Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

Shaun, you get the UltraMarine magazine. Can you tell us if there is anything interesting with the following article in the latest issue?

"This Issue there is a great article by Kenneth Wingerter who explains the benefits of feeding live foods and plankton to your reef, also taking a little look at how you can cultivate your own live foods at home to feed some of those more finicky eaters and at the same time saving you a little money."

SPR

Shaun, you get the UltraMarine magazine. Can you tell us if there is anything interesting with the following article in the latest issue?

"This Issue there is a great article by Kenneth Wingerter who explains the benefits of feeding live foods and plankton to your reef, also taking a little look at how you can cultivate yourown live foods at home to feed some of those more finicky eaters and at the same time saving you a little money."
I’ll have a look when I get home

it doesn’t sound very exciting though!!

Last edited:

Pancho75

I installed a camera at the rear of the tank a few weeks ago, primarily so I can see if there are any issues and also if I get any notifications from the leak detector I can double check. Sometimes they can give false alarms if they get even a little moisture near them and it’s now sat on a paper towel to reduce this.

I’ve also got a 59 second defer delay command on the Apex alarm notifications to prevent any alarms from sensor ‘noise’

I’ve also installed a DD temperature controller today as another line of fail safe on the system. Apex gave a false low temperature when I was away, or something odd happened and it turned on the heaters. I did a remote reset and when it came back up it was showing the correct temperature and heaters off. I reported this to Neptune, but it seems to have sorted itself out, but I’m not taking any chances

So for the heating system, I have Eheim heaters with their own thermostats, the DD as primary controller and then Neptune Apex as a final failsafe. Apex leaves the outlet on unless it detects a temperature of over 29c (or whatever I set it at) and then will switch the whole heating system off automatically.

I’ve also put the temperature display at the back of the tank, but can check it with the camera if need be. The camera fully rotates, zooms and goes up and down so I can see anything, calcium reactor etc.

Here’s a few pictures of the leak detector and display

View attachment 50139View attachment 50140
Mmmm... it is a bit obsessive but a man must have his toys !

Nobbygas

I know a lot of people have trouble growing Gonipora. I think most people put them on the sand. With mine, I jammed it into a rock face and it has grown beautifully. It encrusts onto the rock, but not like a Montipora does.

SPR

I know a lot of people have trouble growing Gonipora. I think most people put them on the sand. With mine, I jammed it into a rock face and it has grown beautifully. It encrusts onto the rock, but not like a Montipora does.
They need lots of flow, the above is in the new tank, but in the S650 I have several some of which were put in at the same time. Those with high flow are 2-3 x the size of low/medium flow.

SPR

Here’s an up to date video taken today and including the Yellow Tang Gang who are generally best friends now. Infact I might get another 2 or 3

All of the corals are doing very well including the SPS which are growing. The Twin Tech Calcium reactor, well just works, and all water parameters are stable. Phosphate is locked down at just above zero with 1kg if rhowaphos.

Nitrates were around 3 but I tested last week and they had dropped to about 0.5 so I’ve been over feeding this week to raise them. I have 16 litres of Seachem Matrix and 4 litres of Seachem DeNitrate which is on standby as soon as nitrates reach around 5. I was going to add it, but when I saw the nitrates had reduced I held off. Bear in mind there’s already around 10 litres of Matrix in place.

Anyway here’s the video and you can also see the s650..... Tank is just under 4 months old