Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Sorry to hear that. Did you manage to get her out or ‘crabs’ ?
It was easy to get her out as she suddenly got blown out of her cave and her body was tumbling in the current. She must have just died. Apart from the Popeye there didn't appear to be anything wrong with her.

Nobbygas

I think we are all prepared for what may lie ahead? There is the real possibility that the fish shops will close down. I have bought extra frozen, so there is enough to last a couple of months. As an extra I got a tub of pellets and more Brine Shrimp eggs. I always have surplus Calc, Alk and Mag powders, a spare litre of NOPOX, filter floss, DI Resin etc. I think I am ready.

Pancho75

I think we are all prepared for what may lie ahead? There is the real possibility that the fish shops will close down. I have bought extra frozen, so there is enough to last a couple of months. As an extra I got a tub of pellets and more Brine Shrimp eggs. I always have surplus Calc, Alk and Mag powders, a spare litre of NOPOX, filter floss, DI Resin etc. I think I am ready.
Yes, we have to stock extra for everything. I have never seen something like this but it is very likely the LFS will close and maybe some of them will not survive the cash crunch.

I need to get additional Ca in my case.

Nobbygas

You have to wonder.....

First thing I noticed was that some of the seven Anthias had huge chunks bitten from their tails. The next day all seven had bits missing from their tails. This wasn't a case of fin rot or anything like that as it was easy to see that 'something' had been chomping on their tails! I thought at first that a war had broken out among the Anthias (1 male 3 female Lyretail, 3 female two-spot Anthias). The next day I saw that one of the Royal Grammas also had a chomped tail......something fishy was going on.
Normally there is no aggression in the tank. It is all peaceful, almost hippy like. If I had a tree in the tank they'd all be hugging it! The only addition was the Splendid Dottyback. So, as we reefkeepers do, I kept a beady eye on him.........and noticed nothing. He didn't display any aggressive tendancies at all. If anything is going on then I suspect it's when the elights go down. None of the Wrasse, Tangs, Trigger, Flame Angel or Coral Beauty have been bitten. They are all fine. To cap it all off, the Orange Spotted Goby is MIA. I haven't seen him for a couple of days. My main suspect is still the Splended Dottyback. Any fish that is either the same size, or smaller than him, seems to have been attacked.
I did check before buying him and he was described as being "semi-aggresive", but maybe I've bought the Rambo of the species?

legazya

You have to wonder.....

First thing I noticed was that some of the seven Anthias had huge chunks bitten from their tails. The next day all seven had bits missing from their tails. This wasn't a case of fin rot or anything like that as it was easy to see that 'something' had been chomping on their tails! I thought at first that a war had broken out among the Anthias (1 male 3 female Lyretail, 3 female two-spot Anthias). The next day I saw that one of the Royal Grammas also had a chomped tail......something fishy was going on.
Normally there is no aggression in the tank. It is all peaceful, almost hippy like. If I had a tree in the tank they'd all be hugging it! The only addition was the Splendid Dottyback. So, as we reefkeepers do, I kept a beady eye on him.........and noticed nothing. He didn't display any aggressive tendancies at all. If anything is going on then I suspect it's when the elights go down. None of the Wrasse, Tangs, Trigger, Flame Angel or Coral Beauty have been bitten. They are all fine. To cap it all off, the Orange Spotted Goby is MIA. I haven't seen him for a couple of days. My main suspect is still the Splended Dottyback. Any fish that is either the same size, or smaller than him, seems to have been attacked.
I did check before buying him and he was described as being "semi-aggresive", but maybe I've bought the Rambo of the species?

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/dottybackschoose-carefully.htm

Nobbygas

Good news though. The Anthia with the Gall problem that was swimming vertically to stay down now appears to be ok.......apart from having half her tail fin missing that is.

Nobbygas

I've decided to give the Spendid one more week. Maybe the aggression was just his way of sorting out where he fits in. If the aggression drops off, then fine, he can stay. If it continues, then he'll be ran outta town !

Nobbygas

Where I originate from, which is Bristol, there is a famous LFS called SouthWestMarines. One of the best in the country. During this current crisis where it may be difficult for people to get out to their shop, they are offering a home delivery service for things like RO, salted RO, frozen food, consummables etc etc.
I think it's a cracking idea.

Nobbygas

So, the Splendid Dottyback can stay. The aggression appears to have died down, and all the fish whose tails had been decimated appear to be growing new tail fins! As I suspected it was just his way of finding out where he fitted in the hierarchy of things. He didn't touch any Tangs, Wrasse, Clowns or Trigger. They were all obviously too feisty for him.....but I'm still going to keep a beady eye on the critter !

Pancho75

So, the Splendid Dottyback can stay. The aggression appears to have died down, and all the fish whose tails had been decimated appear to be growing new tail fins! As I suspected it was just his way of finding out where he fitted in the hierarchy of things. He didn't touch any Tangs, Wrasse, Clowns or Trigger. They were all obviously too feisty for him.....but I'm still going to keep a beady eye on the critter !
Good news !
Dottybacks are so beautiful but have a very bad reputation.

Nobbygas

These fish are strange things aren't they.

