Starting all over again after 10 years dry

r2d2

Hi all, its been a while since I didnt visit this forums. I´ve been about 10 years dry, I mean, without any tank.
Some weeks ago a friend ask me to help him assamble and star a SW aquarium. I agree to help and suddenly all kinds of memories came into place, I look for my old pics of my former tanks and guess what... Im decided to start again in this amazing hobbie.
Im planning to get an aprox 100 gal tank, lots of live rock, live sand, cycle it and let the fun beguin!! My plan does not include any sump.
I´ve been watching the Current loop system and find it very interesting. Lighting is enough to some soft corals and less heat.
So... just wanted to say "Hi" and chat about this new adventure.
Please, comments are welcome.

DaveK

I'm wondering on what your planning to use for filtration on a 100 gal tank, if your not planning on a sump. Usually on a larger thnk a sump is the preferred way to go, since you can place a lot of equipment there.

Check out the Current loop system very carefully. I use Current lighting on my FW planted tank, and one of the problems with it is the lighting system control, which is difficult to set up and a really klunky lash up. You might be better of with one of the more traditional controllers such as Neptune APEX and go from there.

Good luck with your new setup.

r2d2

Thanks Davek, actually that was one of my first hard decisions to make, to sump or not to sump. Basically a mechanical filtration with an overflow box in one corner, lots of live rock, large cleaneup crew and low fish population.
In my last tank, a biocube, I used a similar scale setup very succesfully. One thing that helped a lots was to use a large live rock piece below sand level. I read somewhere that it helps with Nitrates, dont remember exactly why...
Thanks for the input on current lighting. I was amazed by loop BT controler, but havent buy anything yet. I still have time until light is needed as I need to setup everything first and cycle it. (raw shrimp method I think).

Uncle99

I have no sump, but I do use the old style under gravel filter, have so for 30 years now.

I use CBB for lights. Welcome back!

image.jpeg

That being said, I do use a skimmer, and ATO, and two, 4 channel dosers......cuts back huge on the daily tasks and increases stability in a huge way.

r2d2

Thanks all for the welcome. Im very exited and trying to plan ahead everything. My new aquarium will be delivered tomorrow so, almost here!
I want to make a nice aquascaping, for corals in future. So dry rock for foundation and main structure and some live rock to kick things a little. 2" Sand at begining, may add more during cycling, not sure yet.
As Im starting from cero again, its quite expensive LOL.
Will keep you posted on setup.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
p.jpeg

Beautiful !