Search results

1. W Churchill

Coraline algae regression

Point taken, the test kit is actually the most difficult to use of all the kits I use and probably the one I'd classify as the least reliable, I guess I'd be safer to aim for 10.
  2. W Churchill

All makes sense to me, except the strontium matter. My test kit tells me to maintain a level of 10-16, are you saying this advice is incorrect. (you have me worrying now), yes I'm adding it according to the instructions on the bottle, but also monitoring it with a salifert test kit)
  3. W Churchill

I'm reasonably confident with my Ph reading, it fluctuates (colour) a little, but never enough to call it the next one along on the scale (which are 8.0 and 8.4), if I had to estimate I'd say it fluctuates between 8.15 and 8.22. I can also see it reads all ranges when I wash the vile out with...
  4. W Churchill

My worst reading is nitrite which is not zero but somewhere between zero and 0.02 ppm. This is likely due to recent introduction of more livestock to try to increase my nitrate levels which are somewhere between zero and 2 ppm (I want to introduce a clam and understand you need a bit of nitrate...
  5. W Churchill

I didn't mention my phosphate reading. It's zero, or as close to zero as is possible to tell. I appreciate phosphate test kits don't test for all types of phosphate and are often a best guess, but I use the salifert kit, I use the double sensitive test and after zero the next reading on the...
  6. W Churchill

RO water, lights are 8 months old 600W metal halide. No urchins, not sure what else would eat it.
  7. W Churchill

My tank is now around 8 months old. I noticed today that some of the brown algae was growing over the Coraline algae in some places, previously the Coraline algae tended to maintain a few millimetres of clear space around itself, presumably because of anti-whatevers (yes I'm not particularly...
  8. W Churchill

Bit worried about my readings.

I took a reading before cleaning this week (0), then after (0.03) then 12 hours after (0), there was significantly less algae when i cleaned this week.
  9. W Churchill

It's a Salifert kit, I do take readings with a certain amount of scepticism, but expected them to provide an indication of levels at least, maybe I shouldn't, I always take a double dose test (twice as sensitive) and any unusual readings I do another test. Anyhow the reading is zero again, so...
  10. W Churchill

My tank (400 L) is only about 6 months old and so far amongst other goodish readings my nitrite has been somewhere between 0 and 0.02 ppm and my phosphate has been 0, today my nitrite is 0.05 ppm and my phosphate is almost 0.1 ppm. I'm sort of thinking my nitrite might be because I've just...
  11. W Churchill

Should I clean my skimmer

I'm afraid all that equipments gone now, I decided to consolidate into 2 x 400 ltr tanks, one for fresh water and one for marine, they're identical which is nice although a sump on the freshwater is a little strange. Thanks for your help, getting the bucket right now.
  12. W Churchill

I have the Aqua One ProSkim G220. I'm glad to hear cleaning is not a bad thing, i'm almost ready to go ahead but will wait to see if my skimmer type makes any difference. To be honest i was almost willing to clean it whether it was good or bad, to avoid another mop up in the morning.
  13. W Churchill

New set up about 6 weeks old. Had a few disasters with the skimmer overflowing at night (I know it will pass) Have set it fairly low and not had any disasters for over a week. Tonight I knocked the settings and the skimmer is too dirty to see the level properly, would you clean it for...
  14. W Churchill

Calcium at 750

I use salifert, it only reads up to 500
  15. W Churchill

Ph

It's a test kit, it only has colour bands every 0.2 but it's easy enough to estimate to 0.05 if you follow what I mean, for example my smaller tank (48 ltrs) varies between 8.15 and 8.3. (but if I'm truthful I don't give my small tank the same attention) No Kalk, I use a one part supplement...
  16. W Churchill

Ph

I'm constantly reminded by posts here and by my retailer not to worry about fluctuations in Ph between readings taken just before and at the end of each daily light cycle. Thing is, I don't have such fluctuation my Ph is steady at 8.2 whatever time I take my reading. Is this good or bad. I...
  17. W Churchill

In a drop of water

Slightly off topic, but related in a way: My son has a freshwater tank and I find it difficult to get him to carry out regular maintenance, he has been known not to change his water for months. However I have always been surprised by his nitrate levels which are well under 10 and just how...
  18. W Churchill

Most accurate results.

Yes those are typically the sort of differences I see. I did try pausing itunes while I did the tests but it didn't seem to make any difference. :-)
  19. W Churchill

Most accurate results.

They have always been different with every test kit I've had, not a huge difference but different. I've always assumed the the calcium test kit to be correct for two reason: 1 it's purpose is to test for calcium whereas the purpose of the other kit is to test for strontium. 2. Each drop of...
  20. W Churchill

Calcium or balanced Calcium supplement

Firstly, I don't test my magnesium all that often, I always get the same OK result and never have precipitation anywhere else (if it is precipitation-but what else can it be-I can't actually see it on the bottom of the marisys, but presume that's where it is.). However I'm going to test it now...