The MANTIS Shrimp Club!

in_a_days

Sorry these aren't very clear... if I get my hands on a better camera I'll try to take more...

Mantis4.jpg

Mantis3.jpg

Mantis2.jpg

Mantis1.jpg

BEELZEBOB

okay, just because of the last pic, on the interior of both his raptorial appendages (arms) is there a blueish-purple dot surronded by a white circle ?

is there a bluish green hint to the flappy things on his underside?

in_a_days

okay, just because of the last pic, on the interior of both his raptorial appendages (arms) is there a blueish-purple dot surronded by a white circle ?

is there a bluish green hint to the flappy things on his underside?

:laughroll

Yeah, he definitely has blue/green spots on his raptoral appendages, but I've not seen a white circle. He also has rows of very small (like grain of sand small) blue/green spots on his back.

in_a_days

Visually those were the ones that I thought most resembled what I can see on my little guy. I was talking with a guy at a LFS out here, and he said that most the mantis shrimp you find out here are stragglers on live rock from Florida. I'm not sure exactly where the piece he came on is from, but the guy was saying that he raised a Mantis from a very small size and that, when small, it was purple to black (just like mine). So I'm ever so slightly reluctant to assume that he's one of these Indonesian species. I'll just have to keep watching and hopefully one of these days I'll see something defining.

althea2you

i was thinking of getting a mantis if i can.. and keeping it in my fuge? any thoughts on that? also.. would it be recommended in a aga... thats what im making my sump out of... the thing is ... my water will be 9" deep... is that deep enough to keep a mantis in? tia!

BEELZEBOB

i was thinking of getting a mantis if i can.. and keeping it in my fuge? any thoughts on that? also.. would it be recommended in a aga... thats what im making my sump out of... the thing is ... my water will be 9" deep... is that deep enough to keep a mantis in? tia!

glass is fine for like 90% of available species, and as long as you could provide the lil guy w/ some LR and a basic sand bed, it would be allright

in_a_days

I didn't see my Mantis for like a week, starting the day his new tank showed up no less! But finally on Saturday night I heard him clicking, and yesterday he reemerged from his rock. I guess he was molting 'cause he appears slightly bigger and I can see a few more green spots on him. Still nothing that really stands out to ID him yet though. I've got about two inches of live sand in his future tank and just picked up 3-4 pounds of live rock from the LFS. I'm gonna add another pound or two before transplanting the rock that he's on.

I'll keep testing the water every other day or so until the Ammonia and Nitrite are gone and then he's in. I was also able to feed him in the main tank without the Lion getting (too) involved. I just put a very very small piece of krill on the end of my feeding stick and put it by his hole. He was all over it. The krill was too small for the lion to see, so he bit at the acrylic feeding stick a couple times. But I guess it didn't taste good 'cause he quickly lost interest.

I think my little guy is doing well and can't wait to get him moved into his own tank. :whstlr:

ScubaDrew

My mantis has been missing for just over a week now. I'm hoping he is molting, this is the first time I've gone so long with out seeing him. :bugout:

in_a_days

Hey Bob, any idea how often these guys will molt when they're small? Mine went missing for about two weeks, then I finally started hearing clicks again before I saw him and fed him. That was maybe two, two and a half weeks ago, and now again, I think it's been like I week since I've seen him or heard any clickin'. I sure hope he's okay.

in_a_days

mantis vs blue ring octopus

bluering

I don't mean to sound like a puss or anything... and I am usually a fan of deplorable violence. But that is pretty barbaric right there! Octopi are beautiful and highly intelligent creatures... Kinda makes me a little sad to see somebody playing death match with 'em.

BEELZEBOB

Hey Bob, any idea how often these guys will molt when they're small? Mine went missing for about two weeks, then I finally started hearing clicks again before I saw him and fed him. That was maybe two, two and a half weeks ago, and now again, I think it's been like I week since I've seen him or heard any clickin'. I sure hope he's okay.

one time i got real scured 'cause bane spent 16 days molting, came out, and then went back in his hole for a week.

turs out, deep within these rocks i got, theres all sorts of like mussels, and oysters and such, the he went to town on those guys.

also, after a molt, its common for bane to be a total puss for a week, then he just goes ape ****.

and, sometimes after a molt, he comes out, spends a day packing his home full of hermits (its funny, cause they all try and get out, but he just shoves them back in.) once his pantry is full (like 3-5 lil hermits) he shuts his door for a week and goes to town on those guys