Search results

1. Lee

Chaeto all died...

My GFO has been off for a couple months now. I have had GFO and chaeto in the past though with no problems
  2. Lee

Chaeto all died...

No algaecides. Actually when I got the chaeto, I was running no fish (anemone only) with very little feeding for close to a month. But then I added a few fish and started feeding again, and about 2 weeks later, the chaeto all died. So I would have said lack of nutrients, but it turned white a...
  3. Lee

Chaeto all died...

I got this big ball of chaeto that I had in my new sump and in all turned white and died after a couple weeks... Could lack of water flow be a cause? I was concerned that the water flow through the sump was only skimming off the top layer. I could add a nano powerhead or something. I had a...
  4. Lee

Any obvious flaws/recommendations/suggestions to this 55g sump plan?

I don't really know what I want out of a refugium; I just want clean, algae free water. I suppose I would like to get a Mardarin at some point, so having pods will probably be required.
  5. Lee

that's what I have now, and I've never had problems with bubbles in the DT. Although I do plan to have an ATO system, so eventually, that final chamber should keep an even water level, thus eliminating any potential bubble issues
  6. Lee

I've got TONS of live rock in the DT so I wouldn't think I'd need more biological filtration. I am strongly considering a bare-bottom fuge with cheato only
  7. Lee

Wondering your collective opinions on the refugium section. Can I get some pros and cons, and votes on the following options? 1) Deep sand bed with LR and Cheato/cualerpa 2) no sand, packed full of Cheato/Cualerpa and maybe some LR What will I be losing and/or gaining by skipping the...
  8. Lee

I have the Reef Octopus Diablo XS 160 and it has lines drawn on it showing minumum and maximum water height, and 16" is right in the middle My current sump has a 16" water height in the Skimmer chamber and it has worked great for almost 2 years.
  9. Lee

And it starts... 150g in-wall

I think I screwed up by putting in the sand first, because I'd place like 3 rocks and the whole aquarium was cloudy, so when I ran around to the front, I couldn't see anything!
  10. Lee

And it starts... 150g in-wall

I'm very impressed with your Aquascaping. It is a major PITA trying to do that from behind the tank... You're basically aquascaping blind
  11. Lee

That's not my skimmer; its just a 3D model that I downloaded from Google's 3D warehouse. My skimmer operates between like 14-18" of water depth, and my baffles are set at 16" so the skimmer will just sit flat on the bottom of the tank
  12. Lee

The 4 baffles on the floor are 16", so that's what the water height will be. That height came from my skimmer's required water level. So the water level will always be at 16", except for the return section, which will vary based on evaporation. The tank itself is 21" tall, so that's about 15...
  13. Lee

Hmmm... I see what you're saying, but I don't think its right. When the water evaporates from the tank, the water level of the far right chamber will drop, but the other chambers will always stay at maximum. Water will always keep flowing over that far-right baffle even as the water level in...
  14. Lee

I'll fill it to that height, but as the water evaporates, that is where the water level will go down, so it will have to be constantly topped off. I'm planning to setup an ATO system to refill that far right chamber with fresh water.
  15. Lee

Alright so this is the layout that I decided on. I have all but one panel siliconed in place. I still need to notch the fuge-exit panel to prevent stuff from flowing over the top, then I should be finished.
  16. Lee

The benefits of detritus.

Gravel... That's not a bad idea. A hell of a lot easier to clean than friggin sand!
  17. Lee

Thanks! I would post more, but I always feel like there isn't much I can contribute aside from pictures and my occasional, slightly unorthodox opinion. I've had a SW setup for around 8 years now, and I still feel like a total amateur on this forum. :o That's how deep the knowledge base is on...
  18. Lee

Here's a revised drawing taking some of the suggestions into account: Drain, mechanical filter tray, skimmer, fuge, bubble trap, return
  19. Lee

So you removed the far left (under) baffle, and the first one is an over with the drain pipes submerged? I kinda like that. You said you didn't put in the drip plate but it acts like a settling tank; where is it settling? I might consider ditching the filter socks and just doing with a drip...
  20. Lee

Haha, yeah I always use clear primer and typically blue PVC cement. My family owns a hot tub/bathtub store and I fix all the hot tubs that we've sold, so I've plumbed about a half-million PVC joints in my life, and I'm pretty clean... When I want to be, that is. ;) I've used purple primer...