Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

So, something else......

You know that time we all bought a piece of coral that had a tiny little green mushroom attached to the base, and how we all felt it was nice to get a freebie? and now, that tiny green mushroom is popping up everywhere around the bloody tank ! Ggggrrrrrrrr.

Reading another forum I have in my hands the magic formula to get rid of them. The reasoning goes that stuff like Apstasia X is rather diluted. It has to be to be able to be sold in shops, sent through the post etc, which is one of the reasons that using it can sometimes be a hit or miss. This formula ramps things up a few notches and is apparently lethal, only to be used wearing gloves and goggles!

It goes like this:-
50ml of RO water
2gm Sodium Hydroxide
2gm Calcium Hydroxide
Mixed carefuly, stored in a glass container, and used via the standard type of injector you find in products like Aps X.

I have ordered the stuff and when it arrives I'll let you all know how/if it works.
Wow, just wow. This stuff works. I followed the online instructions and mixed up the death juice. I made sure nobody was around so I could concentrate on what I was doing. I was kitted out in glasses and laytex gloves. Mixing the ingredients wasn't a problem. I decided to apply the death juice to just a few Mushrooms as a test, and this morning they have gone! Amazing, not a trace of them. I shall go after a few more today. Forget Apstasia X, it is a waste of money compared to this! It is also far cheaper!

Nobbygas

Here is one of the RTBA popping out of the rock, only to appear just below a Torch and just to the side of a Galaxia. As you can see in this video, the Galaxia went into full-on war mode, with stingers flying out ! Forgive the bits in the water, I'd just finished some cleaning on the back wall.

Nobbygas

With the RBTA, in this photo yau can see three of them, and the fourth is a tiny speck in the rock down towards the bottom left. This is the one that appears on the 'other' side of the rock! And as always, they like it on the back of the rockwork where it's difficult to see them !

20191013_110038_resized (1).jpg

Nobbygas

I hear rumours of Red Sea soon to offer a 900xl aquarium. I understand they have a lot of problems with the 750 so the 900 must be a different design? Anyone heard anything?

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I hear rumours of Red Sea soon to offer a 900xl aquarium. I understand they have a lot of problems with the 750 so the 900 must be a different design? Anyone heard anything?
I think they need to stop the front on the 750XXL bursting off before they go bigger

For anyone with the 750 they’ve extended the warranty to 3 years and are supplying some form of ‘props’ to retrofit to hold the thing up.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...date-design-flaw-confirmed-by-red-sea.638896/

I can’t believe they don’t come with aluminium frames, there actually just wooden ‘ikea’ type cabinets

Nobbygas

I think they need to stop the front on the 750XXL bursting off before they go bigger

For anyone with the 750 they’ve extended the warranty to 3 years and are supplying some form of ‘props’ to retrofit to hold the thing up.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...date-design-flaw-confirmed-by-red-sea.638896/

I can’t believe they don’t come with aluminium frames, there actually just wooden ‘ikea’ type cabinets
The S-650 was always the 'flagship' model and we can now see why. I think when I built my S-650 one of the last pieces to put on it was the bracing bar in the front/middle of the Sump. Mine needed some persuasion with a rubber mallet to get it in!

SPR

The split sump is interesting on the 900.
Knowing what I know now, if I was buying anything of that size and cost I would go custom build, no hesitation

You can design everything exactly as you want it to your own requirements rather than just a standard. My sump has bubble traps and all sorts which I had never even thought of, but the guys who build them every day know their stuff.

The other thing is you learn stuff. Like plumbing and do you know what, once you get the hang of it it’s relatively easy. And you can design it how you like it. I was scared to death to even touch the S650 plumbing, but I would now as and when I want to alter something.

I think they will sell them, because unless you’ve had custom build you don’t know anything else. I would have got one definitely until I decided to build my own ocean!

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Well, like Shaun I sometimes get a bit bored and I start to look for things to fiddle with, although upgrading to a monster tank is just a little bit beyond me....at the moment.

