Red Sea max 250

Danielle Vasic

Hi guys!
I’m a total reef/marine beginner and have just been given a Red Sea max 250!!! Super excited and nervous has anyone any tips for getting it up to scratch ready to put some beauties in? It’s pretty tried looking and there’s no filtration substrate, so what’s best to use? Also total beginner question but do reed tanks need a heater as there’s none and I’m used to having one with tropical tanks (I’ve had discus for years)
All tios/help is welcome!
(I have no local reef shop as I’m in the bush so everything will be bought online)

DaveK

Perhaps the most difficult thing to keep in mind is that SW systems work quite a bit differently from their FW counterparts. While the goal is the same, keeping the livestock alive and flourishing, how you get there is often very different.

Your also going to find out that with just about everything in SW there are some exceptions, so a lot of information may seem to contradict itself. Usually you want to do what most people with similar systems are doing.

It is also important to have some idea of what your trying to do with the system and work in that direction. This can drive equipment selection, since some livestock have requirements that must be met.

By "filtration substrate" I am not sure if your talking about what to use on the bottom of the tank or what filter media you should use.

For the bottom of the tank you can use anything from nothing at all to a 4 inch deep sandbed. You can't go too far wrong here. I currently use about 1 1/2 inch deep sandbed or aragonite sand. You want the sand to be just a little smaller that your typical aquarium gravel. Generally, avoid the very fine sugar sand as it is tough to keep in place.

For filter media, you usually need only mechanical filtration and possibly carbon or other chemical filtration. Biological filtration is done by all the live rock in the system and indirectly by the skimmer on the system.

You want a heater because you want to be able to maintain stable temps. Don't overdo the heater size. You only need about 2 to 3 watts per gallon of water.

r2d2

Congrats on your new tank!
As Davek comented, most important thing is chemical filtration, live rock and live sand are the way to go. Prior to add anything live, other than bateria, be sure to cycle your tank. You will need a test kit, patience and more patience, but is worth it.
As far as temperature, it depends on your local weather. For me its more critical to cool down water temp that heat it. So I need a chiller instead of a heater; more expensive to buy and to run :(.

Again congrats and happy reefing!