Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

I've ordered some fish online. I've found a real problem with getting fish in my area from any LFS. They all seem to carry what I would call 'normal stock', but they do seem to lack the interesting stuff. I did try ordering some fish from the best of the LFS, but I gave up after waiting three months. I only wanted a couple of Royal Grammas at the time ! Not exactly difficult to get fish I would have thought.
My Male Blue Throated Trigger needed a Female partner. In the shops you occassionally see a pair, but they always seem to come as a pair, however I found a single Female with my favourite online supplier I usually use for 'stuff'. I also orderd two Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus) in the hope that one will become a Male. Once again it is difficult to find a Male as they are all born as Female.
They should arrive next week.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Bloody fish and their strange habits !
The Leopard Wrasse has been 'missing' for just over two weeks. I thought she had gone to Davy Jones Locker, so as in my previous post I have ordered a pair of them. Yesterday, while eating dinner, I suddenly noticed some rapid movement in the tank, and there she was zipping around the place faster than a fast thing going really fast ! I'm expecting the two new ones to arrive this week, so it looks as though I will have three, although the current one only shows herself for about ten minutes at a time! Surely one of them will become a bloke and start acting normally?
Wimmin eh !

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

The current Leopard Wrasse has I feared shot off it's metabolic coil. Haven't seen her for over a month now. I am still waiting for the delivery of the two female Leopard Wrasse. I am hoping that one will transform into a male, as buying a male/female combination appears to be impossible. Even just getting a male seems impossible, so I am hoping that Mother Nature does her thing with these fish. COVID has certainly damaged the supply chain for fish as I am seeing prices shooting up while availability is limited.

SPR

The current Leopard Wrasse has I feared shot off it's metabolic coil. Haven't seen her for over a month now. I am still waiting for the delivery of the two female Leopard Wrasse. I am hoping that one will transform into a male, as buying a male/female combination appears to be impossible. Even just getting a male seems impossible, so I am hoping that Mother Nature does her thing with these fish. COVID has certainly damaged the supply chain for fish as I am seeing prices shooting up while availability is limited.
I think it has certainly slowed things down and the LFS said the prices have increased because of freight costs etc.

To be honest, both my systems have plenty of fish for now, so I don’t mind waiting it out until it all settles, maybe with the occasional purchase.

Im more concentrated on corals in the new tank for the moment and their growing really well. Infact the birds nest corals I added, mainly as tank fillers, are growing to well, so are going to be culled shortly to be replaced by nicer SPS etc.

I’m also starting to have ‘feelings and thoughts’ about the S650 and a partial redesign of the rock work/corals on the top right hand side, or a complete new replacement tank, custom built again. I could probably get 50% more water volume easily in a similar footprint

I was learning with that system, and I know I can make it much simpler to run and maintain now. No commitment here, just thoughts so don’t get excited! Lol

Nobbygas

I think it has certainly slowed things down and the LFS said the prices have increased because of freight costs etc.

To be honest, both my systems have plenty of fish for now, so I don’t mind waiting it out until it all settles, maybe with the occasional purchase.

Im more concentrated on corals in the new tank for the moment and their growing really well. Infact the birds nest corals I added, mainly as tank fillers, are growing to well, so are going to be culled shortly to be replaced by nicer SPS etc.

I’m also starting to have ‘feelings and thoughts’ about the S650 and a partial redesign of the rock work/corals on the top right hand side, or a complete new replacement tank, custom built again. I could probably get 50% more water volume easily in a similar footprint

I was learning with that system, and I know I can make it much simpler to run and maintain now. No commitment here, just thoughts so don’t get excited! Lol
I am having visions of your new set-up. It's a connecting tank to your existing beast, but on a different level, so you can have a pulse cascading effect which will simulate wave action on the main tank. You will also have to listen to David Attenborough a lot so you can speak to visitor's about the set-up in his voice. By lowering the lights, and using your new Attenborough voice, you can create a real atmosphere where the guests think he is actually in the room......Oh yes. This could become a paying attraction.

SPR

I am having visions of your new set-up. It's a connecting tank to your existing beast, but on a different level, so you can have a pulse cascading effect which will simulate wave action on the main tank. You will also have to listen to David Attenborough a lot so you can speak to visitor's about the set-up in his voice. By lowering the lights, and using your new Attenborough voice, you can create a real atmosphere where the guests think he is actually in the room......Oh yes. This could become a paying attraction.
Haha hardy ha!

