Search results

1. W Churchill

Coraline algae regression

My tank is now around 8 months old. I noticed today that some of the brown algae was growing over the Coraline algae in some places, previously the Coraline algae tended to maintain a few millimetres of clear space around itself, presumably because of anti-whatevers (yes I'm not particularly...
  2. W Churchill

Bit worried about my readings.

My tank (400 L) is only about 6 months old and so far amongst other goodish readings my nitrite has been somewhere between 0 and 0.02 ppm and my phosphate has been 0, today my nitrite is 0.05 ppm and my phosphate is almost 0.1 ppm. I'm sort of thinking my nitrite might be because I've just...
  3. W Churchill

Should I clean my skimmer

New set up about 6 weeks old. Had a few disasters with the skimmer overflowing at night (I know it will pass) Have set it fairly low and not had any disasters for over a week. Tonight I knocked the settings and the skimmer is too dirty to see the level properly, would you clean it for...
  4. W Churchill

Ph

I'm constantly reminded by posts here and by my retailer not to worry about fluctuations in Ph between readings taken just before and at the end of each daily light cycle. Thing is, I don't have such fluctuation my Ph is steady at 8.2 whatever time I take my reading. Is this good or bad. I...
  5. W Churchill

Calcium

Posted this elsewhere, but I guess it's best here. I've been using Tropic Marin balanced calcium supplement from the beginning but always keep some Salifert Calcium on hand in case I need to add calcium without raising the alkalinity (I also keep some buffer on hand just in case as well)...
  6. W Churchill

Which result do I take

Posted this elsewhere, but I guess it's best here. I use the Salifert test kits for strontium and calcium. The result from the calcium test kit is always slightly different from the first part of the strontium kit (which gives a calcium result also). Which of these results would likely be...
  7. W Churchill

Calcium or balanced Calcium supplement

I've been using Tropic Marin balanced calcium supplement from the beginning but always keep some Salifert Calcium on hand in case I need to add calcium without raising the alkalinity (I also keep some buffer on hand just in case as well) For ages now I haven't needed to add the Salifert...
  8. W Churchill

Most accurate results.

I use the Salifert test kits for strontium and calcium. The result from the calcium test kit is always slightly different from the first part of the strontium kit (which gives a calcium result also). Which of these results would likely be most accurate.
  9. W Churchill

Salifert strontium test kit - could do with help.

Anyone else here use the salifert strontium test kit, please let yourself be known, I could do with some help.
  10. W Churchill

White spot

I battled for months against white spot, I even went so far as to run 3 x 25 W vectron UV sterilisers and even got a 55 W commercial P1 in the end, but nothing seemed to do the trick, I never got over a low level infection. Then a couple of weeks ago I lost a flat fish that I had more or less...
  11. W Churchill

Green Dust

I have what I can only describe as a green dust on the surface of the water. The odd thing is I have a marisys filter which takes water from the surface rather than conventional filters which take it from, well, elsewhere, I would have thought this would scoop such stuff up fairly quickly, so it...
  12. W Churchill

Keeping my nem clean.

So how should I keep my nem clean. No idea which variety I have, I've had him for about 4 months now, he's grown, he doesn't move much anymore, guess he's found his sweet spot, he eats well once a week. He's white with purple tips and measures around 9" in diameter. However he has allowed...
  13. W Churchill

I've changed my lighting schedule.

I've changed my lighting schedule. What do you guys think. Oceans One Log 3
  14. W Churchill

getting rid of white spot

I set up my second tank some months ago after having a fair amount of success with my first. My first had no sterilisation and I'd never had a problem with white spot. My first fish in my second tank was a coral beauty, it died within 5 days. Actually it went missing for no more than 24 hours...
  15. W Churchill

Is my shrimp bugging my anemone

I've an anemone for about 6 weeks now, no idea what he's called, he's quite small (his head is anyway) he sinks is foot right down into the sand and only shows his head, he is able to move his tentacles rather than them just waving in the current and his tentacles are like fern leaves a little...
  16. W Churchill

Boxer Shrimp

I've had a boxer shrimp for about 3 weeks, I rather liked him so today I got another. Within about a couple of hours they were entangled together which I naively hoped could be them mating (FOOL), anyhow an hour or so on and my new boxer shrimp has lost his two main claws. He (I say he, I have...
  17. W Churchill

moon phases

I have 2 tanks, one has some small blue LED's which I keep on when my lights are off, the corals in the tank seem to do much better because of this and I mentioned this to someone who told me that simulating the moon phases was very good. I really don't know much about this or what equipment...
  18. W Churchill

moving my anemone along

Since I got my anemone (6 weeks ago) it sat in one place for about 4 weeks but moved itself about 2 weeks ago, for the last 2 weeks it has sat on my polyps. I figured it may move again but hasn't, I'm concerned my polyps may not recover if and when the anemone does move, but have hesitated...
  19. W Churchill

Nitrate

Sl 1.0245 Ph. 8.2 NO2. 0 NO3. 1 mg/l Ca. 430 PO4. 0 Mg. 1400 Noobie here, I have 2 tanks one is 170 ltrs (4 months old) the other 50 ltrs (9 months old), the above readings apply to both. I'm a little worried about my NO3 readings, I know they seem good but can they really be that good...
  20. W Churchill

Algae

Sl 1.0245 Ph. 8.2 NO2. 0 NO3. 1 mg/l Ca. 430 PO4. 0 Mg. 1400 I'm still a noobie at this, my tank is only around 4 months old. It's 170 ltr with a marysis filter. I'd gotten into a fairly regular routine of changing around 10 ltr of water every 3rd day. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and...