New to Reef Hobby

stuccoman

Hello all! My name is Shaun and I am new to the reef hobby. I have had a tropical tank in one form or another for 40yrs, holy moly makes me look old. Due to some tank issues with the 55 I had for 32 or so years and dragged all over southeast Wyoming we bought a new 55 and decided to make the transition to marine, something I have wanted to due for quite some time. We set up the new tank late Oct. 2019, added live rock, a clean up crew and let it cycle. No crap about the cost, maybe should have researched that a little more but what the heck jump in. We were going to originally go for a FOWLR tank and quickly transitioned to reef. Currently have the clean up crew, 5 fish and, 14 coral. LOVING IT! Had one major issue at a water change and lost all snails, 1 leather finger, nursing back a poscillopora and and green polyp. All other original coral and new ones seem to be doing well, which lead s me to my question.
Why are some of my Zoa polyps releasing and floating around? Their are noticeably fewer polyps on the rock they came on. Tank parameters are good. Zoa is close to light and with good flow. The Zoa opens up, has good color and seems to be doing well.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Highlyagaming

Welcome to RS, congratz on the new tank. Mind posting your parameters? A lil info on zoas they are very finicky lil things it all depends on luck imo I've had them in tanks with lil to no maintenance (completely forgotten about) and they thrived, then I've had em in a prestige tank perfect stable parameters and some species die off some stay alive but wont thrive and others grow out of hand lol

As to the snails all dying sounds like a spike in some parameter ammonia maybe, mind posting your current parameters and tell us a lil more about your tank and its equipment. Pictures are awesome btw :p