Reefer Addict's Reef

wooddood

the wood dude
looks great dave kudos on a job well done and very well documented. sorry to hear about the cleaner shrimp though, i know it always makes me feel like i've done something wrong whenever i lose an inhabitant. good luck with the new reef you done good my friend.

Craig Manoukian

How long did your Cleaner live? I had a pair for about two years and they were a good 3.5" - 4" from stem to stern before disappearing.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Dave! Love the goby!:)

So exactly how much LR is in your tank? I think you have a winner there with that aquascaping theme!:D

addict

The cleaner shrimp was a little over 4" long and over a year old... I got it when it was about 2.5" long, so it was probably pretty mature when I got it.
I currently have right around 120lbs. of live rock in the tank, since I wanted to keep the floorplan 'open' for branching corals, and give them plenty of room between them and the waterline. I may add a few pieces in the future, but we'll see how it goes.

Gobies sure can scowl, can't they? ;)
Almost scary... :D

Thanks again everybody for your kindness... it's much appreciated. :)

Maxx

Dave, that looks great. The overhead frontal shot really shows all the neat valleys and caves you have in your aquascaping. Good job. Also left plenty of room for fish to swim.
Nick

semigodd154

nice job on the rockwork everything looks great its amazing how small 120lbs of rock looks in that tank though anyway nice pics keep em coming.

SeaHag

I guess it is time for my comments here. Sorry about the cleaner shrimp. We were just talking about him this weekend. :(

And from experience, I can tell you that gobies can get in your face and back you down. They do that in the wild all the time. Very territorial creatures. They are similar to small dogs, but think they are dobermans. :D

Wonderful pics David. As the time goes along, I am sure you will present us with more. :bigbounce

Keep up the good work..... Mom

addict

Thanks everyone. :)
Well, I finally did it... I got a shot of the dottyback! :D
He's been hanging with the firefish lately, though I'm not sure if it's out of 'friendship', or if he's waiting for the right moment to boot him out of his territory. :D

Here's a pic of them together... of course the dottyback just 'had' to turn to the right as I took the shot.

Attachments

• firefish-and-dottyback.jpg
    firefish-and-dottyback.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

addict

The hi-fin banded goby is also starting to venture out of his burrow after about a week in the tank... his name is 'snake' since he gapes whenever something comes into his territory, and shows off his two little 'fangs' inside the top of his mouth. :D
I tried to get a shot of the pistol shrimp as well, but it was too intent on burrowing to hold still while I took a picture.

Attachments

• banded-goby.jpg
    banded-goby.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

addict

Thanks Craig. :D

I also bit the bullet and ordered another chiller... this time from a company that hopefully won't be going out of business anytime soon...
It's an AquaLogic 1/3Hp, which I'm pretty sure will be more than enough...

I was working with the original person I bought the CSL chiller from to get a replacement, but the only choices he had were either a CSL 1/3Hp (which would land me in the same boat I'm in now should a problem arise), or an Aquamedic Titan 1/2Hp (bleccccch!).
Instead I'm pressing for a refund on the CSL chiller and bought the AquaLogic... I'll keep everyone posted how it goes.

Thanks again for following along and humoring me. :D

addict

Well EK, since you were so nice about asking... :)

Attachments

• tank-front-2.jpg
    tank-front-2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

wooddood

the wood dude
it's the bomb dave! it looks better everytime i see it, hint hint lol. it's awesome you should be very proud you did an outstanding job bud. oh yea keep those pics coming. please pretty please with a budweiser on top lol. no wait a case of budweiser on top lol.