Moving a RSM S500 to a new house.

oakleyx

Hi All,

I'm moving in a month and I'm trying to figure out the best way to move my tanks.

My new house is 8 miles away.

This is what I am thinking.

As soon as I get possession of my new house go there and set up my 40 gallon. Do a water change from my current tank and bring the water over to the new house with some rocks and sand.

The next day when the movers come I will have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid on the moving truck. I will pump out the water from the tank to the Rubbermaid tub on the truck. At that time put most rocks and the fish in buckets. Take the fish to my new house and put in the 40 gallon.

Once the tank is drained and sand is remove, move the tank to the moving truck. Once we get to the new place, put the tank in the new location and pump water from the Rubbermaid back into the tank.

In a few days once everything is settled, put the fish back into the tank.

So here is my question, what is the best way to move the tank.
1. Just have the movers lift it. Get some glass suction handles.
upload_2020-1-28_12-10-1.png
2. Lift the tank and put on these and just roll the tank.
upload_2020-1-28_12-8-22.png

I think option 2 will work.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
-Dan

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I just had guys install my tank and the 4/6 wheel cart is a really nice way to go. If you can get the movers to lift it I’d vote for that.

good luck!

DaveK

I would also prefer the second option. I wouldn't trust glass suction cups on a tank.

I wouild also recommend that you move the tank either before or after the day of your actual move. You'll have enough going on with out the worry of moving a tank. Moving a tank is often time critical.

I would replace the sandbed, since one it's disturbed, it can release a lot of stuff all at once.

You need not move all your existing water. It's often easier to have the rubbermaid container at the new location and mix a batch of new water. Then only move about 1/4 to 1/3 of the old water.

If an upgrade is in your plans, this is a good time to set up a new, larger tank at the new location.

Nobbygas

It is looking as though I will move back to the UK in around 18 months time, and I've already been trying to think how I would move the S-650, or at least if I sell the current one and buy a new tank I'd still have to move the corals and fish.

DaveK

You might be better off selling the entire system, livestock and all, and starting from scratch once you move back to the UK. That's a large tank and would cost a bundle to move. Also, would you have any problems with moving the livestock across international borders?

Edited to correct spelling error

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I hate moving an existing tank! IMO half the fun is building it and 18 months is a good runway to wind it down in a good way. Keep what you’ll reuse!

Nobbygas

Yooou might be better off selling the entire system, livestock and all, and starting from scratch once you move back to the UK. That's a large tank and would cost a bundle to move. Also, would you have any problems with moving the livestock across international borders?
Thanks Dave. Now you've given me something else to worry about !