Fresh start in Holland

Rini

Hello all,

Hereby I open my new dagboek.

Before I start, excuse me for my English. I'm from The Netherlands, and I'm not daily speaking /writing it.

The past weeks I was looking for a new tank. And I had a few candidates.

The Red Sea max nano
The Bluemarine reef 60
Waterbox 20.

From previous experience I had a bit favor of the Red Sea. Support for me is important. Im working in the support area (ict) So Red Sea had already some extra points. And to be honest I like the design.
I had a few rules:
+ sump in the back, not below.
+ Plug and play
+ Support / after sales.
+ Good looking.

After some investigation it was clear that the Waterbox 20 needed all the technical stuff to buy. Not plug and play so I needed to collect this. The price came very close to the Red Sea
For me that was an no go.

The blue marine 60. Very nice to see. but, the led light was nog that great I read in reviews. It was good for the basic. Perhaps I stay basic, but I don't want that the light decide for me what to do. So that means that I have to buy another light. With that light the price came again very close to the Red Sea.

Long story short. I made up my mind, and was aiming for the Red Sea max nano.
If im honest, it was already decided before I did all the investigating of other tanks, and reading // watching hours and hours YouTube.

And today it was time to collect it.

Schermafbeelding 2020-05-27 om 16.42.21.png

So how do I get things going.

This time I want to start different as the previous 2 times.
I have decided to start with dead rock, dead sand.
the below pilar I have. And it is not that big, enough room for a little garden in front of it.

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

The sand is a bit bigger as the previous Red Sea pink live sand. The problem I had with that sand was that it kept floating through my tank. With this size I hope to avoid that.

So no Red Sea mature program this time, just Dr Tim one and only. And the ammonia bottle to get the bacteria population going.
No real seawater this time either. Just the salt from Red Sea coral pro must do the trick. Used it in the past, and it was good enough for me.So I stick with that salt.

This is a method that is not very popular here in The Netherlands to say. Sometimes I get the feeling that we are stuck in old principles / methods. So im not getting a lot of love on the dutch forums that's for sure.
The method used at the Netherlands is mostly : start with life stone, no sand. Some bacteria and let it stay for weeks and weeks,.... and weeks... and weeks... I'm in no hurry, but man...I watched an YouTube video from reef builders.. Nano in 1 day. Ok it is a bit fast...
So I started to digging in the bacteria stuff. And came up with Dr Tim. And to. be honest, I like that program.
So for me this is an test.

Something what I find strange with the red Sea nana max package; No heater. come one! mafkezen.
Raise the price and put in a damn heater...
Well I ordered an heater:

Schermafbeelding 2020-05-27 om 16.14.46.png

An Eheim Jager 75 watt. Simple, but does the trick.

Meanwhile I'm making my water, dripping I better say.
Want to put the pilar in some osmose water to clear the thing from nasty stuff.

As soon the Dr Tim stuff is arrived (it must come from the UK) I can get things going.
Probably going to build the stand tomorrow. so I can put the tank in place.

In short:
Going to start up with Dr TIm.
dead rock and dead sand.
Probably doing weekly water changes.
Not going to dose other things as I did in the past. Purely want to try with water changes

Water testing will be done each week.
Red Sea pro kit for MG / CA /
Red Sea Pro kit for Po4
Salifert for No3 / no2
Salifert for Kh. : In the Red Sea pro kit there is the KH test set, but I can't use it. For me it is not easy to see when the color switch.

In time:
Goal is to slowly go to hanna checkers. They are expensive, so it will come with time. For now I keep the Red Sea and salueert tests. And when I have some spare money I buy an hanna checker.

I have time. And I'm in no rush.

greetings from holland

Rini.

Rini

Today was the day to start building the cabinet. The oldest daughter together with mom where horse riding. The oldest daughter is the one which I build the c250 5 years ago. The youngest was at that time save inside the belly of mom :)

So we had some time for the 2 of us to play and build. Gladly we have some Ikea experience. So this was not a real problem. And Jacobien helping it was a piece of cake.

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0310.jpeg
IMG_0315.jpeg

And with great help building the cabinet I'm happy Red Sea is thinking in advance.

