Study links coral growth to sound

Frankie

RS STAFF
Story brought to you by: 1ofManyNguyens. :thumbup:
53778127-1.jpg

Many coral reefs worldwide have been dying, and one researcher pointed out that human activity in the ocean could be making enough noise to interfere with the baby coral’s ability to find safe places to settle. (Wolf Hilbertz, Associated Press / May 20, 2010)
For more: Study links coral growth to sound - latimes.com

Frankie

RS STAFF
Makes me wonder what the life in our aquariums think about the noise we make in homes and the equipment we use to keep the aquariums running.

Cassette87

Good point Frank.. makes me glad that my tank in my new place will be out in the back of the living room all by itself.

This seems strange since similar studies prove the opposite for plant growth... maybe plants like classical, and coral likes AC/DC? :lol:

Frankie

RS STAFF
My corals must have been from space. My reef was spectacular and I mostly watch Star Trek :D

Frankie

RS STAFF
This might make and arguement for placeing your equipment as far away as possible from your tank as possible.
Fully agree. I am no to sure if noise was a factor but my tank never looked as good until I relocated all my stuff to the garage. IF you read my tank build thread you can see that happening. I am sure the zeovit change over helped a lot but you make a good point COD. :thumbup:

chops29

I can tell you this our tanks are extremely noisey. No matter how far you put the equipt. The powerheads alone would be a deafing roar to us if we were in there not to mention reverb from the glass or acrylic.