Nobbygas

I have a staggering announcement to make. Shaun, sit yourself down and don't take this too badly........but my GSP is growing very nicely. It is a bright green, and there is even that 'grassy' look to it. No longer does it look like the beard of a fourteen year old boy, but a healthy, vibrant piece of GSP. I cannot reveal the secret to my success, no, no I can't. You can twist my arm but I will never ever reveal the secret.....
....as in all honesty I haven't a clue as to why it has started to flourish after over three years of being in the tank.
Oh yes, I was high fiving myself, doing Michael Jackson Moonwalks across the living room, until I actually sat down and realised that I hadn't done a thing to make it grow. Nowt, nothing, zilch, bugger all.

I don't suppose it is worth writing a book detailing how to grow GSP successfully. It's not going to make me a millionaire is it.

SPR

I have a staggering announcement to make. Shaun, sit yourself down and don't take this too badly........but my GSP is growing very nicely. It is a bright green, and there is even that 'grassy' look to it. No longer does it look like the beard of a fourteen year old boy, but a healthy, vibrant piece of GSP. I cannot reveal the secret to my success, no, no I can't. You can twist my arm but I will never ever reveal the secret.....
....as in all honesty I haven't a clue as to why it has started to flourish after over three years of being in the tank.
Oh yes, I was high fiving myself, doing Michael Jackson Moonwalks across the living room, until I actually sat down and realised that I hadn't done a thing to make it grow. Nowt, nothing, zilch, bugger all.

I don't suppose it is worth writing a book detailing how to grow GSP successfully. It's not going to make me a millionaire is it.
Lol!

In the new tank it’s slowly spreading on a rock, but not like flowing grass.

To be honest, I’ve even been looking at it to make sure it’s actually GSP because you know my coral ID skills! ??

89F85305-C171-4EBA-BD69-75579EA57202.jpeg

Nobbygas

My new female trigger arrived just now (08:15am). She looks fine and healthy. At the moment she is sat in the bag while it floats in the tank to equalize the temperature. Later I will transfer her to the trap to give her some more room to move, plus I think it allows the other fish to have a look at her, and her at them. The male trigger came to have a look about 30 seconds after I placed the bag in the tank. Will it be love on the first date between the two ? We'll have to see.

Nobbygas

Really! ??
Hold the front page. She is still alive this morning. She is wedged deep in the rocks. I can only see her tail and the back of her body, and that is using a torch! Yesterday there was no movement whatsoever, so I assumed she was dead. I had another look this morning and she is in the same place but I could see her fins moving and this wasn't from water movement. Fingers crossed.

SPR

Ok the story with my two.

They were in the LFS for about 4 months or so before I actually purchased them. They had been separated for some time as they’d been fighting each other so were in different tanks for their own safety and luckily for me know one bought them. I was thinking about taking the risk for months.

Eventually they were put back together and I guess ‘liked’ each other. And then I got them and they’ve always be fine

So if she’s alive might it be worth putting here in an acclimatisation box for a while so they can get used to each other in safety

They can do some serious damage to each other if they wanted to, if they haven’t already.

Nobbygas

Ok the story with my two.

They were in the LFS for about 4 months or so before I actually purchased them. They had been separated for some time as they’d been fighting each other so were in different tanks for their own safety and luckily for me know one bought them. I was thinking about taking the risk for months.

Eventually they were put back together and I guess ‘liked’ each other. And then I got them and they’ve always be fine

So if she’s alive might it be worth putting here in an acclimatisation box for a while so they can get used to each other in safety

They can do some serious damage to each other if they wanted to, if they haven’t already.
There is no way I can get her out. She is in the deepest part of the rockwork. They use their 'trigger' to wedge themselves into the rock. She needs to 'man up'. It's not looking good though.

Nobbygas

Sorry to hear that, very sad.

Will you try another, maybe in the box ?
She was in the box for six hours before I released her into the tank. The male had been around her to have a look, but didn't display any aggression towards her.

SPR

She was in the box for six hours before I released her into the tank. The male had been around her to have a look, but didn't display any aggression towards her.
It’s probably going to be difficult to call because my two had been fighting and separated by the LFS. And it was months before they were back together.

It might be worth leaving it, as it could get expensive and frustrating?