Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

This morning I am washing my worms. My neighbors think I'm nuts and that my PTSD got worse.
My culture of white worms is very old, maybe 10 years and there are tiny flies hatching in there. More flies than worms so it, of course is outside.

I am going to leave them flooded for 24 hours because I know the worms can live submerged for five days in salt water, but I am hoping the fly larvae can't SCUBA dive for long.

I don't want to order a new culture because these are very big for some reason, much larger than the original batch.
I think they are Godzilla Larvae.
wideyed.png

Paul B

Today, after I went on my boat to do a few last minutes winterizing things, paid some bills and started designing a new

(what will be very cool) steam punk "thing" I gave my worms a bath. Actually it was yesterday that I flooded them and kept them flooded for 24 hours. My worm culture has been giving me problems as it is breeding dozens of flies, and I hate flies. Scurvy little vile things.

I know they are hatching in there and I know the worms don't mind being submerged so I sunk them all day.

The worms seemed happy and were all doing what looked like an Italian wedding dance so i figured there were fine.

I was trying to drown the fly larvae. So far, so good as I don't see any flies.

If this doesn't work, I will flood them for 48 hours, then 72 hours.

After I dried them out somewhat, I fed them a nice dinner of stale bread, yogurt and nutritional yeast. I also added more potting soil in the hope they will once again start breeding and multiplying. I may have to wait a couple of weeks to see if I was successful.

In the absence of live worms I have been feeding my fish, besides LRS food, clams that I got in a bait store. I was going to use these clams as bait, but I only went fishing once this year and didn't catch anything so i am feeding them to the fish.

My anemone quadrupled in size and is the largest thing in the tank by far except for the sculpture of myself next to Christie Brinkley. upload_2019-10-16_15-21-20.gif

Paul B

This thing says there are 176,0011 views. Where are all you people? Are you in a coma? I understand that even if you are in a coma, you can still hear and understand. HELLO!!!. Someone say something, even Duh or Um.

Say something in Aramaic or Latin. Talk about Pina Colada's, anything except the democratic convention picking last night.

No politics. Just fish, life, wine, Praying Mantises, bowling balls, Supermodels, pliers, grilled cheese, salt water taffy,anything.

HELLO.

Is this thing on?

I went to the beach the other day and saw a Praying Mantis, see even I can make up something.

This little friend met me by the beach. See how easy that was.

Paul B

It seems my 24 hour worm bath did nothing to eliminate of drown flies. As a matter of fact, I think there are more flies now than before and if I look close I could swear they have SCUBA fins on.

Now i will try a 48 hour "bath" and if that doesn't work I will just collect all the worms I can and make a new culture. I don't want to do that because it will take forever to collect a lot of worms with no dirt as I feel fly larvae or eggs may get into my new culture. Maybe I will just play RAP music near the worms and see if the flies croak first.

Before me anyway.
wideyed.png

DaveK

You simply have the wrong sort of flies in there. If you have wingless fruit flies, you'd have two good live foods growing instead of one. (grin)

Nobbygas

I found (by accident) that my fish don't like flies. Now and again a fly will hit the lights and fall into the tank, and it just drifts around on the surface for days until I reach in and take it out. Apparently, my fish don't eat road kill !

Paul B

Mostly fresh water eat those and even those are not crazy about them unless they are archer fish which are very cool. But when I used to keep them, I had to constantly pick up those tiny arrows. :eek:

Nobbygas

You talk about Archer Fish, but my Male Blue Throated Trigger spits water at me on a regular basis.
I think it's a habit he picked up from She Who Casts No Shadow !

Paul B

I just got back from the fish market and bought 2 dozen live crabs. This is the first year I didn't go crabbing so I had to buy them. I finished cleaning them and my fish had a feast. My anemone looks to big for my tank now. ;Wacky

Now my wife will make a nice linguine and crabs and I will be in heaven.

Paul B

Amazon tells me that my book will be out in an E Book in a couple of days where it will be available to all parts of the Earth and beyond. They said it is so powerful and mind changing that they are going to replace the Bible in hotel rooms to make room for my book.

I told them to leave the bible there just in case some people want to pray that their fish don't croak using other methods upload_2019-10-24_6-43-10.gif:eek:

Paul B

Thanks,, I hope so. A few years ago my wife and I formed some MS Bike rides out east here on Long Island NY and we donated a few thousand dollars to the MS Foundation.

I decided that donating all the proceeds from the book in my wife's name would give me a good feeling.

And it does as I feel I am doing something because although there is a lot being done, I don't see any real benefits yet and we are hoping for a cure before it gets to late. :D

Paul B

I have been having a problem with my white worm culture, it's hatching flies so last week I flooded their container and I was straining it when my neighbor came over. He asked what I was doing and I said "I am washing my worms".

He just shook his head and walked away. upload_2019-10-26_5-47-48.gif:smokin:

It is time to again trim this sponge that I have all over the tank, but instead of sticking my hand in there with a scalpel I will try my Majano Wand which I forgot about.

I have a few of them laying around because, Like Duh, I invented the thing and never thought to use it for this. People tell me it works on mushrooms so it should work on this. I will let you know

Last edited:

Paul B

A member of a forum asked me about Majano Wands so I started looking for one as I used to have them all over the place.
(I invented the thing and hold the patent)
I found an old hand made prototype at the bottom of a box that I didn't un pack yet since I moved here a year and a half ago.

I didn't think it would work so I figured I would try it on the sponge I have encrusting all over the place.
Surprisingly, it cuts the thing like a laser beam. A very slow laser beam. Then I take out the pieces with a long tong thing.

It is hard to cut where it is attached to the rock so there is some ripping needed, but it still works.
I also noticed a couple of aiptasia in there which I also killed although it works much better on Majano's, hence the name. upload_2019-10-29_17-20-21.gif :walking:

Nobbygas

I have been playing with breeding baby Brine Shrimp to supplement the frozen food I normally feed the fish. In just 24hrs, I've got thousands of the little critters ! This just has be better than any flake or frozen food !