High nitrate (50)

Will2513

Hi guys. Currently having nitrate issues. Redsea test showing 50. Use nopox and even tried vodka. I do regular water change. I even have cheato in my sump. Could it be the cheato releasing back into my system.

Uncle99

How old is your tank?
It's easy to reach 50ppm in a newly cycled tank.
If your fish only, not a big problem

DaveK

Since this is a somewhat high reading, if your going to keep corals, the best way out is to make some large partial water changes. A 50% water change will reduce nitrates by 50%. Test your newly mixed water first though to make sure that is not a source of nitrates and/or phosphates.

You will need to do 5 or 6 large partial water changes to get the level way down. Do them several days to a week apart. If you think 50% is too large a water change, you can do it by changing 25% or 33% of the water, but you'll need to make more partial water changes.

Highlyagaming

Hey @Will2513, How old is your tank?

I have been having the same problem however my tank is only four months old today. Even tho it was a friends old tank and everything was reused including his water, the mire move prob caused things to die and cycle to restart. Every other parameter is spot on but like you nitrates is in the 70’ies and I am unable to keep LPs or SPS atm

Tank looks very clean tho and you wouldn't even know nitrates were high. What else are you running in your tank equipment wise?

SamEvert

Try taking out some of the chaeto algea because it holds the nitrates and stuff but also you might want to get some more live rock and try cleaning your sand