lovemyclown

Hi all. New to the site and new to reef tanks. I have a 35g hex salt that just has a couple fish, some live rock, and crabs. I just got my 55g reef set-up going about 3 weeks ago . Just added some live rock today and would appreciate any advice to start out with. 55g glass tops with Aqueon pro flex sump, with Coralife super skimmer rated for up to 125g, a rio aqua pump 2500, and a Coralife (i think) T5 4bulb set up. Would like to have Corals and Inverts with a pair of Clowns and a Yellow or Blue Tang.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!

I'm gonna jump in, sounds like you have a wet dry trickle filter w/bio balls that's no good for a reef, I would replace the Rio pump as the return cause they seem to have a stopping issue, meaning they just stop working they are just not quality pumps, next up the lights if you have coralife T5ho you need to look into a better lighting system and if your using T5HO get a setup with independent reflectors coral life T5 are not very good.

Sounds like the LFS had it's way with you and if you can take back some of that equipment i would be running to the service desk.

OK well enough with my rant Welcome to RS and look forward to getting to know you :)

lovemyclown

thank you rgfast and to eric i was wrong i have marineland t5 deluxe ho strip light with 2 daylight and 2 actinic and as for the sump no wet dry and no bio balls... refugium set up with live rock... sorry for the info earlier little tired today lol

DaveK

Welcome to RS!

I'm gonna jump in, sounds like you have a wet dry trickle filter w/bio balls that's no good for a reef, I would replace the Rio pump as the return cause they seem to have a stopping issue, meaning they just stop working they are just not quality pumps, next up the lights if you have coralife T5ho you need to look into a better lighting system and if your using T5HO get a setup with independent reflectors coral life T5 are not very good.

Sounds like the LFS had it's way with you and if you can take back some of that equipment i would be running to the service desk.

OK well enough with my rant Welcome to RS and look forward to getting to know you :)

I had to check out the Aqueon ProFlex sump myself. It's a rather interesting product. It can be set up as a wet-dry (trickle) filter, or as a refugium, or as a berlin sump. See this link to the manufacturer (offsite) - Aqueon » Products » Aqueon ProFlexâ„¢ Modular Sump Filtration

Naturally, I'd recommend seting it up as a berlin sump.

Yes, I do agree, Rio pumps are a product I don't recommend, due to there large failure rates. They are ok for non-critical areas, such as mixing salt or for water flow, but I would never trust one as a main return pump.

The lighting might be ok, since the original poster isn't sure of the exact fixture in use. I'd agree with you, for best results, T5 lighting should have individual reflectors for each bulb.

DaveK

Hi all. New to the site and new to reef tanks. I have a 35g hex salt that just has a couple fish, some live rock, and crabs. I just got my 55g reef set-up going about 3 weeks ago . Just added some live rock today and would appreciate any advice to start out with. 55g glass tops with Aqueon pro flex sump, with Coralife super skimmer rated for up to 125g, a rio aqua pump 2500, and a Coralife (i think) T5 4bulb set up. Would like to have Corals and Inverts with a pair of Clowns and a Yellow or Blue Tang.

thank you rgfast and to eric i was wrong i have marineland t5 deluxe ho strip light with 2 daylight and 2 actinic and as for the sump no wet dry and no bio balls... refugium set up with live rock... sorry for the info earlier little tired today lol

I agree with Eric about replacing the Rio pump. They just are not to be trusted as a main return pump. This doesn't mean you need to return it. It will be ok used as a circulation pump in the main tank or as a backup.

Your tank is just for tangs, but choose carefully here. Usually a wider tank would be preferred.

The Marineland lighting you have doesn't seem to have individual reflectors for each bulb. This reduces the total light output by quite a lot. On a 55, I don't think you'll have a problem unless you want to keep SPS corals or clams. Zoas, mushrooms, soft corals, and most LPS corals should be ok.

Live rock in the sump/refugium is a mistake. Put the live rock in the tank where it belongs. Live rock in a refugium, especially when it's an integral part of the sump and gets full water flow, tends to be come a dirt trap. This leads to an increase in nitrates. Also, be sure and clean the filter socks at least weekly. Every few days would be better. You don't want any dirt they trap from getting into the refugium area.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

landshark

:welcomera to RS!! lovemyclown and I have one advice to give you which Eric already eluded to, Stay away from the LFS until you get more information on what you need. IMO the LFS can provide you with convenience but as far as information goes I would check and recheck everything they tell you.
That been say happy reefing. :hallo: