Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

You have the gear, so I'm out to pick your brain !

Ecotech Battery Backup Unit. Just what can you connect to it? Obviously things like the Vectra pump and MP's etc, but what about heaters? I'm asking because at the moment my heating is via the TECO Chiller, but in the event of a power outage can I have a 'normal type' heater connected to the battery backup unit? Can you connect non-Ecotech stuff to it?

Reactions: SPR

SPR

You have the gear, so I'm out to pick your brain !

Ecotech Battery Backup Unit. Just what can you connect to it? Obviously things like the Vectra pump and MP's etc, but what about heaters? I'm asking because at the moment my heating is via the TECO Chiller, but in the event of a power outage can I have a 'normal type' heater connected to the battery backup unit? Can you connect non-Ecotech stuff to it?
No I don’t think so, there specific to the Ecotech equipment.

A heater would drain most batteries in no time anyway.

The power would need to be off for a good while to drop the temperature so you might be better with a generator if your concerned we’re you live

We don’t get many power cuts here nowadays which is why I never bothered and if it does go down it’s not ‘normally’ for long.

Nobbygas

No I don’t think so, there specific to the Ecotech equipment.

A heater would drain most batteries in no time anyway.

The power would need to be off for a good while to drop the temperature so you might be better with a generator if your concerned we’re you live

We don’t get many power cuts here nowadays which is why I never bothered and if it does go down it’s not ‘normally’ for long.
No, we don't get power cuts either, but I'm going to get a Vectra L2, so it makes sense to get a battery backup unit for it and I was just wondering what else I could connect to the backup.

SPR

Sand in this morning and now 850 litres of water. The display is just around half full

It’s wet........

It’s also OMGG huge !! Lol. It looks absolutely massive with some water in!!

b11c318f-8e3d-4c6c-b0e9-3687a4d11f43-jpeg.1320650

0b8de8bb-02bb-42d9-894d-b79115709e87-jpeg.1320651

9acbbc84-8242-4899-89d6-c06ca880d6a9-jpeg.1320652

Last edited:

SPR

Magnificent !
It looks pretty clear for this stage. Did you gently add the water?
Thank you, to be honest magnificent just about sums it up, it really does look stunning.

The size of it looks like a real piece of ocean looking into it especially with the lights on.

I 'gently' put the water in with a 5000lph pond pump I used for water changes but it was nice and steady I suppose.

Im just awaiting for some more water to be made to fill the tanks back up and at 24/7 its likely to be a few days yet.

Nobbygas

Thank you, to be honest magnificent just about sums it up, it really does look stunning.

The size of it looks like a real piece of ocean looking into it especially with the lights on.

I 'gently' put the water in with a 5000lph pond pump I used for water changes but it was nice and steady I suppose.

Im just awaiting for some more water to be made to fill the tanks back up and at 24/7 its likely to be a few days yet.
One trick I've seen is to put a dinner plate on the sand, upside down, and pour the water onto the plate. This helps to stop the sand disturbance.

You're sat on a chair watching the water level rise millimeter by millimeter aren't you! You didn't say but I presume that it already has the salt mixed in?
You have to make a video for the very first time you turn on the Return Pump because that is the point at which the whole thing starts to come to life.

SPR

One trick I've seen is to put a dinner plate on the sand, upside down, and pour the water onto the plate. This helps to stop the sand disturbance.

You're sat on a chair watching the water level rise millimeter by millimeter aren't you! You didn't say but I presume that it already has the salt mixed in?
You have to make a video for the very first time you turn on the Return Pump because that is the point at which the whole thing starts to come to life.
What I did with the water was add it behind the rockwork were there is no sand and its such a slow fill it didn't disturb it much anyway. The level was rising very slowly but you have to remember the size of the display is around 1500 litres so huge.

There is some salt in as I added salt to the saltwater container and pumped that it, and then the other is clean RODI so about 50% is saltwater at the moment.

Ill try and make a video, but I have been warned already about the initial noises and gurgles that may come out of the X Filter until it starts filling!