IMG_0321.jpeg

The building continues. Serious work draining the energy of this almost 5 year old.

IMG_0327.jpeg

So we have to dose some cheese to keep her going.

IMG_0336.jpeg

Slowly arriving at the end of the project some hours later.

IMG_0340.jpeg

And then as grand final the door.
We had a great time playing / building this cabinet.

IMG_0341.jpeg

Small video impression.

This time we have chosen to use black as color for the cabinet. And I must say it is not bad.
I had some doubt.
Next part is the glass box itself. Not much pictures of it.

Last edited:

Rini

Part 2. the box.

Unwrapping. always fun.

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0358.jpeg

I got an eheim heater, but where to put it. It is a petty long heater.. So found a place in the skimmer chamber where I can put him.

IMG_0360.jpeg

Building the box was pretty straightforward. Only thing I had issues with was connecting the return pump. It took some time to get that done. But in the end the hands of Danielle helped, they fit better in the small sump as mine. :)

Then the thing to level it. I think it is pretty level. So I'm thinking to let it this way.

IMG_0364.jpeg
IMG_0363.jpeg

And after some time it was completed.
Very nice setup.

IMG_0367.jpeg

I really had doubt about the color black. But it is very nice.

Now waiting till drTim arrive, then I can start. So with a bit luck this week it will come.
Now time to play with the lights. :) and see how I must do that. it is new for me. I'm used to have lights : On / off. that's it.

Suggestions are very much welcome.

Rini

Was thinking about leveling. And I was not completely happy. So we tried to get it a bit better. And we succeeded for our standards :)

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1400.jpeg

IMG_1401.jpeg

So pretty much happy that we get a bit more leveled.

Before :
IMG_0366.jpeg

After :

IMG_1401.jpeg

What has changed:

Front right foot we added 5 mm
Rear right foot we added 2 mm
Front left foot we added 2 mm

Rini

Since we are waiting for drTim stuff it give me some time to play with the light. Wow. What an possibilities. I’m used to : On / off. I have now selected the 18k program and sunrise at 10:00 I believe it runs till 21:00. Will see this afternoon.

EB1D1C8F-D814-4208-9813-BB1FB54FE2A5.png

I checked at 10:00 and indeed there is some light. :)
Now 22 minutes later blue is at 37% and white 18%.
Very nice.

26B0C59A-0E1E-4763-AC99-276AA07710A8.jpeg

BC5EDFC1-853C-46ED-B02C-F9B9DCE988B6.jpeg

Fun.

Next thing to do is cleaning the sand.
Rinse and repeat.

Rini

Meanwhile filled the tank.
So as soon this week the bacteria arrive we can call it a start.

bbef1090700d4344354c9232c7e80db1.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Rini

With a bit luck tomorrow or Friday the drTim will arrive. So we can start.
Today I received my window cleaner. Flipper.
Handy little tool.

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-03 om 12.54.16.png

In my old tank I had an big one, I tried it in the nano that was no success. the whole nano was shaking during using it. So that's why this little one Is now here.

Nobbygas

With a bit luck tomorrow or Friday the drTim will arrive. So we can start.
Today I received my window cleaner. Flipper.
Handy little tool.

View attachment 50368

In my old tank I had an big one, I tried it in the nano that was no success. the whole nano was shaking during using it. So that's why this little one Is now here.
I have the big Flipper. Using it to clean the glass is better than spending an hour in the gym !

Rini

Lol. Gym? sounds like an disease? ;)
I do powerlifting. Chess..

Meanwhile my mini tank is reaching 29.5C or 85.4F. To high, and it goes to fast up and down. Decided to go for a chiller. Was thinking to get the Teco tk 150.
Must see if it can be fitted in the tank. I'm totally noob with chillers.
suggestions welcome.

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-03 om 15.59.35.png

Rini

Today i started with DrTim. First part is the one and only. Full bottle in the tank.
Removed the filterbag, shutdown the skimmer.
Now 2 weeks no messing in the sand on the bottom. Bacteria need to get grib i guess ;)

43895DEE-34B1-44AE-BF51-A12652F61465.jpeg

CE3D4956-6517-40F5-9B10-58A99190EAAA.jpeg

A7842650-5A91-44EC-9428-1F32CFAF0B19.jpeg

Following the program.
I’m at Day 1.