So, instead I turn my attentions in another direction, and I've decided to play a bit and breed some live food. At the moment I buy bags of live worms and pods from the LFS every couple of weeks, but I feel that this is a bit hit and miss. I need a regular supply of live food as I think this is easily the best food we can give our fish.
With this in mind I have been looking at the JBL Artimeo Set. This is a breeding station for Artemia (Brine Shrimp) which looks pretty neat. The price is not bad at 35 Euro, and the eggs cost about 11 Euro per tub which will provide enough eggs for fourteen refills. This is far more cost effective than buying the bags from the LFS, and hopefully will provide my sterile life with some interest !
I will attempt to make a video showing how I set it up etc, but after the complete disaster and humiliation of making a video when I set up the Nyos Reactor I wouldn't hold your breath !
I have ordered it.
81Vz1MyHa9L._AC_SL1286_.jpg

SPR

Well, like Shaun I sometimes get a bit bored and I start to look for things to fiddle with, although upgrading to a monster tank is just a little bit beyond me....at the moment.

So, instead I turn my attentions in another direction, and I've decided to play a bit and breed some live food. At the moment I buy bags of live worms and pods from the LFS every couple of weeks, but I feel that this is a bit hit and miss. I need a regular supply of live food as I think this is easily the best food we can give our fish.
With this in mind I have been looking at the JBL Artimeo Set. This is a breeding station for Artemia (Brine Shrimp) which looks pretty neat. The price is not bad at 35 Euro, and the eggs cost about 11 Euro per tub which will provide enough eggs for fourteen refills. This is far more cost effective than buying the bags from the LFS, and hopefully will provide my sterile life with some interest !
I will attempt to make a video showing how I set it up etc, but after the complete disaster and humiliation of making a video when I set up the Nyos Reactor I wouldn't hold your breath !
I have ordered it.
81Vz1MyHa9L._AC_SL1286_.jpg
I might need to get me one of them to, looks very cool!

Make sure you document it so we can see what’s what

Nobbygas

It does look neat doesn't it. I will attempt another video, although don't expect a Steven Spielberg production ! It should be delivered tomorrow.

Nobbygas

With the surge of new devices/equipment to automatically monitor our systems, this new product from GHL looks very interesting. Whereas products like Mindstream are from a new company, this is from GHL who are one of the serious players in the market, so therefore should be something that 'works'.

"The Ion Director by GHL is a very promising new device that brings the aquarium world one step closer to robotic reefing. GHL released the KH Director at a time when many different manufacturers were converging on creating their own methods for automatically testing or measuring alkalinity, but the Ion Director is really in a league of its own when it comes to measuring calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, and nitrate."

https://reefbuilders.com/2019/10/21...mZfEzJfhSAIjlFc_Y3IpjjQAKa7Pnv1y4ZJ-z8ux62Ig8

SPR

Looks very interesting

I think with these things you choose the controller you prefer and go for it.

I like Apex because its just simple to use, and its even better these days with all the setup wizards it has as the softwares developed.

Im surprised you haven't got one if you like 'fiddling'. Ive got 2! lol

Nobbygas

Looks very interesting

I think with these things you choose the controller you prefer and go for it.

I like Apex because its just simple to use, and its even better these days with all the setup wizards it has as the softwares developed.

Im surprised you haven't got one if you like 'fiddling'. Ive got 2! lol
I must admit, the one thing I really do hate about this hobby is the testing. It makes my teeth itch !
I shall have to investigate as with all these things you usually need a 'base' unit, then you add the modules. For example, Apex is quite expensive when you look at what you want.
The other good thing about the GHL product is that it doesn't need any regents, so no ongoing costs.
I think (and I may be wrong of course) that if you connect the box to a GHL doser, then it can automatically adjust the dosage to compensate for the readings it takes. We know it can do Calc, Mag, Nitrate (and something else) with claims that in the future it may well be able to do Phos.

I'm interested,