Stocking suggestions for 2 150g tanks

tailgamerllc

Hello everyone, I need some help creating a stocking list for a pair of 150 gallon salt water tanks. Right now I am setting up my first fish room and there is nothing in these tanks as of yet. I am looking into some suggestions from the community as to what fish to add to these tanks. I want 1 tank to be filled with aggressive/ preadators and the other tank to be a reef tank. I am trying to get an idea of what to put in so i can determine the order.

So just so you know, I am not new to fish keeping. I have a year old reef tank that i started again after being out of the hobby due to a tank crash because of an equipment malfunction. The current 110 high has 3 clowns ,2 engineer gobies, an anthias, fox face, flasher wrasse, royal gramma and a Manderin.

9e10f46610f5717427e19ce7ffefe46a.jpg

As far as filtration goes i have 2 55gal sumps and all the tanks will be plumbed together. I currently have 2 skimmers and about 200lbs of live rock right now. I want the community's input and I will in return share the progression of this endeavor. I am doing this on a budget and most of the equipment will be used. I'm trying to see how far I can get on a budget of less than $800(not including livestock or saltwater) so far i am around $600 and that includes both tanks , plumbing, wood for stands.

What would you put in these tanks?

c9f27a19fb2eba78bd0f0dcd7569593b.jpg
1389f1d87c36d07c6a6bcd5c4f1f5379.jpg
1b2ade8e985278255985c84186bfabb6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Humblefish

One of my last DTs was a 150 (24x24x60), and I stocked it primarily with dwarf angels, Powder Blue Tang and some other misc. fish. I just let soft corals + LPS grow wild, and didn't really care if the angels nipped some. Video below:

DaveK

The fish and other livestock you put in your tank is an extremely personal choice. It will depend upon what species you like and your ability to care for them. For example I tend to like reef systems over preditor tanks, so I'd just skip the predators and have two reef systems. One of our members here @Paul B has a fantastic reef tank with many difficult to keep species, but if most others tried these species they would be very dead is a short period of time.

So it comes down to figuring out what you want to do. Here are a few guidelines I use. Each species you add should be something you really want. Don't pick something just to fill the tank. You might want something colorful or has a lot of personality, or has an unusual shape. Make sure your able to maintain the species. Some have demanding requirements for feeding or tank space or other special requirements. Consider how you will be viewing the tank. If it's from a distance, larger species may be preferred since smaller ones are hard to see from across the room.

Here are a few species that I like and are reasonably priced for what they are.
Various specis of firefish, great reef fish, but tend to jump out of the tank
Most gobies - great fish, most easy to keep.
Yellowhead jawfish - lots of personality, might jump out
Royal gramma - just about the perfect reef fish
Most of the dwarf angles - highly colorful, sometimes they will eat corals, depends on individual
Large angles - highly colorful, good for a predator tank, most are not reef safe, gets large and it can be difficult to keep more than one in a tank. Some species are extremely expensive.
Anthias species - great looking but most need a group and have demanding feeding requirements
Butterfly fish species - Lots of fantastic looking species. most not reef safe. Consider a tank of various species for a tank without corals.
Damsels - in a reef these can be a problem, but in a predator tank, they can be a nice addition in a predator tank where the other fish can take care of themselves
Dottyback species - colorful but tend to be aggressive, add last
Hawkfish species - One of my favorites, lots of personality, but will eat hermit crabs and sometimes snails
Tangs - colorful fish and great in large tanks, check tank requirements because some need very large tanks
Clowns - A good fish, but everyone seems to have them, so I prefer other fish

I've hardly scratched the surface, there are many other species to consider.

Lastly don't try to make rigid stock lists. Keep things a bit open because you never know when you'll see that great fish you never considered.

Last edited:

tailgamerllc

Thanks DaveK I already have a 110 reef tank in the house. These tanks are in the garage. I want each tank to be something different. I also want something that visitors would like. That is why i am polling the community. I love fish but i would not get a school of PJ cardinals. But if it is a fish that many like i will potentially add them because I want everyone to enjoy (family, friends, and other aquariest???). I get most of my joy in setting up. Planning and maintaining the system. Yes. If i could afford to have them all reefs i would. And as my Main tank grows out i will frag and these tanks will get coral added as time goes on.

tailgamerllc

One of my last DTs was a 150 (24x24x60), and I stocked it primarily with dwarf angels, Powder Blue Tang and some other misc. fish. I just let soft corals + LPS grow wild, and didn't really care if the angels nipped some. Video below:

That is/was a very nice tank

DaveK

... I want everyone to enjoy (family, friends, and other aquariest???). ...

This brings up some other considerations. People not into SW systems are not going to appreciate a lot of the finer details of a system. They are not going to look closely to see those gobies that hide under a rock, or fish that are only active at night. They also will not appreciate a fish because it's rare or unusual. Since you want the tanks to show well, stick to larger fish, about 2 to 3 inches and up, that will come out a lot of the time. Also, think twice about expensive fish. Think in terms of fish you can easily see when you stand 6 feet or more from the tank.

tailgamerllc

This brings up some other considerations. People not into SW systems are not going to appreciate a lot of the finer details of a system. They are not going to look closely to see those gobies that hide under a rock, or fish that are only active at night. They also will not appreciate a fish because it's rare or unusual. Since you want the tanks to show well, stick to larger fish, about 2 to 3 inches and up, that will come out a lot of the time. Also, think twice about expensive fish. Think in terms of fish you can easily see when you stand 6 feet or more from the tank.
I really appreciate all of the input.

I do have tanks for the fish that I want. I have 2 tanks in the house that have my Manderin, engineer gobies, royal Gramma and other smaller fish that i like. Now i wanted these tanks in the garage to host slightly larger fish that everyone can appreciate that wont be able to go in a 4ft long 110g or corner 54g tank. So at the end of the day i will have 6 Saltwater tanks running.
Garage tank list
1 Seahorse tank for my daughter. 30 gal
2 Predator tank fish only 150 gal
d0bf87151ec6603cfaaf6e0ac1622c93.jpg

3 community tank fish only 150 gal
4 55Gal not sure yet
43846217557a423c7642248e6e727d56.jpg

House tanks
5 Reef 54gal corner tank
8637b947cfd28e8e71e72ed5aafd9293.jpg

6 Reef 110 tall reef tank
d33fca32bfe1492e5a23265241060bb8.jpg

The plan is as the coral grow in my 2 reef tanks i will frag them amd move them out to the tanks in the garage that will help me to control cost.

tailgamerllc

So I have to say there is another reason why I am going thru this. My daughter was recently (a year ago now) diagnosed with Leukemia. She is still going thru treatment so I am doing this with and for her. I am making this a small dance room/fish room so we can both enjoy it together. Also so she can have a nice space that she can hang with her friends.
5a79c6b3d17ded1f1cffa7b5fd66c4f7.jpg