HELP converting RSM to Planted Tank

phreeflow

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and joined specifically for this RSM owners club. It seems you all really know your stuff!!:bow: I have a RSM 130 that I'd like to convert to a freshwater planted tank but need some advice.:help: I called Red Sea and they said I should just ask other owners online cuz they can only recommend their stuff. :smack:

Background One:
The Red Sea Max 130 has 110 watts (2 x 55w "T5 bulbs") of 50/50 actinic and 10,000k lights. This is not the right color temperature for plants and it's way too much wattage since I wont be running C02. Red Sea tech support says I'm stuck with these 50/50 lights and that they know of no other power compact that I can use with their system. Strangely, they said that if I use a 6500k light (appropriate for plants) that it will burn up my canopy :confused:...even it's the exact same voltage. This makes no sense to me and they didn't give any reasoning either. I'm a bit stuck now since this reef lighting just won't work for me and I'm out a lot of money on this expensive tank so please help. :banghead:

Lighting Questions:
1) Is it true that I could not use 55 watt 6500k power compact bulbs without burning down the canopy?
2) Are there any other bulbs I could safely use with this ballast that you folks know of besides the red sea brand?
3) Ideally, I'd like to run less lighting...something like 2 x 24watt or 2 x 35 watt power compacts...will the ballast be able to safely handle lower wattages without the bulbs "exploding" like I was told by Red Sea?
4) As a last resort, could I just run one of the stock 55watt bulbs and leave the other slot empty and it be safe?

Background Two:
After removing the skimmer, the water flow in the filtration chamber has dropped dramatically and it really does a horrible job due to reduced flow. I'd like to convert this to freshwater and would like to know what mods I can do to make this happen?

Filtration Questions:
1) Any suggestions on how I can setup the media in the back with skimmer removed to have it more freshwater appropriate?
2) Any suggestions on how I can increase the flow through the filtration chambers with the skimmer removed?...for example, could I use a different or more powerful power head/pump? if so, what brands?
3) Could I use two of StevieT's famous racks in the back??

Sorry for the super long post and thanks in advance to everyone that responds. BTW: I did look for other posts similar to this but I just couldn't find the right answers so sorry if this is a old topic and I'm beat_dead_horse. HELP A BROTHER OUT!!! :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums and RSM Club, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I don't have much advise on the conversion to fw, but I will give this thread a bump & you a big welcome :)

Dweezil

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with a planted tank either. There is a freshwater forum here so you might be better off asking someone there?
I think most of us that have the RSM are SW/Reef. I bet it would look really nice though and if you do get it running that way would love to see some photos.

Nowellsy SNR

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with a planted tank either. There is a freshwater forum here so you might be better off asking someone there?
I think most of us that have the RSM are SW/Reef. I bet it would look really nice though and if you do get it running that way would love to see some photos.
+1

phreeflow

Thanks for the warm welcome. I understand that this tank and this forum is mostly for saltwater/reef enthusiasts. I guess my question really isn't how run a planted tank but how I could improve flow without the skimmer in place and most importantly, about what I could do to lower the light output.

The three most important questions I have are:
1) Does anyone know if I could use any other brand power compact lights other than Red Sea's 50/50 bulb? I'd like to install just 10k bulbs or better yet, 6500k compacts.

2) Is it possible to run lower wattage power compacts in the hood? I think many ballasts are able to run a range of lights so I was wondering if this is capable of running 2x24 watt or 2 x36 watts.

3) Or....Could I just run one bulb like 1x55 watt and unplug the other bulb and still be safe?

Any techies, electricians, engineers out there???
thanks!!!!!!!!!

Oakhouse

No experience with freshwater what so ever! but will try to answer some of your other questions.

!!WARNING: I AM NOT A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN, I AM A COMPUTER ENGINEER!! THE ADVICE BELOW SHOULD BE TAKEN AS SUCH!

In regard to the electricals, I see no issue just running one bulb, its the same as if you had a dead bulb (maybe someone will give you a dead bulb?). The main thing would be sealing up the holder to ensure no water can get in to the contacts, probably best to split the hood and remove the wires to the holders if you go down this root.

