Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Yep. It's funny when you enter this hobby. We read everything we can. We buy all sorts of equipment, but in the end, experience wins. I too have dumped the uVC. I only have a bag of carbon, skimmer, filter floss and the reactor for Rowophos. I've gone back to KISS, Keep It Simp!e Stupid
Basically me to. But I know what to watch out for.

Nobbygas

After running these tanks for a few years it's amazing how much you can understand what is going on by just looking! I very rarely test the water. I do it now and again if I'm bored and got some spare time. I still don't do water changes-....and the corals are growing like mad.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

As another example of using my experience I noticed recently that my Nitrates were climbing. They went up to 50. In the past I would have been frantically reading the forums to find some magic potions etc to bring them down. Now, I find the answers to these minor problems quite easily. The bags of Seachem in the sump were covered in gunk. I just took them out and rinsed them off in a bucket of RO water. The stones had also started to clump together in the bags so it was pretty simple to just give the bags a squeeze and break them back up again. Popped them back into the sump and hey presto, within a couple of weeks the Nitrate was back to it's normal level of around 15.

SPR

As another example of using my experience I noticed recently that my Nitrates were climbing. They went up to 50. In the past I would have been frantically reading the forums to find some magic potions etc to bring them down. Now, I find the answers to these minor problems quite easily. The bags of Seachem in the sump were covered in gunk. I just took them out and rinsed them off in a bucket of RO water. The stones had also started to clump together in the bags so it was pretty simple to just give the bags a squeeze and break them back up again. Popped them back into the sump and hey presto, within a couple of weeks the Nitrate was back to it's normal level of around 15.
Lol!

I have another better solution, don’t test for nitrate!

SPR

Are you still doing water changes, you dinosaur?
Yes, but nominal just because I still think I should for some reason. Mainly introducing trace elements etc from the new salt as I only randomly use coral colours etc.

The water changes are only around 5% a week and with Apex DOS so apart from refilling large containers (turn a tap) and adding salt that’s about it.

Every time you raise this I automatically reduce the daily amounts, and then think, mmmmm. And put them back up again!

The skimmers in both systems hardly produce anything. I’m using 25 micron filter rolls which takes most stuff out

If I ever need to replace a skimmer, they will be seriously downgraded, certainly in the big tank.

Nobbygas

Yes, but nominal just because I still think I should for some reason. Mainly introducing trace elements etc from the new salt as I only randomly use coral colours etc.

The water changes are only around 5% a week and with Apex DOS so apart from refilling large containers (turn a tap) and adding salt that’s about it.

Every time you raise this I automatically reduce the daily amounts, and then think, mmmmm. And put them back up again!

The skimmers in both systems hardly produce anything. I’m using 25 micron filter rolls which takes most stuff out

If I ever need to replace a skimmer, they will be seriously downgraded, certainly in the big tank.
I would like to get a roller but it's now pretty certain that I will return to the UK within the next eighteen months, so I will not transport the existing system, as that will be a real headache. It'll be better to sale it here and then start a new one. With that in mind I don't want to be buying new stuff.

SPR

I would like to get a roller but it's now pretty certain that I will return to the UK within the next eighteen months, so I will not transport the existing system, as that will be a real headache. It'll be better to sale it here and then start a new one. With that in mind I don't want to be buying new stuff.
So when did you last do a water change then ?

Nobbygas

So when did you last do a water change then ?
Can't remember. It would have been to clean the Sump but I haven't even done that for at least two years, possibly three. I am firmly in the camp that believes water changes are totally unnecessary as long as you have a good dosing regime.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Are you guys running calcium reactors? I feel that water changes could be less with a carx as that likely supplies more than just standard dosing.

SPR

Are you guys running calcium reactors? I feel that water changes could be less with a carx as that likely supplies more than just standard dosing.
I was running a Deltec twin tech but it kept failing so it’s offline now, but I completely agree with you provided you have the correct media

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I’m running a AE 8” stacked and just cleaned it and refilled it. Reborn up top, neo mag down bottom. Feel it’s a good mix but man is it powerful. I only have the valve open 3 seconds every 999 seconds and it totally pumps the tank

Nobbygas

What is this black magic you are talking about? I refuse to be lured to spend my hard earned shekels on more useless equipment.

SPR

The S650 has been running for nearly 6 1/2 years now, it’s an established system and although I test weekly for the main 3 foundation elements, I rarely test for nitrate and phosphate

I was running rowaphos in a reactor and changing it every 6-8 weeks so never bothered, and I’ve just cleaned the skimmer for the first time in 3 months (on both tanks!)

Now some may say Shaun, you’re a lazy bottomed reefer, maybe they would be correct.

But I’ve been doing a bit of an experiment, leaving the S650 to do it’s stuff, to learn for the big tank, I know what to watch out for, so I just monitor, with minimal water changes. It looks no different to be honest. Throwing some Red Sea coral colours in every week or so, also adding some Seachem Strontium every week as I’m dosing my own made foundation elements that don’t contain it. It was low on an ICP test in the big tank.

I knew the phosphate level would be raised because of the haze on the glass that needs cleaning every 2 days or so. But everything looks fine. Remember this is not a new tank.

So I tested phosphate and guess what, it was 2.19!! And that’s not 0.219 that’s 2.19! But all is well……

Anyway, the only reason I tested phosphate is that I knew it was high, because of the glass cleaning, and I’m fed up with changing rowaphos (because Im a LAR!) so having trusted ATM products before (now the Blue Shark Trading) I thought I would try Agent Green phosphate remover

Theres very few reviews of it that I can find, only the normal ‘ramblings’ with little evidence on certain forums (not here-the other side!). So we shall see what happens

Ive added 10ml’s over 30 mins or so and everyone seems fine, waters a little hazing which it’s supposed to be, so we shall see.

This is what we are talking about, it looks no different other than it’s grown out some more….

613A84C7-F293-4E46-8494-E4657BBD9604.jpeg

SPR

Ok ATM Agent Green phosphate remover (Blue Shark Journey now I think)

I added it to the S650, first addition phosphate went from 2.19 (yes!) to 1.5 and I’ve added 3 doses now in total of around 10ml each.

When you add it, the water goes like a ‘smokey’‘ effect which it’s supposed to and then clears after a short period of time, I’m using 25-32 micron filter roller media (in each tank) and leaving the skimmer running.

My unscientific conclusion, but using the naked eye, after 2 days the glass remains crystal clear (it normally needs cleaning) and the system looks cleaner. No adverse effects or even reaction by fish (including many tangs) or corals.

Ive also added it to the large tank, although that system has a refugium so phosphate was 0.2 so raised from an ideal, but again no issues. That system also now looks ‘cleaner’

So I now ask why the heck didn’t I use this years ago instead of rowaphos which I hate changing………..

So in summary, it does exactly what it says on the label…

SPR

The emperor is all grown up in the new coat, about 7 inches long. These are just quick shots so don’t think I’ve lost the ‘fancy camera’!

CAC2B8D1-7224-424C-AB4D-5ECFBE31EEA6.jpeg75A93E38-49E3-45FA-9A13-E3E5AB80E7FA.jpeg6E375942-F6E1-401D-A0AF-7C59D4AEE905.jpeg