Chiller for RSM S-650

datahoe

Hello,

I am in need of a new chiller for my RSM S-650. I previously had a JDJ Artica 1/4 chiller but it has stopped working. I actually believe it has stopped working for some time now but now the temps are continuously rising. I have a fan cooling it some but of course, the fan option is not sustainable or provides a consistent temperature.

I'm hoping for some recommendations on the brand of the chiller as well as size. I think I would like to purchase a 1/3 HP chiller to minimize the amount of time it comes on. These are the two I have limited my search to:

TECO TK2000 1/3 hp chiller

JBJ Artica 1/3 hp chiller

Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Nobbygas

The TECO 1000 would be big enough. I run one on my S-650 (it also heats as well). It fits very nicely into the chiller compartment on the S-650.

datahoe

The TECO 1000 would be big enough. I run one on my S-650 (it also heats as well). It fits very nicely into the chiller compartment on the S-650.

How long have you had yours? Have you had any issues? Although it seems a little more expensive, it appears to be a better chiller. I do like the heating option. How long is the warranty?

Nobbygas

I have had it running for three years. The only issue I've had is that recently I had to replace the two rubber seals in the inlet/outlet connectors.

datahoe

I have had it running for three years. The only issue I've had is that recently I had to replace the two rubber seals in the inlet/outlet connectors.

Thanks, I think I have made my decision and will get the TECO 2000.

One thing I didn't see is the amps the chiller uses. Do you happen to know how many amps it draws? Also, you said it fits inside the chiller area well, any issues with venting hot air out the back?

datahoe

No idea about the Amps. There are no issues with venting out the back. I have my S-650 set 6" away from the wall. If you have a look at my build thread you'll see a little improvement I made for the back to make it all look better.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/nobbys-s-650.97362/page-9

Thank you for sharing. I love the clean look of the rear of your tank and you have inspired me to do something about the back of my tank. Can you share how you made the magnetic panel on the rear of the tank? I want to create something like that to vent the heat out as well.

Nobbygas

The secret is using the self-adhesive magnetic tape. This can be cut with a pair of scissors, and basically I just put some strips on the board, with some some strips on the back of the tank which means the board 'sticks' quite nicely and is very easy to take off when required. The only other job was to cut out the rectangle for the exhaust thingy which comes supplied with the TECO to fit into.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/nobbys-s-650.97362/page-7

datahoe

Nob, thanks for the advice. My Teco 2000 arrived and I installed it over the weekend. It's working perfectly so far. The tank has stayed at 78 and so far the chiller hasn't kicked on. The heater works great as well. What pump do you use to feed your chiller?