PLEASE HELP Red Sea Max 130D Owners - Successfully Set Up - Skimmer/Set Up Help

ReturningReefer

I have a newer Red Sea Max 130D and really need some help. This is my first nano tank. I had a 180 gallon tank years ago but then i had kids. That was easy. I'm trying to get back into the hobby but the skimmer in this nano is killing me. First, i had to get a replacement skimmer from Red Sea because no matter what i did i couldn't get rid of the micro bubbles. Now, i have a newer one, and have for over a month. No more micro bubbles but,

Now i can not get the skimmer to produce any skimmate. I haven't read a good thing about the Red Sea Max skimmer for this tank but i've been trying very hard to get it to work. I've adjusted the air, the overflow box and the water level in every possible combination and it will still not produce.

I was hoping that fellow owners with stock set ups could chime in with there set up description (i.e. what height is your overflow box set to, water level set to and air). I would really like to try and make the stock set up work. I'm hopeful that this is just a case of being a nano rookie and someone smarter than me can help.

Or, should i just accept that this skimmer is no good and change it out for the Tunze 9002 with media basket. That is what i was thinking of doing, probably more due to frustration than anything but also because i don't believe there is anyway that i can do to get this to work. I know plenty of people have installed this skimmer in their Red Sea Max 130D and have had success but i've also heard bad stories. Please help.

I really am getting frustrated and don't want to change up the stock set up but if that is what it takes, i'm willing.

Any response with a successful RSM 130D set up appreciated.

Matt spivey

Hey I've had the 130d for a while now and I tried with the stock skimmer for ages just adjusting the air nozzle seemed to produce bubbles for me on and off. Sometimes it'd be good skim and others it'd fill with water. I really didn't want to have to modify the system because I bought an "all in one" but eventually I bought the tunze, set it as I was advised to on here and I've never had a problem with it.

I also have to admit when people said "it's quieter" I expected a little bit. It's dramatically quieter I found. All in all, persevere with it until you stomp over to your computer and order the tunze through anger!

Kidding.. But with the stock skimmer I was always fiddling and noticing it and since I've got the tunze I've never thought about it until now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt spivey

I've still got my original skimmer though for when I inevitably sell the tank on so don't get rid of it completely.

I hope you enjoy the tunze as I have. It just more sleek and simple and I barely even think about it not to mention it's silent.

Remember it has to run in though so won't be perfect right away.

Enjoy! And happy 4th of July :)

Matt spivey

Not long maybe a week tops. Think it was just a few days actually. The loudest thing on my tank is the fan for the lights

NHJMC

130d owner here. Up and running for 7 almost 8 months.I recently upgraded very loud stock skimmer with a Tunze 9001 and in tank media basket (5-6 weeks ago) removed stock mechanical filtration and per the intank basket instructions put chemipure elite in bottom rack, purigen in middle and intank filter floss on top rack. I am not a fan of the Tunze 9001 for the life of me can’t get the skimmer tuned in I have tried everything even contacted Tunze for help and still the skimmer either fills up with water in few minutes or doesn’t produce barely any skim. I don’t like a lot of things about this skimmer and will be returning (hopefully) for a refund ($117). My tank looked and was doing great but ever since I upgraded I have had nothing but problems with my water quality I. E. Ammonia spikes out of nowhere for no reason, cyano outbreak, my water is rarely crystal clear. Sucks it’s been a frustrating few weeks/month. Last night decided to remove Tunze and in tank media basket and put Red Sea stock everything (but bio balls) back in. That skimmer works great but it’s so loud very loud but for my tank to do and look good I’ll deal with the noise. I did like the media basket wish I could keep and use it.