Help ID please!

lovemyclown

Just wondering what this is... thank you for the help

IMG00117-20100715-0208.jpg

David Shaw

Its Aptsia. You can get a product called Apstia X that kills them off. They are considered a pest.

They can sting other corals and populate across the tank, so it is wise to get rid of them before they spread.

marineman

Question - someone else posted a picture of this on the website and when people replied they called it Coral cup anemone. ?????

marineman

The ones I have have no tube base like Aiptasia. Its hard and when touched the tentacles retract in. The tentacles are long like the picture above.

Alien2100

Regretfully, I'm very familiar with aiptasia, and it doesn't look like any aiptasia I've ever seen. It looks more like a cup coral of some type. If it's an aiptasia in a light source it should be light to dark tan in color, from zooxanthellae algae in there body. There only clear when they grow in areas void of light (caves or under rock work) in this case they feed on nutrients in the water. And while I've seen a few lay flat against the rock work it's not common, they normally extend there bodies out to get light or feed. And when disturbed pull back into the rock leaving only a soft mass or if there far enough back in the rock work, nothing.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
thank you all for the help... nanoreef how did you know i took the pic with a blackberry? lol

If you download and install the free opanda iexif viewer it'll not only tell you the camera used, but often the camera settings and photo editing software used. It works on most (but not all) pictures in forums and often others on the internet. After installation just right click on a photo, and choose "View Exif....." from the menu.

Exif viewer : Opanda IExif - Professional EXIF / GPS / IPTC Viewer & Editor in Windows, IE & Firefox

your picture info:

[Image]
Make = Research In Motion
Model = BlackBerry 9550
Orientation = top/left
Software = QuickTime 7.6.4
Date Time = 2010-07-15 02:24:48

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 0"
Exif Version = Version 2.2
Date Time Original = 2010-07-15 02:07:53
Subject Distance = Unknown
Light Source = unknown
Flash = No flash function
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 2048
Exif Image Height = 1536

[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 108 x 160

It may only work on Windows PCs (with Internet Explorer or Firefox browsers) - I'm not sure about Macs.

seafansar

+1 on hidden cup coral. They are neat little corals.

Looks like you might have flatworms too, unfortunately. It's a little hard to see in the pic, but I see a few red flatworm looking things on the top and bottom of the rock. Use Flatworm Exit on them if you do have them. Get rid of them now while there aren't that many. If not, you'll be kicking yourself later on.