Is he the good or bad?( but certainly not the ugly!)

shark32

Hi all,
I am in the process of cycling my second tank, which is a 24 gallon nanocube. One of the pieces of live rock i had gotton had some beautiful orange and blue sponges on it or so I thought. I was looking at the rock today and noticed one of the blue sponnges was moving.. I think he is a type of nudibranch.. I grabbed a few pics of it but is so tiny only one came out somewhat clear.. if anyone knows anything about him, I would love to know if he's good or not..he certainly is pretty though!!! Here he is in the lower right corner :
IMG_0217.jpg

thanks!!

soco

It is real hard to tell in that picture but I would probably agree that it looks like a nudi.

shark32

Thanks guys...tnwillia, thanks for the the thread, i did not see him in there but after more googling, I came across a picture of a type of nudibranch that looks like him..it's called, 'dendronotus frondosus'. I cannot find a picture of one one that's as blue as the one in my tank but the things sticking off the those pics match what's on my little guy..
thanks again for your help!!:bouncer:
Whatever he is, i hope he's a good guy!

shark32

thanks Robzilla...I went to try to get another pic and now I have found another one!! Now there are at least two of them..there are 3 other spots that are blue on the rock..so far not moving..I think for the time being, until I can confirm their true nature or they prove to be destructive, I will leave them alone..I do not plan on putting any corals in this tank..only one or two small fish and maybe a small reef lobster..so maybe they will be fine...

Robzilla

If you are just doing a FOWLR then you should be ok. If you ever want to add corals then I suggest seek and destroy.

cindyp

here is some pics of hh nudi's I have they are not in the main display. they really are beautiful creatures.
where did your rock come from? this one is believed to have come in on a piece of florida rock I bought and I was
unable to get a positive ID on him some looked similar though.
063-3-1.jpg

061-5-1.jpg

shark32

Thanks guys for the responses..Cindy, I have no idea where the rock came from..the guy in the LFS said that it was Fiji rock and he wasn't sure where it came from..what do you feed yours?..upon checking my tank this morning before I went to work, I have found yet another one..so now I have 3 of them.. I took a few more pics that I will post later..I am going to try to make them bigger before I post them
Thanks again everyone!!

cindyp

this guy is probably an inch and a quarter long and he is always hanging out where the algae was
so I think he eats algae lol its kinda hard to tell what something that tiny is doing, he's so pretty I didn't
have the heart to kill them. I know there are many different kinds of nudi's and some can really cause problems
in a reef but so far these don't seem to do anything but eat algae. the Ocean is a mystery:)

shark32

Cindy, they definately are very pretty..are your in the fuge or sump? here are a few more shots of the one ones in my nano..
IMG_0243-1.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

shark32

I hit the reply key before I finished..here are a few more pics..and yes, Cindy, the ocean is one giant mystery waiting to be discovered!! and what better place than my family room to do it!!:bluenod:
thanks again!!

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

cindyp

wow amazing creatures! they started out in the RSM 130 so I put the rock they live on it the fuge I see them
from time to time but not as often as I did when the were in the 130. keep watching them when I 1st discovered mine they were
very tiny but they have grown it's kinda cool to think how mucher bigger they might get:)

shark32

Yea, two of these guys are about the size of a grain of rice and the third one in really tiny..I am wondering if I should put them in my refugium from my 75 gallon..thereis plenty of algae to eat in there..right now there is nothing in this little tank, it's still cycyling..