Nobby's S-650

SPR

Yeah, I still like the softies. I totally understand why people go down the SPS route, and I can really appreciate the look, but my personal taste is for the movement. SPS have the reputation of being more difficult to grow, but I find the Torch/Galaxia/Gonipora/Anemome war that goes on in the tank just as difficult to manage at times !
I know I’m going back to a mixed reef in the big tank as I prefer some movement rather than just ‘sticks’

I’ve got about 13 frags arriving tomorrow and some other stuff I’ve ordered online

rustyreefer

Yeah, I still like the softies. I totally understand why people go down the SPS route, and I can really appreciate the look, but my personal taste is for the movement. SPS have the reputation of being more difficult to grow, but I find the Torch/Galaxia/Gonipora/Anemome war that goes on in the tank just as difficult to manage at times !
I too like the movement in the tank. I have started filling the mid range with hammers and torches. Waiting for coral guy to drag his 14 head hell fire torch. Been wanting add one for a while now as they have a fantastic look in medium flow. Like a dragon soul.
I do want to try some Acro towards the top though. Just to say I can lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pancho75

I know I’m going back to a mixed reef in the big tank as I prefer some movement rather than just ‘sticks’

I’ve got about 13 frags arriving tomorrow and some other stuff I’ve ordered online
Definetely mix reef is the choice for me as well. From my point of view is more difficult than a SPS or LPS only tank. I love the movement, SPS are nice too but I prefer a bit of everything.

SPR

I've had mixed fortunes with online frags.
I’ve used them before, lots, and there very good. About 25-40% less than LFS’s

I did however have an issue this morning when they arrived. the 20 hermit crabs were dead. And there wasn’t even any water in their bag, nor any sign of a leak

So I was sat thinking,mmmm. So I emailed them with pictures

They had sent me hermit crabs ‘shells’ which they also sell by mistake!

So there sending me the correct hermits to be delivered Friday and I also maybe get another 20 to help them with the second postage cost.

Nobbygas

The Female Blue Throated Trigger is still alive! She is still hiding in the same place though and doesn't even come out for food. During the day she is stationed head first into the rock, presumably using her 'trigger' to wedge herself in. When the lights go down she turns around and spends the rest of the night with her face looking up. I did actually see her come out of the rock yesterday and I was able to get a good look at her. The hole on the side of her mouth seems to have cleared up, and overall she looked healthy, except for Popeye on the right eye. I assume this is just a manifistation of the stress caused by the bacterial infecton around her mouth. I use a long turkey baster type thingy to squirt food into the cave where she is 'self isolating' (to use a curent phrase) and it seems to be working as it is now around three weeks since she stopped coming out to eat, but she's still there !

Nobbygas

Now onto the vectra L2 again.......his morning I had the time to install it. Everything looked good. I removed the old pump, and then went to install the new one...oh, hang on.......the new serrated adapter doesn't fit the old return pipe. Bugger. So, I put the old one back in and made a cup of tea to ponder the situation.
I remembered near me was a freshwater fish shop. I have been in there a few times to get things like tubing or Eheim pumps, and the bloke is really friendly and does speak a little English, so I popped down there. Unfortunately he couldn't help me but he directed to this place across the road. It was like a junk yard with 'stuff' piled high everywhere, but one thing stood out, the bloke had all the gear for garden ponds, including pumps, UV's, pipes etc. He didn't speak any English, but through a combination of showing him a piece of the return pipe with the adaptor I was able to explain what I wanted. Off he went rummaging through piles of junk, when he proudly came back with some tubing and an adaptor which makes everything fit together. It only cost seven Euros. I was, and still am, well pleased. Tomorrow morning the Vectra WILL be fitted. Huzzah !
The tank will be quieter. *The electricity bill reduced*. My ears will stop bleeding from the verbal assaults of She Who Casts No Shadow!

*ssshh, I may have made that up :)

SPR

Now onto the vectra L2 again.......his morning I had the time to install it. Everything looked good. I removed the old pump, and then went to install the new one...oh, hang on.......the new serrated adapter doesn't fit the old return pipe. Bugger. So, I put the old one back in and made a cup of tea to ponder the situation.
I remembered near me was a freshwater fish shop. I have been in there a few times to get things like tubing or Eheim pumps, and the bloke is really friendly and does speak a little English, so I popped down there. Unfortunately he couldn't help me but he directed to this place across the road. It was like a junk yard with 'stuff' piled high everywhere, but one thing stood out, the bloke had all the gear for garden ponds, including pumps, UV's, pipes etc. He didn't speak any English, but through a combination of showing him a piece of the return pipe with the adaptor I was able to explain what I wanted. Off he went rummaging through piles of junk, when he proudly came back with some tubing and an adaptor which makes everything fit together. It only cost seven Euros. I was, and still am, well pleased. Tomorrow morning the Vectra WILL be fitted. Huzzah !
The tank will be quieter. *The electricity bill reduced*. My ears will stop bleeding from the verbal assaults of She Who Casts No Shadow!

*ssshh, I may have made that up :)
Can you make a video!? lol

Nobbygas

Ha, ha, you all may mock.....

But the Vectra is alive ! I connected it up as sweet as a nut this morning. I did have a few problems with the Calibration, but eventually it worked. I'm now waiting for the Mobius App to be updated to include Vectra devices. I only have it running at about 70% but already I can see that the flow is better than with the old Sicce pump as I had to make a large adjustment to the Downflow Valve. Basically there is more water being pumped into the DT meaning the water level rose so I had to open the downflow valve quite a way to get the balance correct again. The decibel levels are down to about 33dB from the tank. Have you measured the noise level of your tank? There are free apps for yout phone that do it.

I think it's best to head down to the LFS tomorrow and stock up on frozen food. If Italy is anything to go by, all shops, except food, may be closed soon. We have to look after ourselves in the current climate, but don't forget about our fishy friends.

Pancho75

Good to know the Vectra is working fine. How do you find the Ecotech app?

Here it is how the Sicce app looks like.

751e7218b0ed35414bf33f36a1b5cebf.jpg

Nobbygas

I haven't looked at the Ecotech App yet. I'm a bit overloaded with this Coronavirus hysteria. I'm currently working at a secondary location, and today we've been told to work from home very soon, so a team of guys have been at my house installing all sorts of wonderful computer stuff.

Nobbygas

Having looked at the Ecosmart Live App, all I can say is that it is useless for a Vectra.

Anyway, I was in the LFS today stocking up for the forthcoming apocalypse when I saw a beauty. It was a Splendid Dottyback. You don't see them in the shops very often. Well, before anyone could say, "yip" I had him in a bag and was away!