In regard to running a lower watt bulb, I would think the ballast would still output the same power which I think would probably just burn out a lower watt bulb. You can get dimming ballasts, which would reduce the bulb output.

I see no reason, as long as the wattage, and connectors are the same with using any other power compact bulb.

Hope this helps! Oh and welcome to RS!! :)

ps.. Think I would go with trying to find a dead bulb! Seems the easiest solution to me.

russbooger

Hi Phreeflow

I know certain Arcadia brand lights (in the UK) will fit the RSM, and some have the correct colour spectrum for optimum plant growth, thinking along the lines of the old Grolux tubes.

As for flow and filtration, with the RSM (salt anyway) flow is the key, so anything that reduces flow rate is not good - however if you're going for a planted freshwater tank, I don't think you should worry that much about increasing flow through your filtration media. You could install a more powerful outlet pump if you want.

Are you planning to use the standard RSM ceramic filter media? And if its a freshwater planted tank, are you going down the CO2 enrichment route?

Russ

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
phreeflow - :welcomera a couple have replaced the stock bulbs with Coralife 65W Power Compacts. They fit a bit tighter than the stock bulbs but supposedly will work fine. I know these come in 10000K, but I'm not sure if other colors are available or not.

Coralife 65 W straight pin

If you get a FW RSM going we'd like to see it! The only "total conversion" I can remember is being modified into a gecko tank.

phreeflow

All great advice! I appreciate all the effort and helpful input. I wish I knew of this site in my reef keeping days.

Russbooger: I never heard of those bulbs but will look into it. I will be keeping the ceramic media and adding more sponges, Purigen, and possibly bio balls. I'd rather not go down the Co2 enrichment method to keep costs down that's why I'm looking for a way to decrease light output.

Reefmack: That's some great info there...it's exactly what I was hoping for!!! Running just one 65 watt Coralife 10k or 6.5k would be awesome. Is this a for sure thing that the ballast can handle higher wattages like that? If you could direct me to the source of the info, I'd be very appreciative.

Oakhouse: What you say makes a lot of sense...one light will definitely run even with a dead bulb so I can probably just run one. I didn't quite understand what you meant by: "I see no reason, as long as the wattage, and connectors are the same with using any other power compact bulb." Did you mean that there probably won't be a problem using any power compact bulb so long as they are 55 watts each? A bit confusing as to why Red Sea calls them T5's...they look like power compacts to me?

Anyone have a dead bulb they'd be willing to ship? I'll pay :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
phreeflow - I can't answer the ballast question - only posts by a few folks that replaced the stock bulbs with the 65 W Coralife bulbs. The only concern they had was if they were really pulling 65 W or not, and if they were as bright or as nice a color as the stock lights - no one ever mentioned a ballast problem with running them. They've usually been used when the RSM bulbs were in short supply and not available. I have a feeling they won't be running at the full 65 W but I'm no good at electrical stuff! :)

phreeflow

phreeflow - I can't answer the ballast question - only posts by a few folks that replaced the stock bulbs with the 65 W Coralife bulbs. The only concern they had was if they were really pulling 65 W or not, and if they were as bright or as nice a color as the stock lights - no one ever mentioned a ballast problem with running them. They've usually been used when the RSM bulbs were in short supply and not available. I have a feeling they won't be running at the full 65 W but I'm no good at electrical stuff! :)

You've done more than enough....thanks again for the info.:clink: I googled it and the only definitive thing I could find was various people that tried 65 watt bulbs and noticed it to be dimmer than the stock RSM bulbs.

I think I'll just go with one 65 watt, 10k bulb and use a dead bulb on the other side. I fixed the filtration problem by cutting out the false wall on a 12 gallon nano cube and shoving it into the back of the RSM. Flow is a lot better and water is crystal clear! :whstlr:

Thanks everyone!!! Again, if anyone has a dead bulb, I'd pay to buy it. thanks!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
phreeflow - don't forget to let us see what you're up to! SW or FW it's still a RSM tank. :)