Copperband with neurological or vision problem

Paul B

This (about) 10 year old copperband normally will eat all the clams you give him. But for the last few months he misses the food 9 out of 10 times.

In this video he gets one piece but misses all others. He aims short almost every time.

I am sure it is neurological and can't be fixed. Fish get tumors and cancers just as we do and you can't fix everything.

Uncle99

Is this behavior recent? Interesting, I have a YT for years, that behaves similar to your CB every couple of months for about 2-3 days, then, right back to normal each time. I have no idea what is going on, but since he recovers each time, no problem I hope...

DaveK

I'm wondering if the fish is seeing something close to the clams that it wants to eat. It seems strange that it would get one piece of clam but miss others. The fish does look healthy though, so it's really hard to say what's going on.

Paul B

Even if I hold a piece of clam in his face, he backs away a little and misses it with every try. He is like a quarter of an inch off. He needs glasses to correct his depth perception.

DaveK

Funny you should say that, perhaps he can't see very well through one eye, that would mess up his depth perception.

Paul B

That could be. Both eyes are clear and I am not sure if fish get cataracts. But if they did, that would be Cat-astropic.

But it does make sense.

Paul B

I am not certain on the age because I am hardly certain of my age. She could be 8 or 18. :confused:
I get fish, throw them in my tank and go out to dinner for some calamari and maybe try the Merlot.

Yesterday I bought an anthius. I already forgot what kind of anthius it is but I don't think I ever had one of these and I got him in a store which I don't like because I don't get a discount there and don't like the place. It is also filthy and the people working there seem like they would rather be working at Burger King running the French Fry machine.

My wife had a Dr. appointment near there and I go there to kill time because in her Doctors office the only magazines they have are Golf Digest and Pregnancy Today. Two books that I have always wanted to read but since they have those same two books for the three years we have been going there, I already read them.

The fish was 80 bucks and I probably could have gotten it in another place for $50.00 or less. But I was there and the fish kind of looked at me and caught my attention so I had to take him home.

(I will remember the name probably in August)
Of course I threw it in the tank and he is now behind the rocks but should be out today. (or he became bristle worm food)
Like usual I had the guy in the store feed him as I asked him to.

I asked what they feed him and they said flakes. I said I am sorry, but I want to see him eat something else so he threw in some frozen stuff which the fish ate.

It's a thick looking anthius with a reddish design on it's face sort of like an American Indian Mohican,
Or Native American Mohican, whatever is PC, I don't know. I myself am Italian, Sicilian actually but I was born in Brooklyn so I am American. I don't feel bad if you call me one of the many Italian slurs as I am not a snowflake, but you may wake up with a seahorse head in bed next to you. :eek:

DaveK

I know the feeling. I've had a bunch of times where I bought some fish or corals and by the time I get them home I forgot what species it was. It's not usually a problem, but sometimes I end up having to look it up online.

As for a LFS being dirty and so on, the worst experience I ever had was visiting a large one in my area. In addition to the fish, they also sold birds like parrots. These were kept in cages in the middle of the store isles. So the birds would make droppings and they were all over the floor. Yuck. Luckily the place went out of business.

As a note to anyone considering any of the Anthius species. Make sure you can meet their requirements. They usually require a constant supply of food and many species need to be kept in groups. This is why I don't have any Anthius species in my tank, but if you can meet their requirements, they are a great fish.

Paul B

The store is huge and has a goldfish pond large enough to house a Trident Submarine and there is a large duck in the pond. But he doesn't look happy and keeps trying to get out. I would to.

They also sell dogs, cats, Emu's Duck Billed Platypuses and maybe buffalo.

Paul B

I have been searching for information on the lifespan of copperband butterflies and it seems that ten years isn't bad.

I have also read that they are very hard to keep (which I totally disagree with).

I also read their lifespan is between 4-7 years. Then I read an informative article about them that says they live about ten years. Then I realized that I wrote that article so it doesn't help me.

I think a fish of that size should live about 15 years, of course I am guessing but maybe thats it. I have had many of them but I don't remember ever keeping them over ten years. They don't get sick, they normally just stop eating at about that age.

Mine wants to eat, it just can't focus on the food and misses almost 100% of the time so maybe that is her lifespan. If it is, I am happy. If it isn't, then she is not happy. upload_2019-12-16_12-10-47.gif

Paul B

Copperband is still with me even though she has not eaten in almost two months. Healthy, non drugged fish can live a very long time.

The lack of food is showing in her fins and scales as she doesn't have that velvety smooth skin and perfect fins that a healthy fish should have. Her eyes are not as clear and her "expression" shows me how she is feeling.

(stop laughing, some day you will be able to know what a fish is thinking)

She is dying of either old age or a neurological condition, maybe a brain tumor as her vision is askew.

She still swims all over the tank and gets excited when I feed, but she knows she can't eat.

I am not sure how long Copperbands live but being a butterfly and not an angel, Maybe 10 years is close to their natural lifespan. But I doubt it. I don't remember ever keeping one for 10 years.

I am also not sure of her exact age as I don't keep records but this one is on my book cover and that picture is at least 5 years old and she is an adult there. I got her as a baby as I like to buy all my fish If I can.

This is her yesterday. She looks better than this as the picture is out of focus