Hello

MumZFishZ87

Hi,
I'm MumZ from Ann Arbor, MI
My 29 gallon fish only tank has been down for 2 years now and without water for 6+ months.
I'm hoping to make it a reef tank this time!
Where should I start?
I know new medium and sand and reef salt, protein skimmer. Is a sump really necessary for a 29 gallon?

DaveK

I recommend you consider starting from scratch with a reef system. As I think you'll see, you'll end up replacing just about everything, since you'll want a better filtration system, betting skimming, and better lighting. By the time your done all that you will have spent quite a bit and still only have a 29 gal tank to show for it. Since the tank is often the least expensive piece of gear you'll need, it usually makes far more sense to up grade the tank to something that will give you a much better system. For example a 40 gal breeder makes a good choice and wouldn't cost much more to set up. Of course if "money is no object" then a large tank like a 125 can really be nice.

Above all plan out what your trying to do with the system, especially with the livestock you want to keep. No point in setting up a 29 gal tank if the fish you want to put in it requires a 250 gal min tank size.

MumZFishZ87

I recommend you consider starting from scratch with a reef system. As I think you'll see, you'll end up replacing just about everything, since you'll want a better filtration system, betting skimming, and better lighting. By the time your done all that you will have spent quite a bit and still only have a 29 gal tank to show for it. Since the tank is often the least expensive piece of gear you'll need, it usually makes far more sense to up grade the tank to something that will give you a much better system. For example a 40 gal breeder makes a good choice and wouldn't cost much more to set up. Of course if "money is no object" then a large tank like a 125 can really be nice.

Above all plan out what your trying to do with the system, especially with the livestock you want to keep. No point in setting up a 29 gal tank if the fish you want to put in it requires a 250 gal min tank size.
Yes Dave, I do plan on starting everything from scratch. I live in a small 1k sqft trailer so, space is limited. I’d like to see if maybe I can get a slightly larger tank and move some things around and make it work. Not sure yet though

MumZFishZ87

How large is your tank?
I’m actually checking out a used 90 gallon on Tuesday! I’d have to still set it up but a nice larger tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say go for it a 29 gallon tank is large enough for a reef tank the tank that I maintain is only 15 gallons

Attachments

• 42BE862B-6E7A-455A-A462-A09CC42EDE3B.jpeg
    42BE862B-6E7A-455A-A462-A09CC42EDE3B.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 5

MumZFishZ87

Wow! My FLFS (friendly local fish store) said the minimal would be a 29 gallon. I can size up so I’ll see my 90 gallon option on Tuesday. The lights will not do SPS just LPS could I get a bulb to handle SPS as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk