Nobby's S-650

SPR

No, it's not that. Both the top and bottom of the Torq are 'push on'. The O Ring is supposed to not only stop the water but provides the tight fit. I have already replaced the O Ring on the bottom (free from NYOS) but the whole design is flawed. Once any pressure builds up from the clogging sponges, then the whole unit pops from either the top or the bottom.

As for the 'other' lubricant, I find it leaves a nasty smell in the air when it overheats !
Thats probably why Deltec use a screw fitting then. It doesn’t explode or pop!

Nobbygas

Ooops, I think I better watch my Torq. I do not have those issues yet but I don’t want to spend a day pick up media from all over the sump !
Pancho, you'll know what I mean about the 'push on' top and bottom. I am wondering if the O Rings get a bit rigid too quickly so not providing that nice seal, especially after being used for a few months.

Nobbygas

I have two health problems going on at the moment in the tank. I have one Female Two-Spotted Anthia (bimaculatus) that has a Swim Bladder problem. She hangs in the water, head down tail up and fins frantically just to stay still. This is obviously very tiring as often she finds an overhang and just lays under that as it stops her floating up. She is eating well, no problems there. I have researched and it looks as though there is not much I can do, and I just have to hope it 'goes away'. Apparently, fish can't fart! I did watch one video where a bloke took his fish out, and used a syringe to draw out the gas from the stomach of the fish, but I think that is a step too far for me.
The second issue is with the Female Blue Throated Trigger. She had a bacterial infection on her mouth. This came out as white spots/bumps around her mouth. I treated the food with Kanaplex (general Antibiotic) which cleared up the white bumps, but it looks as though they have left a hole on the side of her mouth. She is hiding all the time, except for feed time where she's out of the rock as quick as a flash and eating like a pig. As soon as the food is gone she's back into the rocks again. While she is eating like this then I am not too concerned. The hole is obviously causing her problems, hence the hiding, but she is still eating very well.

SPR

I have two health problems going on at the moment in the tank. I have one Female Two-Spotted Anthia (bimaculatus) that has a Swim Bladder problem. She hangs in the water, head down tail up and fins frantically just to stay still. This is obviously very tiring as often she finds an overhang and just lays under that as it stops her floating up. She is eating well, no problems there. I have researched and it looks as though there is not much I can do, and I just have to hope it 'goes away'. Apparently, fish can't fart! I did watch one video where a bloke took his fish out, and used a syringe to draw out the gas from the stomach of the fish, but I think that is a step too far for me.
The second issue is with the Female Blue Throated Trigger. She had a bacterial infection on her mouth. This came out as white spots/bumps around her mouth. I treated the food with Kanaplex (general Antibiotic) which cleared up the white bumps, but it looks as though they have left a hole on the side of her mouth. She is hiding all the time, except for feed time where she's out of the rock as quick as a flash and eating like a pig. As soon as the food is gone she's back into the rocks again. While she is eating like this then I am not too concerned. The hole is obviously causing her problems, hence the hiding, but she is still eating very well.
I really don’t know what we can sometimes do about fish health, catching them is often impossible and unless you know what your doing, you can easily kill them by trying to be kind.

I have an Anthias with ‘pop eye’ but can’t really do anything and am also ‘hoping it goes away’

Nobbygas

I really don’t know what we can sometimes do about fish health, catching them is often impossible and unless you know what your doing, you can easily kill them by trying to be kind.

I have an Anthias with ‘pop eye’ but can’t really do anything and am also ‘hoping it goes away’
If it is one fish with just the one eye causing problems, then it is most likely the result of either fighting or catching the eye on something. If it were caused by water problems then you'd see more fish being affected. In my humble opinion, it will just 'go away'. The good news is that if the fish develops a hump on it's back, you can then call him Quasimodo!

Pancho75

Sorry to hear about the health issues, I think we do out best but in many cases sh&$@ happens without any reason. The triggerfish may recover as she is eating.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Here is an interesting video. It's a presentation of Mobius, and it is quite clear that it will become a major competitor to the Apex stuff.
With Apex you have to have wires connecting everything? With Mobius it appears the intention is to do away with the cables.

Nobbygas

The Female Blue Throated Trigger is still hiding away in the rocks, and only coming out for food. As I have said previously, the bacterial infection appears to have gone, but she does now have a hole on the side of her mouth. There is not much I can do I think except hope that she keeps feeding and slowly recovers.

SPR

Here is an interesting video. It's a presentation of Mobius, and it is quite clear that it will become a major competitor to the Apex stuff.
With Apex you have to have wires connecting everything? With Mobius it appears the intention is to do away with the cables.
The problem with no wires and WiFi is potentiall unreliability which you definitely don’t want. Both my Apex’s are hard wired with Ethernet cables

I’m guessing Ecotech would have dealt with this somehow knowing the quality of what they do, so interesting

Nobbygas

So then ‘magnum’ how is Barcelona?

Its absolutely splendid we’re I am a bit further south of you.
The weather was top notch. Around 20 degrees with beautiful sunshine. Last time I was in Barcelona was about twenty years ago, and nothing much has changed !
We visited the Barcelona Aquarium, and there were plenty of smaller tanks on display. She Who Casts No Shadow doesn't pay any attention to my tank, but she did comment my tank actually looked much better than any of the tanks on display ! That brought a little spring in my step and warranted a beer for lunch ! I also took Mini Me MKII to watch Barcelona play on Saturday at Camp Nou. We both loved that.

Nobbygas

The weather was top notch. Around 20 degrees with beautiful sunshine. Last time I was in Barcelona was about twenty years ago, and nothing much has changed !
We visited the Barcelona Aquarium, and there were plenty of smaller tanks on display. She Who Casts No Shadow doesn't pay any attention to my tank, but she did comment my tank actually looked much better than any of the tanks on display ! That brought a little spring in my step and warranted a beer for lunch ! I also took Mini Me MKII to watch Barcelona play on Saturday at Camp Nou. We both loved that.
Have you managed to get much shanking, sorry I mean golf in?

Nobbygas

It's not looking good with the female Blue Throated Trigger. She has stopped coming out of the rocks for food. She is still alive as I can see her wedged into the rocks. My experience however is that as soon as they stop eating, then the Grim Reaper will come calling pretty soon.

SPR

, but she did comment my tank actually looked much better than any of the tanks on display !.

Was that at the cost of a new outfit or something shortly afterwards! Lol

Played golf twice so far, ‘magnificently’ (not!) and the weather is delightful and I’m staying here until Monday

Sorry about the Trigger. Fish don’t seem to have much fight in them sometimes, that’s what happened to my Dory. Just hung around in the rocks never to be seen again.

But now I have a new Dory, a baby Dory

Nobbygas

So, this morning I removed the NYOS Torq, stripped it down and gave it a good clean before putting it in storage. I don't want to sell it as you never know what new miracle media may become fashionable!
I installed my old FMR75 reactor loaded with Rowophos, and it is fed from the manifold. In fact it is the same green tube that used to feed the old C-Skim 1800 ! That is one less pump working in the tank! I put the Carbon into a bag and placed it back in it's original spot just before the Return Pump chamber.
I am becoming more willing to make changes in the tank. I'm even looking to feed the uVC from the manifold. This would mean 'doing' some pipe work. I would need to install one of the red handled thingys. I do get dizzy just thinking about it, but then again it would mean yet another pump being removed.
I still haven't installed the Vectra L1 yet. I need to find a gap of a few hours where I'll be left alone to work on it.