About a week ago, my female Leopard Wrasse went missing for two days. I tend to count the fish every day and she was missing. Then, around 6ish in the evening she suddenly re-appeared, although she was swimming weakly and staying in a bottom corner. To look at her there didn't seem to be any problems. She did eat some food, and then promptly disappeared again, presumably back into the sand although I didn't witness it. Then I didn't see her for five days. I was resigned to the fact that she was probably dead as she didn't look that strong.
Anyway, I was sat near the tank last night talking to She Who Casts No Shadow, whan I suddenly saw the Leopard Wrasse swimming about. I leapt up to have a close look and she looked fine. I very quickly fed the tank a large dollop of food to give her something to eat. She ate well, but it was the behaviour of the other fish that was strange. After being missing for five days it was almost as if the other fish had forgotten about her and she was just another new fish in the tank. All of the other Wrasse, who previously had all lived happily with the Leopard, now started to harrass her. It is as if she has to earn her place in the pecking order once again! I'm just hoping she has the strength to put up with it.

Now, what about this for a theory. Leopard Wrasse have a reputation for being very sensitive to time changes. This is given as one of the reasons they tend to disappear in the sand when you first get them. Quite often you won't see them for seven to ten days after adding them. Did the clocks changing effect the Leopard Wrasse? Alright, I'm aware that the clocks changing themselves won't affect the fish, but sunrise and sunset have both changed.

Oh, and something else happened yesterday. The street where I lived suffered a power cut. It only lasted about eight minutes, but the Ecotech Battery Backup kicked in to keep the Vectra Return Pump ticking over ! I was quite pleased :)

Reactions: SPR

SPR

These fish are strange things aren't they.

About a week ago, my female Leopard Wrasse went missing for two days. I tend to count the fish every day and she was missing. Then, around 6ish in the evening she suddenly re-appeared, although she was swimming weakly and staying in a bottom corner. To look at her there didn't seem to be any problems. She did eat some food, and then promptly disappeared again, presumably back into the sand although I didn't witness it. Then I didn't see her for five days. I was resigned to the fact that she was probably dead as she didn't look that strong.
Anyway, I was sat near the tank last night talking to She Who Casts No Shadow, whan I suddenly saw the Leopard Wrasse swimming about. I leapt up to have a close look and she looked fine. I very quickly fed the tank a large dollop of food to give her something to eat. She ate well, but it was the behaviour of the other fish that was strange. After being missing for five days it was almost as if the other fish had forgotten about her and she was just another new fish in the tank. All of the other Wrasse, who previously had all lived happily with the Leopard, now started to harrass her. It is as if she has to earn her place in the pecking order once again! I'm just hoping she has the strength to put up with it.

Now, what about this for a theory. Leopard Wrasse have a reputation for being very sensitive to time changes. This is given as one of the reasons they tend to disappear in the sand when you first get them. Quite often you won't see them for seven to ten days after adding them. Did the clocks changing effect the Leopard Wrasse? Alright, I'm aware that the clocks changing themselves won't affect the fish, but sunrise and sunset have both changed.

Oh, and something else happened yesterday. The street where I lived suffered a power cut. It only lasted about eight minutes, but the Ecotech Battery Backup kicked in to keep the Vectra Return Pump ticking over ! I was quite pleased :)
Fish are funny things, I think there very unpredictable in behaviour

The ecotech is funny as well, it’s quiet satisfying isn’t it! Lol

discol76

I’ve used them before, lots, and there very good. About 25-40% less than LFS’s

I did however have an issue this morning when they arrived. the 20 hermit crabs were dead. And there wasn’t even any water in their bag, nor any sign of a leak

So I was sat thinking,mmmm. So I emailed them with pictures

They had sent me hermit crabs ‘shells’ which they also sell by mistake!

So there sending me the correct hermits to be delivered Friday and I also maybe get another 20 to help them with the second postage cost.

Empty shells :duh:

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Like everyone else I've been spending a lot of time at home recently. This is the sort of time that you find yourself doing those jobs around the tank that you don't normally do. For example, yesterday I took off the Red Sea net cover and took it into the garden to give it a good clean with the hose pipe, to wash off all the salt creep stuff. I also vacuumed the top of the lights as a lot of dust had gathered there.

Living the dream.

SPR

Like everyone else I've been spending a lot of time at home recently. This is the sort of time that you find yourself doing those jobs around the tank that you don't normally do. For example, yesterday I took off the Red Sea net cover and took it into the garden to give it a good clean with the hose pipe, to wash off all the salt creep stuff. I also vacuumed the top of the lights as a lot of dust had gathered there.

Living the dream.
I wish I hadn’t taken the rear circulation pumps out, I could have cleaned them!! Lol

I’m slowly going mad, no golf, although I am very fortunate to have a large garden

Nobbygas

I wish I hadn’t taken the rear circulation pumps out, I could have cleaned them!! Lol

I’m slowly going mad, no golf, although I am very fortunate to have a large garden
No matter how big your garden it would never be able to contain my natural slice when using the Big Bertha ! The way that ball moves defies the Laws of Physics !

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

The ongoing saga with the Leopard Wrasse.......

She is still spending a lot of time in the sand, but she is now making more frequent trips around the tank. I obviously cannot watch the tank all day, but it appears she comes out three of four times a day for food. She does appear to be a bit weak and very nervous. She is being hassled by some of the other fish, mainly the Yellow Tailed Tamarin Wrasse and the Splendid Dottyback. Looking at her I cannot see anything wrong. She still looks beautiful. Her fins are in good shape and there are no spots or blemishes that I can see. It's a strange one and I can only try to ensure she does get some food when she comes out.

SPR

No matter how big your garden it would never be able to contain my natural slice when using the Big Bertha ! The way that ball moves defies the Laws of Physics !
Lol! Drives you mad I know. By the time I play again, I’ll have forgotten how to! But then I might have lost all my bad habits

Hopefully the Wrasse will be ok