New Blue Spot in QT

andreowg

hi all. New to this forum and having some trouble navigating. If there is a thread on this subject feel free to point me in that direction.

Just looking for any tips or guidance on keeping this guy in QT for a few weeks. It’s bare bottom with one piece of dry live rock, whisper carbon filter and a sponge filter. It’s just a cheap Walmart 5 gallon. He looks kinda bored or maybe upset because he’s not moving around too much, although he likes to swim up current near the sponge filter. He’s eating fine but trying to do it sparingly to control ammonia in an unicycles QT tank.
Very much appreciate any guidance.

Attachments

• DFFF56EB-107C-4FB3-B8B3-DAEA6402E747.jpeg
    DFFF56EB-107C-4FB3-B8B3-DAEA6402E747.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Did you send the sponge at all? A Seachem ammonia badge is a must in such a small tank. Are you wanting to treat him or are you just watching?

andreowg

Did you send the sponge at all? A Seachem ammonia badge is a must in such a small tank. Are you wanting to treat him or are you just watching?

sponge was not seeded before hand. I got ich from not QTing fish and lost 5 of 6. So kinda set it up in a hurry. Just got two new fish, a Lubbock Wrasse and then Blue Spot. Both in a bare bottom 5 gallon. I have Seachem badges on both. It’s been pretty much staying in that greenish color with a hint of yellow.

I was going to just try to observe and not treat unless necessary. So far neither are showing any signs of anything and don’t appear stressed. They most just look bored but they are eating.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would add a bacteria to help with the ammonia processing........ unless you’re planning the change 50% of the water a day at matches parameters. Bio-spira is likely available at a local store and will help if added to your hob (pour in and leave off for 20 min or so). Seachem bade should hopefully stay in the yellow

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If your display had ich, it needs to run fallow for about 2 months so you’re on a long journey here. QTing your fish is great but putting them in a known display with ich without it running fallow doesn’t do anything for you. Follow?

andreowg

I would add a bacteria to help with the ammonia processing........ unless you’re planning the change 50% of the water a day at matches parameters. Bio-spira is likely available at a local store and will help if added to your hob (pour in and leave off for 20 min or so). Seachem bade should hopefully stay in the yellow

yes. Thanks. I have been dosing with Seed. Used it on my main DT and it works well. I’m more just wondering if there is anything special I should do for the Blue Dot while in QT. I’m not using sand but I do have a piece of PVC and a piece of sacrificial live rock (dry).

andreowg

If your display had ich, it needs to run fallow for about 2 months so you’re on a long journey here. QTing your fish is great but putting them in a known display with ich without it running fallow doesn’t do anything for you. Follow?

yup I am running fallow. I’m 1.5 months into the fallow period. Not planning to put the new fish in until early April which will be about 80-85 days. So I should be safe. Anything I should be doing to keep the Blue Dot comfortable? Have a piece of PVC which only the Wrasse uses and a piece of dry live rock which they both hid under. Both eating well.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
For wrasses who require sand I add it. For the jaw fish, he would like sand but it’s not something he needs so I’d avoid it. Plus he would like about 3-5” lol

Good job on the fallow period. Just keep up in the ammonia in qt, 5g tanks are pretty small. I like the 20 long for a qt

andreowg

For wrasses who require sand I add it. For the jaw fish, he would like sand but it’s not something he needs so I’d avoid it. Plus he would like about 3-5” lol

Good job on the fallow period. Just keep up in the ammonia in qt, 5g tanks are pretty small. I like the 20 long for a qt

I did try some sand at first. Neither the wrasse or the Blue Dot went near it. They both seem to be doing ok. The wrasse hides/sleeps under the rock so I may just leave it for now. I should have got a bigger tank. I lost 5 of 6 fish so I just got the 5 gallon the hold the one. But then decided to get these two guys and didn’t want to cross contaminate the first one so just picked up a cheap 5 gallon from Walmart. In hindsight I should have got a bigger one. I’ll put it on the list. Haha

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Beautiful fish !

index.php