Reefer Addict's Reef

SeaHag

David ~ I have not posted in a couple days. Just reading all the kudos! :D

As in all things, you will overcome. You have already replaced the CBB with something better (even though we are going to miss him), and with the chiller, it is only money! :laugh:

The before and after photos of the living room speak for themselves. Your new tank is just awesome! I do not think there are words to express how elegant it looks compared to the older tank.

You have done a wonderful and incredible job from start to finish. Don't be surprised if everyone that upgrades over the next year or so comes to you for help and/or assistance. But, I think that is what this thread is for, right! :)

Keep the photos coming....:D :D

addict

Well gawrsh, mom... :cool:

It definitely brightens up the living room (830w of light tends to do that)... :D

Well, I had the camera out again this morning, trying once again to get a snapshot of the elusive orchid dottyback... but once again I came up empty... :smirk:

I'll get it sooner or later. I also haven't seen the goby or shrimp yet this morning, but their burrow is right under the rocks at the front of the tank, so I should hopefully be able to get a good pic sooner or later. :)

Here's a pic that you don't see everyday... these guys are so cool that they got their own rock on anemone island... most people see them as pests, but the variety I have is so pretty I hate to kalk them...

Attachments

• majanos.jpg
    majanos.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

addict

And since the Rose BTA was out a bit fuller this morning, I took another shot of it as well... it had me worried last night... it was all shriveled up and laying sideways on the rockwork... then I realized it was... uh... using the outhouse. :D

It's sitting between 3 of the lesser roses, and they seem to be getting along fine... (they're actually touching now and there's no recoil from either species).

I've been trying to get the big one at the right of the photo to move, but it looks like I'll have to wait until it's gonna split... it's foot is buried too deep into the rock.

Attachments

• rose-anemone-2.jpg
    rose-anemone-2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

SeaHag

I never laughed so hard... "then I realized it was... uh... using the outhouse." :D :D :D

Everything is looking really well and all marine life seem to be adjusting to their new surroundings. When I get there in two months it should be well on the way to being incredibly awesome!

Keep the pics coming. I enjoy the wonderful view. :thumbup:

Last edited:

mnreefman

wow..... dave i love it, its a bummer bout the chiller, but ya know what, deep down you knew one thing was gunna give.... heck it wouldnt be life without one bump... anyway. i love the set up... you deffinetly have my aproval to keep.. (as if that means anything).... great work my friend

addict

Thanks everybody. :)

I agree Casey... even though they're majanos I think I'm going to keep them around. I have them quarentined on anemone island, and if they wander away from there, well then they'll get the tweezer treatment... ;)

I only picked off 3 (from other pieces of rock) when redoing the tank, and left the other 5.

Well, it's been almost two whole days since the last update ( :eek: ) so I figured I'd better get something up here quick... :D

Anyway, I finally got the egg-crate structure finished for the growout area, so I thought I'd post a pic of it in use... here's a shot under the stand.
You can see the G3 skimmer churning away merrily in the background... this thing sure generates some skimmate... already filled the collection cup half full once in less than a week... and I still barely have anything in the tank. :)

Attachments

• eggcrate.jpg
    eggcrate.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

addict

I was also able to take the chiller into a local refrigeration/ac place which said they shouldn't have a problem fixing it since it has a Copeland compressor (which from what I understand is pretty common).
I'll get a call in the morning probably outlining what it's gonna cost to ressurect it... but I can't handle another day of tank temps over 82... :D

Attached is a closer shot of the 7 BTA's I have in the growout... they just about cover the rock they're on (probably 4"x6").

I still can't get a good pic of the dottyback (he's camera shy), and all I've seen of the hi-fin goby and pistol is the ever-renewing sand mound at the entrance to their burrow... :D

Attachments

• btas-in-fuge.jpg
    btas-in-fuge.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Brucey

Hi dave, just a quick note to say great work .... it really is coming together now. Well done mate
Brucey

addict

Well, thanks everybody for the kind words. :)

Ugh... it's been a rough time since my last update... I found out that the compressor in my chiller is hozed... to the tune of $500 to have it fixed...
So... I'm working with the guy I bought my chiller from to get a replacement, though I will have to spend more... ack! :columbo:
CSL should've stayed in business a few more weeks, methinks... ;)

Also, my cleaner shrimp finally went to the big cleaning station in the sky... but it was getting pretty old so I think it was just it's time...

On a brighter note, I do have some updated pix... my camera just can't seem to capture the depth of the rockwork, but I'll work on getting some better shots... I redid some of the aquascaping, and I think this is pretty much how it's gonna look... the right side of the tank is LPS/softies, and the left side is going to be SPS-dominant...

Here's an 'overhead' shot from the front

Attachments

• overhead-front.jpg
    overhead-front.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

addict

And here's a shot looking straight-on at the front of the tank.

Attachments

• straight-on-front.jpg
    straight-on-front.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

addict

Of course, since the camera's already out, why not take some more pix??? ;)

Attachments

• zoas.jpg
    zoas.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

addict

And here's the tank marshal, my orange-spot prawn goby, sitting on his perch... he kept giving me the 'evil eye' as I was taking pictures. :D

Attachments

• tank-marshal.jpg
    tank-marshal.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited: