Is this Uronema?

Nroddot

Uronema or just a scrape? Fish was in quarantine for a couple weeks prior so I wouldn't think it would be uronema? But it still has me uneasy.

I can say with certainty that this wasn't on the fish yesterday. There is also zero redness to it like I see in the pictures of uronema.

It darts around through the rockwork at high speed when startled, so I wouldn't be surprised if it scraped itself against a rock.

I tried to take a picture without blues on, but the fish just hides when I change the light settings too much. I know the images aren't terrific quality, but unfortunately it's the best I was able to do.

Attachments

• chromis-sick.jpg
    chromis-sick.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 7
  • chromis sick 2.png
    chromis sick 2.png
    319.8 KB · Views: 7
  • chromis 3.png
    chromis 3.png
    196.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Nroddot

Well, good and bad news.

Good news is that the chromis is still alive and acting normal.

Bad news is that the afflicted area has slightly darkened and almost looks bruised. Which I guess would be expected of any form of tissue trauma? It's still not the bright red color I see in most of the uronema pictures. Another chromis developed a similar mark (although smaller) on its tail. They are regularly fighting and chasing each other. I hope it's just from that and not uronema.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling in my gut that it is uronema. I am expecting the worst but hoping for the best. If the chromis is still alive and acting fine in a couple days does that mean that I'm probably in the clear and that it isn't uronema?

What a way to start a first tank. It's going to be very demoralizing and heartbreaking if this is uronema...

Humblefish

If the chromis is still alive and acting fine in a couple days does that mean that I'm probably in the clear and that it isn't uronema?

If its uronema, the redness/sores will just continue to intensify. One by one it will take all the chromis out (other fish may be unaffected). It's very rare for a chromis to overcome uronema without treatment.

Are there any corals/inverts in this tank?

Nroddot

Just a xenia, green star polyp and a handful of crabs/snails.

Seems like I have two choices. Start all over and just bleach everything or move forward and only house fish that typically aren't susceptible to it.

I'm leaning towards just moving forward, honestly. I've already invested a lot of money into sand, rock, water conditioner etc etc. The thought of starting over at this point isn't even feasible for me. Super bummed out, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Nroddot

Okay, thank you for your help. I just ordered some metro and will start dosing as soon as possible.

Do you think it would be worth purchasing a UV sterilizer too? I searched around and found mixed opinions on whether or not it helps with with uronema.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
There is another option. Dose metro every 48 hours for 10 days: https://www.seachem.com/metroplex.php

Metro is sometimes used to eliminate uronema, and there is anecdotal evidence that it is reef safe. I wouldn't tell you to do this if you had a DT full of corals, but it looks like you wouldn't have much to lose worst-case scenario.

Good to see you here Humblefish!

Metro from Amazon is a quick way to get it DI hopefully it works for you. I would agree that there is little loss if you do it in tank just be sure to turn off your carbon

Humblefish

Do you think it would be worth purchasing a UV sterilizer too? I searched around and found mixed opinions on whether or not it helps with with uronema.

Uronema can subsist off bacteria and detritus, so it's oftentimes found inside of rocks or in the sand bed. A UV can only eliminate what it can siphon out of the water column (e.g. Ich/velvet free swimmers), so I doubt it would be much help with uronema.

Nroddot

Alright, thanks again. And thank you too PSU4ME. I am running a carbon reactor, so I will definitely turn that off when I treat the tank.

I ended up euthanizing the chromis as humanely as possible. It was ignoring food, breathing heavy, and struggling to stay afloat. I suspect I'll have to do the same thing soon to the other one.

Obviously I'll be holding off on livestock for quite awhile. I really hope the Seachem metroplex works because I honestly don't even know where to begin if it comes to shutting down and restarting.

If it comes down to restarting, do I truly have to remove and bleach everything? I'm just now learning about this parasite, but from what I understand it can only survive in saltwater? Couldn't I just drain the tank, fill it with freshwater, and then just run it like that for a couple weeks?

Last edited:

Humblefish