ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

ToeSloth

Hows the tank progressing?
Things are going very well! I received my custom sump from Lifereef yesterday and unboxed it...I hope to never see another packing peanut in my lifetime!!!! It has a white bottom with clear front with the side, back and internal panels being an opaque blue I picked out. I think it looks sharp! I also ordered a refugium starter kit from Algae Barn to install early next week.

I will start reviewing the documents today and getting under the stand prepped. I already moved my Apex and energy Bar out from underneath the tank. I need to remove the shelf as well.

I’m waiting for a cabinet to become available as well to mount a control area on the wall for the apex stuff as well vortech controllers.

I will post some pictures of the sump and installation as it goes along either today late or whenever I get thought the tasks that I don’t know about right now that will be show stoppers.

Chris

ToeSloth

So after hours of making water and doing the fittings and water test I have found the three holes screw drilled for dosing lines in the return area are drip leaking around the 1/4” screws and no matter the amount of hand only tightening and thread tape I don’t get a seal. The screws nor the acrylic thread look damaged or anything like that so I’m looking for ideas like possible rubber washers to get a seal. As you all know there is nothing worse that water leak confidence issues on a piece of equipment.

Any thoughts and idea, I’m all ears! I do have a email into Jeff at Lifereef for help but the sump isn’t going to get done tonight as I want to sleep.

BTW the sump is really nicely built and fits like a glove! I’m sure I will get past this issue tomorrow.

Chris

ToeSloth

So the problem was really that I was water testing for a failure in the sump so the water was above normal but either way I was able to get a seal on the dosing line holes with silicone grease and o rings.

I had everything working but not 100% dialed in. It’s loader than I like in a few areas. Return pump, overflow and air bubbles in the overflow line to the sump. All of these can and will be adjusted and will be fine long term.

Hooked up the skimmer and my old XR30 G2 light to give a show and tell for you all.

The Algae Barn refugium starter kit arrives Thursday next week so I’ve got time to get a few other adjustments done like quick connect fittings for the water lines in and out.

515aacf7ac606f566638df178d9fd434.jpg

discol76

Looking great. Well done. Glad to hear you got your leak issue sorted also. Keep us up to date on your thoughts.

ToeSloth

Here’s an update from this week.

Algae Barn order came last night so added the refugium starter kit, it needs directions! So watch videos if you buy it.

I also dialed in my XR30 G2 light for 7k (with some minor tweaks) and set it to run opposite the tank lights at 40% intensity.

I took a picture of the Chaeto so I can measure its growth over time as well.

I added the Pods as well but I’m not sure how they did as I don’t see any of them at all after I added them to the refugium.

Also the Zoas I added like a month ago have really grown. Probably take some or all off the frag plug and move them to a rock.

I have quick connects coming today and this will allow me to shorten the tubing coming off the pre-filter to the sump and hopefully let me dial the noise down some from the air entering the sump. I think this really is just me figuring out the pump levels as well. Probably add a Vectra S2 at some point and remove the pvc manifold pipe on the return pump.

cfb9e31f6ab73fdd7322af08e0928f76.jpg

6f8cba31ee69e29efc5681dc243b73f2.jpg

ToeSloth

Oh I forgot to mention the skimmer! I have it mounted in the sump and it was really running great for the first time. Funny thing is I needed to stop running it for now so that the refugium stuff I added can seed properly.

With a sump the micro bubbles never make it to the return chamber so the main tank looks much clearer as well.

Chris