HELP! Is this the start of cyano?

Tory Larsen

Hey guys I just noticed some small spots on one of my LR. I know it might be too early to tell, but does this look like possible cyano, or something else? Of course I won’t be referring to the purple coralline growth, but you should be able to easily see the red.
501ea330114008c1f12cb1bbe1cbf2b6.jpg
96c450de6d22c0cb3c075e7edfa549b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

How long have you had the tank set up? Most tanks go through several algae blooms on their way to becoming established and stable. What you see could be normal.

Tory Larsen

How long have you had the tank set up? Most tanks go through several algae blooms on their way to becoming established and stable. What you see could be normal.
The tank is now exactly 2 months old today actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

Your tank is just starting out. Algae blooms are to be expected. Above all don't panic and use the various algae remover chemicals.

DaveK

While we are on the subject of water parameters, don't go out trying to chase numbers. This is another area where it's very easy to do more harm than good. If your water parameters are reasonable close, and your fish and corals are doing good, then don't start messing around.

Between every tank running a bit different and the test kit itself you often don't get good readings. For example, if there is an algae problem and nitrates and phosphates read 0, you still have a nitrate and phosphate problem, since the algae is consuming nitrate and phosphate to grow.