Lets Not Be Snowflakes

Paul B

Lets not be Snowflakes. Our Fathers or in most of your cases Grand Fathers got drafted and had to go to war. Many of them were away for 6 years making little pay and living in horrible conditions.

We will get through this if we do a few common sense things.

I certainly don't want to see anyone dying of any disease but about 29,000 Americans die in traffic accidents every year.

40 Americans die from getting bitten by dogs.

My generation got drafted and most of us went without thinking about it. Our lives were put on hold for either 2- 4- or 6 years

58,300 of us died in Viet Nam.

The vast majority of us, even if we contract the Corona Virus will survive with very little discomfort.

The Government is asking us to stay home for a couple of weeks and most of us will even get paid.

We just have to endure some hardships so we can get through this

This is not that big a deal as far as American History goes unless you are a snowflake.

Stay safe.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-26_16-6-25.gif
    upload_2020-3-26_16-6-25.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 6
Last edited:

DaveK

On this subject I must disagree with you. We should take the corona virus very seriously. I should point out that in the 1918 flu pandemic the CDC estimates that there were about 675,000 deaths in the USA. (see this link - https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html) This is more than and of the war casualties mentioned. Also this was while WWI was going on. American deaths in WWi were 116,516 with 63,114 of that total lost to disease, (See this link - https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/war_losses_usa)

Current COVID-19 cases in the USA as of this date (mar 26) are 68,440 with 944 deaths and it's far from over. (see this link - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html)

I don't think we can call anyone a snowflake, because they are worried about the corona virus.

Paul B

I do take it seriously. My point was not about taking the virus seriously. It was to not worry about the little things we have to do to stay safe like keeping our distance and staying home to protect others.
I am in New York and our hospitals are full. They even have tents in the parking lots for the over flow.

These things we have to do are like the things Americans had to do in the past due to wars or diseases and we all need to do them. It is not just us, it is the entire world.

I was calling someone a snowflake for complaining about the inconveniences we have to endure to get past this thing as you are correct. people are dying.

I guess I just didn't word it correctly. I sometimes screw up my words but that is what I meant.

DaveK

In that case, we are in total agreement, although I tend to use more "colorful" language for people that are complaining about having to stay home or don't follow safety procedures.

Paul B

Dave we have been trying to do what we can. My wife and I just had breakfast in the car at the beach as it is cold and raining but at least we could get out and not be near anyone.

Our local hospital is full and they sent an E Mail to the local residents that the staff of 100 are in quarantine and can't get out to eat so they asked for donations of food and water.

We have been sending bagels and Pizza and we called them and they said they appreciate the food, but they have a lot of pizza. We just figured it was easy to share. So now we have the restaurant send Chicken Marsala.

They appreciated that so tonight we may send linguine and clams. :D
Maybe I will go there to eat..

But you get a good feeling helping others as there isn't much you can do.

The hospitals here have tents in the parking lots for the extra beds and at least one of them has a refrigerated tractor trailer for the poor people who died as they are not burying people now and the morgue is filled.