So filming at the same stage may be 'difficult'! lol

Nobbygas

What I did with the water was add it behind the rockwork were there is no sand and its such a slow fill it didn't disturb it much anyway. The level was rising very slowly but you have to remember the size of the display is around 1500 litres so huge.

There is some salt in as I added salt to the saltwater container and pumped that it, and then the other is clean RODI so about 50% is saltwater at the moment.

Ill try and make a video, but I have been warned already about the initial noises and gurgles that may come out of the X Filter until it starts filling!

So filming at the same stage may be 'difficult'! lol
You mean as you run around the room flapping like a mad crack cocaine addict?
Whack the camera on a tripod and just record the whole thing, and afterwards edit to suit. Obviously we don't want to hear the bad language nor see you changing your underpants.

Nobbygas

Do you know how long it takes to fill 2 x 425 containers at 1 drip per second ! lol

The first is about half full so will be in next day or so.
Have you got a proper RODI system or are you relying on condensation from a piece of plastic?

SPR

Have you got a proper RODI system or are you relying on condensation from a piece of plastic?
Well its supposed to be 150 gpd, but that's a blatant lie!

I guess is depends on water pressure/temperature but at the moment its like 'condensation'!

SPR

I think the NYOS 160 In the S650 is still playing up. It’s producing skim but the water level in the cup needs to be about just 2 inches from the top, which is clearly to high and even there the skim is not really ‘wet’. And it’s noisy and rattling or at least more than it used to be

NYOS support say ‘it may’ need a new impeller which are around £40 but the skimmers 3 years old and I’m not convinced there’s anything wrong with the impeller as it looked fine. So is it the pump as well.......

So having reviewed various ones, I think I’m going to get one of these with the CSM neck cleaner. The Deltec 1000ix All my other Deltec equipment is very well made.

https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/product/3019/292

This is a video of it in action, well the smaller version

I’m just awaiting a reply from DD on wether to get the DC or AC version. I’m swaying towards AC unless Tony there tells me different

Last edited:

SPR

I called Charterhouse Aquatics this morning to order a new skimmer, and as usual my contact there was very helpful and said the only thing that can be wrong with the skimmer is either the impeller or the pump, and they can easily get replacement parts in a few days, which is the whole point why the skimmer is designed the way it is.

To replace these both was around £165 as opposed to £365 or £400 for a new skimmer.The odd thing is, a new skimmer doesn't seem expensive with what Ive spent!

So Ive ordered replacement parts which should arrive next week, as i have been happy with the NYOS to date.

SPR

So, as I can never remember all the fish I have I’ll start a list.

I’m not even going to bother with corals as by the time I’ve paid for them at the shop, I’ve forgotten their names already! Lol

The rest of the water should be in the tank this weekend and then I’ll start circulating the water and getting it up to temperature.

Ive been to the LFS today and ordered the first batch of fish. These are nothing fancy, but nice, and are just to start the system off following the addition of 5 x 946ml (32oz) of ATM Colony

And I’ve had to take a picture of the receipt because I’ve forgotten what i ordered already! Lol

Shaun’s 2000 Litre (530usg) Fish List

Green Chromis x 9
Yellow Chromis x 6
Black Bar Chromis x 8
Springers Damsels x 7 (they eat bad things and aren’t as antisocial as other types!)

So that’s 30 small fish reserved. I’d forgotten how much they can cost when purchased in bulk, although it worked out at around £7 per fish

The next to go in once these have settled will be around 20-30 Lyretail Anthias although these haven’t been ordered yet

Nobbygas

I use an app called Aquarimate. With it you can create a database to show when you purchased fish, how much they cost etc. You can add all details for your tank ie. When you added equipment, when you last changed the Rowophos etc, so it can remind you when it needs changing again. It also keeps track of all your test results. It's a good app.

SPR

I use an app called Aquarimate. With it you can create a database to show when you purchased fish, how much they cost etc. You can add all details for your tank ie. When you added equipment, when you last changed the Rowophos etc, so it can remind you when it needs changing again. It also keeps track of all your test results. It's a good app.
I have something similar. It’s called Neptune Apex.....