Glove Polyp? Sorry no pics...

in_a_days

Alright, I'm a relative noob and have not yet added any polyps or soft corals to my tank. Waiting for the kit to set up my 'fuge to hopefully do away with the last lingering nitrates. But I've found what I think is a polyp on a piece of live rock in my tank.

Unfortunately my camera is worthless at close range so I can't get any kind of picture... but it looks very similar to these polyps...

p_85706.jpg

The major difference is that rather than these kind of feathered tentacles, they look EXACTLY like fat little bean pods. The polyp is tan/flesh colored and the longest tentacles are close to 1/2". Sorry again about no pic, any input will be much appreciated!

framerguy

These are Clavulaia or "clove polyps" and sounds like what you have. They are an encrusting type coral that prefer moderate lighting and moderate to strong flow. They have 8 "tentacles" and are usually hardy (although mine aren't doing so hot)

reefer3

Could also be clove polyp. I have them in my tank they have solid leave like tentacles, tanish color, with a bright yellow center. I would post a pic but they're soo small and my cam is soo cheap I can't get a good one.LOL

in_a_days

These are Clavulaia or "clove polyps" and sounds like what you have. They are an encrusting type coral that prefer moderate lighting and moderate to strong flow. They have 8 "tentacles" and are usually hardy (although mine aren't doing so hot)

That is very very close. :)

The only difference is that in that pic I can still see a bunch of very small feathery filaments coming off each tentacle. Whereas mine just looks very very smooth. But this is easily the closest thing to what I've got that I'm yet to see. Probably the same family and just a different sp.

Thanks much!

BTW the reason I thought it was "Glove Polyp" was that I saw a coral/polyps at the LFS that looked just like what I have. I thought it was identified as a "Glove" Polyp, but thinking back it could easily have been "Clove" rather than "Glove."

in_a_days

K well I don't think it's a glove or clove polyp anymore. After some time and slight changes in its appearance I can defiantly see that there are considerably more than 8 tentacles. There are like 6 or 7 in the center that are considerably larger than the at least 10 smaller tentacles that form a ring around the center. It also almost looks like there's another even small set sprouting up under these. And it's probably 3/4" x 3/4". It also has a fleshy "stalk" that I've seen it extend up to another 3/4" at times, but usually it's tight against the rock. Seems like it's doing fine... it almost looks like a tiny primitive anemone, but doesn't look like any pics I've seen, nor would an anemone be likely to survive in my tank. Any ideas?

EDIT: Alright, after doing a little more browsing I found this picture of a Rock Anemone...

rock_anemone.png

That is really what it's starting to look like. The detectable nitrate in my tank is probably the reason all his "tentacles" aren't all puffed up and long... but this thing has been surviving in my tank for at least 2-3 months now. Hopefully my new 'fuge will help remove the nitrates and give this little guy a better chance at continued survival.