aquarium store opened in San Francisco that deals exclusively in freshwater Aqua-Forest environments. WOW - are they beautiful! :bugout: Check out their gallery. http://www.aquaforestaquarium.com/
  6. J

Maintenance reminder

From the "Do as I say - not as I do" file: Don't forget to periodically clean out your submersable pumps with a good vinegar and water soaking. I just stared a $115 replacement pump (incl. shipping) for my Euro Reef skimmer in the eyes. After an overnight soaking - maybe I've got it back...
  7. J

Trouble w/ ESV B-Ionic additive

I've been using the B-Ionic system for several years. Since I go through it non-stop, I buy the gallon size and dillute the concentrate. My trouble of late is that the gallon jug of Component-1 (Alkalinity) has been rock solid in the last three purchases. I tried to use one, pounding it...
  8. J

Nemo Santa

A little Christmas spirit.
  9. J

Peppermint Shrimp scared white!

Poor thing. I picked out a nice deep-red striped little Peppermint Shrimp at the LFS. Then on the way to the car Luiz dropped the bag onto the sidewalk. :stars: I freaked as if he had just thrown our baby in front of a train. :eek: When I looked in on it - the poor thing was clear...
  10. J

Using 'purified' water to top off

I use RO/DI water 95% of the time to top off our tank. Every so often I run out of that water and don't have a chance to swing by the LFS to resupply - but the tank needs a top off. Most of the time in these cases I go to the local drug store and buy DISTILLED water for topping off. On very...
  11. J

Monster leather needs to go

Several months ago we introduced a small leather coral (maybe the size of a golf ball). It has since completely taken over the space, is pressing against the glass, and is inhibiting nearby zoanthid colonies. I'm sorry, but she's gotta go. I know we could 'cut her back' and trade off the...
  12. J

Royal Gramma's Big Dig

Our Royal Gramma has taken to diggng out big holes under some rockwork. (One hole at a time - to be repeated when his insensitive aquarist host vaccums the sbstrate and destroys the carefully crafted cavern :verymad: ) I'm guessing this is in preparation to laying eggs. We initially thought...
  13. J

Best submersable circulation pump?

I just listened to another podcast from Talking Reef and it got me thinking about buying a backup submersable pump. (Actually, the podcast conversation suggested that submersables are less than desireable over time and are doomed to fail. I've had mine for nearly four years without a problem -...
  14. J

OT: Live Falcon Nest Cam

We have a pair of Peregrine Falcons nesting in the planter box of the executive balcony on the 30th floor of our building. (The floor is currently vacant.) They had 4 eggs in their nest, but it seems only one has hatched. Our building got notice last month that they were going to postpone...
  15. J

Involuntary RBTA split - ouch!

For a day and a half we could not find one of our RBTAs. We looked in the shadows and deep in the crevaces. Nowhere. :dunno: As this has happended before (!!) I thought to look in the sump, thinking it might have found its way down there. Poor thing. It apparently got sucked over the...
  16. J

What's happening to my green star polyp?

About a month ago I got back from vacation and noticed that our green star polyp seemed to be dying - or at least a part of it was receeding. It has grown over the past couple of years from golfball size to now completely cover the rock we put it on - a little bigger than a good size...
  17. J

IceCap ballast frustration

My experience is just my own but I thought I would add it to the mix. Several months ago I blew my IceCap 660 ballast by changing out a lamp while the system was plugged in (don't do that). I sent the ballast back to the IceCap service center and they repaired it and returned it without...
  18. J

Darn - Lights Out Again

Our VHO lights are not coming on. At first I thought it was my outlet timer. Over the past week when the tank was dark I fiddled with the timer and the lights came back on. So I bought a new timer. Now they are just plain out. Here is what I have tried: Plugged the lights directly into...
  19. J

How do I check my flow?

How do I get an update on the flow in my system? Our set up is a little more than two years old. We have a 58 gallon tank with a sump that has about 15 -20 gallons in it. Our pump, a submersible Aqua-Globe 6000 is rated to 850 gal/h, but with the rise back up to the tank at about one meter I...
  20. J

Let there be light! -- Finally!!

After 13 long days since I blew the ballast on my lights UPS drove up this morning with my rebuilt ballast from IceCap. No Charge, I had 4 months left on my three year warranty. I put it all back together, crossed my fingers, then plugged it in. :snshne: :snshne: :whstlr: :whstlr...