Search results

1. F

I went to an Eric Borneman presentation yesterday.

I went to see Eric Borneman talk yesterday at a cmas event. It was very cool. The presentation was titled setting up the ideal reef aquarium. He talked a lot about different ways reef tanks have been set up over time. Some things I thought to be very interesting were his ideas on water...
  2. F

tattoo

My wife's tattoo is finally done. 47 hrs of work, and over a year. I have approx. 4 hrs left on mine until it's done. She's a high school biology teacher, so she's all in to bugs and stuff. I think it came out pretty good. bill
  3. F

cmas frag swap (pics)

I went to the Chicago marine aquarium society's frag swap yesterday, here's what I picked up. montipora spongodes finally, been wanting some blue zoas forever these are pretty sweet, from Japan. They weren't being very photogenic, but I'll post an open pic tomarrow. I need some help...
  4. F

something I did

I mentioned this project a while back, and promised pics, so here they are. It was supposed to be a reef shark, I think it came out pretty good. bill
  5. F

Bill's sps collection

I think this might be bad. I finished the acclimation on my new light fixture a couple weeks ago. The day after the acclimation was complete I picked up this guy it's a Psamapora digiata Yesterday I grabed this one this one was labeled as an Oregon Blue Tortuosa, but the worker at...
  6. F

low light coraline aglae

Do different coraline algae have different light preferences? It seems since I've upgraded my light all my corraline it slowly going away. All the rocks are almost white at this point. None of my water parameters have changed, and all of my corals look just fine. bill
  7. F

First Acan

woo hoo! I just got my first acan frag tonight. It's green and purple and about 6 heads. I'll post some pics in the morning. bill
  8. F

Harlequin File Fish/Orange spotted file fish

Hi, I just got home from a reef club meeting where one of the members gave a presentation on breeding and raising harlequin file fish. He's kept (I think) 12 adults for a year now, even training them onto frozen/flake food. In the wild they feed exclusively on acropora. Apparently he is the...
  9. F

glitter lines

hi, Is it possible to supplement my t5 lighting with something (perhaps leds) that would give me glitter lines that are seen with MH and led? I'm guessing the light from the t5 would "wash out" any glitter lines produced by small leds. bill
  10. F

Doah!!! or A round about way to do a water change

Man, I messed up this time. I was trying to replace the lights over my refugium with a cp 6500 twisty bulb as the old lighting fixture was leaking current into the tank. The 10 gal fuge is super tight under my 55gal stand, so the new clamp on fixture wouldn't fit in very easily. I thought if...
  11. F

HA in frag tank

Hello. I have a 55 gal reef tank w/o any alge, and a recently setup 20 gal long frag tank that is starting to grow some HA. Both systems are tied into each other along with a 10 gal sump and a 10 gal fuge. The lighting on the 55 is 6X54 W t5s and on the frag tank it's 2X65 W pc lighting. The...
  12. F

pics of some new corals

I stopped by a local reefer's house a couple nights ago and picked up some pretty neat stuff. Her tank was insane, every inch of rock covered in coral. The corals aren't open all the way yet, but I'll post some more pics when they are. Purple Deaths some green protopallys these are...
  13. F

refugium lighting

I had a sm fluorescent light over my 10 gal fuge, but last night I discovered it was producing an electrical current in my tank that was strong enough to make my fingers tingle. I'm wondering what a good light would be for a 10 gal fuge with cheato and a bit of live rock. I'd prefer something...
  14. F

psammacora

I'm looking for info on psammacora. What have been your experiences? I was picking up some green protopallys last night, and the lady accidentally fragged a piece of green psammacora. she gave it to me, so what do I need to know about it? thanks, bill
  15. F

My new lights are finally here!!

I just got done setting up my new api 6X54W fixture. WOW, it's really bright. My old lights were two crappy 2X65W pc fixtures. MY wife thinks they are too bright, so I'll have to make a sheild for them. I'm using 5 pcs of vinyl window screen to help acclimate, and honestly I'm not sure it's...
  16. F

light acclimation

I just ordered an ATI 6X54W HO T5 fixture. My current lighting is 260W of 1 yr old pc bulbs. This is going to be a considerable lighting upgrade, so I'm looking into methods of light acclimation. I was thinking of using 5 pcs of screen and removing 1 a week until they are all gone. Will this...
  17. F

yet another lighting question

hello to all, I just came into some money, so I'm looking for a good t5 fixture. I have a 55 gal with lps and softies now. I only have 260 watts of pc lighting, and the bulbs are almost a year old, so this will be a pretty big upgrade. I don't think I really want to go totally sps, but maybe...
  18. F

Bears Win!!!!!

Bears Win!!!!! Go Giants!!!!
  19. F

Is a clown goby for me?

hello, I have a 55 gal reef tank with a few soft corals and some lps. For the last year I've had a clown fish(2-3" long), a royal gramma that has double in size (about the same size as the clown now), and a cleaner shrimp. Today at the store they had a tank with two yellow clown gobys in...
  20. F

chemistry woes, please advise

hello, I'm having problems with my ph. As of last month, I stretched out the intervals of my water testing from every week to once a month. The tank is a year old now, and up until 3 weeks ago the levels were very consistant, ph 8.3 alk 7 cal 450-480 s.g. 1.025 mg 1380 Although I...