C1E19E79-715B-4718-A05E-F528B333E57E.jpeg

So we have now officially started to cycle the tank!

Temperature issue is solved...... an UPSIE moment.. The heater was set on high temp.......
Now the heater is back at 25c. And temperature is already dropping.

Phew.

Hi I have a very simple system.I have 2 fluval 10 -30 gallon aqua clear filters and a small powerhead the only media in my filter is ceramic tubes I use a small led light made by current it has a basic sunrise and sunset mode that seems to work well in my system I use nature’s ocean natural sea water.The tank is a simple 15 gallon 12 inch x12 inch x24 I change about 2.2 gallons per week

Rini

Hi Brittle star 11. Very nice. Pictures! :)

Meanwhile i did my first water test. I’m at day 2. So i need to check :
PH 8.2
NO2 <0.15
NH3 almost not measurable

D94C83E0-142A-4E2C-8298-7E618B617EFF.png

Further the tank is doing fine. The water is crystal clear.

89AF0158-A00C-4BAC-9F1C-BDF0F6A91BAA.jpeg

Skimmer is off. No filtersock.
Light is out.

So we are good to go.

03631C89-047E-466A-B87F-7CD8575C960C.jpeg

Gladly the temp is back to normal. So no chiller is needed. Perhaps some fan’s during hot periods.
The shop advised the jbl cooler X 200. Probably going to get that one with the jbl controller.
Much cheaper as an chiller

Rini

During the evening I noticed that the Max made some waterfall noise. Not a biggie. But after a few days I thought, this cannot be how it is designed. Meanwhile in my head flashed up, I had 1 sponge left from building. So I took the manual with me and searched. And yes, I forgot to put in a sponge near the filter bag compartment where water is going down from skimmer. I placed it, and it was silent again.

We are at day 4 now. time to test the water again.
test dKH / PH / NO3 / NH3

dKH = 7
PH = 8.2
NO3 = 0
NH3 = 0,50

So the proces is started.

Rini

Meanwhile day 6

Always nice to get gifts when arriving home after work

63ADFBD8-FC3B-4BC5-B6C5-1511991E9B21.jpeg

When things getting hot. A nice small blower.

on the tank mounted not that great to see. But it is just for to be sure.

3149DA91-A952-49DB-BEC9-A9278AF1802A.jpeg

and a nice bad for the new corals before they go into the tank.

4E4ED9F5-A10A-426C-9B12-995E2EFE48F8.jpeg

tomorrow day 7 and time to measure.

Rini

And today it is day 7.

Tested NH3 / No3 & PH:

PH 8.2
NO3 & NH3 0.

Things going well as far i can judge.
Water is crystal clear. Nothing like algae to see.

Coming weekend we go for a few coral frags, at least i hope :D
My wife needs food for the cats, so thats a good moment to join her. That store has also salt water stuff :)

Rini

Fast forward to day 10. At day 9 you can add fish. I skipped that and did some drops of DrTim.

Today is day 10.

Today we went shopping for our cats, and in the same store there is an saltwater department.
So together with my 2 daughters we went to the saltwater area. When we arrived i told them that they both may choose 1 small fish.
A few minutes later they both found one.
A yellow and a purple one.

5B13BD01-D3C4-4DB1-ABDA-F989854C7811.jpeg

Since i’m an real fan of the red shrimps we got 2 of them as well.

16C5D4AF-DE60-448A-967B-51D27B401748.jpeg

And to see how things going coral wise, we got 3 frags.
First an coral dip bath for them.

C2917493-A3DA-4B95-8553-37F8310F57AE.jpeg
FFB7D233-8E3C-4AB1-A241-9EC9508D2959.jpeg
343863EB-CF70-42B6-A83A-AAD871B07161.jpeg

This is my first time this way to get an saltwater tank running with a bottle.
So i’m really curious how things turn out.

For now :

NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 2
PH 8.2
KH 7

Today 3 liter water change.