Search results

1. BHenderson79

NJ Reefers - anybody want my corals?

Thank you so much for the offer, but I am not really looking for a babysitter for them. I'm trying to simplify and run something that's more affordable to maintain for me.
  2. BHenderson79

NJ Reefers - anybody want my corals?

I am going to be redoing my tank, and I would like to find good homes for everything I've got in there right now. This includes a bunch of soft corals, a few fish and crabs, a pair of cleaner shrimp, and about 100lbs of live rock. I'd like to sell it to make a bit of money towards the new...
  3. BHenderson79

Skimmer recommendations?

Good news: wrapping TT around that joint about 12-14 times finally caused it to stop leaking. All the joints seem watertight now. Horrible news: Still leaking, though not at a joint. There's apparently a small crack in the main casing which is letting some water through. I emptied it out and...
  4. BHenderson79

Skimmer recommendations?

it's in as far as it will go.
  5. BHenderson79

Skimmer recommendations?

All right. So I went to the hardware store and got a new elbow joint and thread. Still leaking in the same place - right at the output of the powerhead (where i circled in the picture). I can't very well replace the threads in the powerhead output... should I just resort to caulking it at...
  6. BHenderson79

Skimmer recommendations?

i dont own any wrenches that'll work on smooth, round plastic without destroying it.
  7. BHenderson79

Skimmer recommendations?

i think i am just going to replace one of the elbow joints tomorrow at the hardware store. i seem to have fixed everything else now but i cannot get that one joint to stop leaking, so i'm just going to go buy a new one. i've killed my fingers from all the tightening all night!
  8. BHenderson79

Skimmer recommendations?

Wow, I don't know what my problem is. I have tried tightening things, loosening things, extra teflon tape... i fix one leak and 3 more spring up in its place. I have soaked through 4 bath towels already and I'm losing my mind!
  9. BHenderson79

Skimmer recommendations?

heating it up worked. thanks. i teflon taped everything well when i put it together, but when i just finally turned it on it seems to be leaking in 3 different places. i have to shut it off and take a break for a while before i smash something. it's just really frustrating trying to work...
  10. BHenderson79

Skimmer recommendations?

I ordered a T2 and I almost have it set up now. The last problem remaining is that when I tried to hook up the powerhead into the skimmer input, the powerhead needs 5/8" tubing for the powerhead output. The input for the skimmer needs 1/2" tubing. My local hardware had plenty of other size...
  11. BHenderson79

TDS Detective Work

Is there a standard back flushing procedure for RO/DI units? Mine did not come with any sort of manual so there's been some trial and error for me to make sure it's working optimally.
  12. BHenderson79

TDS Detective Work

Yeah, I understand that about TDS readings, which is why I assumed that the salt residue was the issue from the beginning. I suppose the best test I can do it to just disconnect the output hose from the RO/DI and run the first bit into a plastic cup when I make a new batch of water and I can...
  13. BHenderson79

TDS Detective Work

I keep my basin covered. But I have had problems before with the basin collecting a static charge from somewhere, so could that also cause a false reading?
  14. BHenderson79

TDS Detective Work

Wow, thanks for the effort for recreating that! I suppose I'll start using 2 different buckets to prevent that. Even though it's just salt, it'll be helpful to keep my TDS readings in the RO basin true so I have a clearer indication of the water quality coming out of the system. By the way...
  15. BHenderson79

TDS Detective Work

I recently got a TDS meter and I was just looking for some answers with regard to some numbers I'm seeing. Please let me know if you think my assumptions are correct! Last week I replaced the cartridges on my RO unit. I emptied the old water in the collection basin and made a new batch of...
  16. BHenderson79

banggai cardinal food suggestions

Nope, no starving. He just started eating it!
  17. BHenderson79

TDS Question

That's very good to know! But is there any logical reason why the old Brita cartridge also would've been reading a higher TDS than the tap?
  18. BHenderson79

TDS Question

Like carbon dust from the newly installed Brita unit? I ran it for a couple minutes to try to clear out the carbon (because the water's always gray when you first put on a new brita cartridge). I suppose I'll test it again in a couple days after it's had some time to break in.
  19. BHenderson79

TDS Question

Out of curiosity, I tested the TDS reading for my Brita drinking water filter and compared it to the unfiltered tap water. The tap water is around 100ppm and the Brita was actually higher at 110ppm. I replaced the Brita cartridge and it went UP to 145! I have no clue how the Brita works, but...
  20. BHenderson79

banggai cardinal food suggestions

Random update 3 months later: The juvenile cardinal in my tank suddenly started ravenously accepting all the dry food I put in the tank about a week ago. Microcrabs, flakes, whatever! I haven't fed any brine since then and it seems quite happy. This makes my life much easier!