Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Pancho75

Even worse for me because of the language. It means the only common name is the Latin one.
As for remembering the names of the corals, jeez, I have trouble remembering if I have put underpants on in the morning !
LOL
Here it is same as John and Shaun, I only point my finger I want that “orange/yellow/purple/green” coral then ignore whatever amount of money the LFS guy replay and get it home !

Last edited:

SPR

Lol
C'mon slacker, where are the updates? Have you ordered your mini man shed yet? Have you started drilling holes? Did you drill too deep and have you struck oil?
Lol!

Just awaiting the tank to be delivered now, I decided not to buy anything else until it arrives which I’m expecting any time now.

I can’t place the plastic shed in position until the tank is in, so no rush for that, but as soon as it’s here I’ll order the shed and the water tanks

What I have thought of though, is that with a drilled hole into the wall behind the S650 I could hook it up into the auto water change system with an additional Apex DOS, and then I’m also getting ideas about a couple of MP40’s and a clarisea Sk3000. This would all make it very easy to maintain and to keep in place.

Nobbygas

Lol

Lol!

Just awaiting the tank to be delivered now, I decided not to buy anything else until it arrives which I’m expecting any time now.

I can’t place the plastic shed in position until the tank is in, so no rush for that, but as soon as it’s here I’ll order the shed and the water tanks

What I have thought of though, is that with a drilled hole into the wall behind the S650 I could hook it up into the auto water change system with an additional Apex DOS, and then I’m also getting ideas about a couple of MP40’s and a clarisea Sk3000. This would all make it very easy to maintain and to keep in place.
The big question is just what do you want out of the S-650? Is it going to be a QT tank for the new stuff? I understand you will not be 'treating' the new fish with anything, but just watching them before they go into the DT. My concern here would be catching the bloody things again when you want to transfer them! I can see that being a royal PITA!.....Unless you remove the rocks and corals, which will make catching them a lot easier, plus if need be you can add 'medicinal stuff' if necessary with the new fish. Doing that though transforms it from a nice DT to a rather stark QT? Without the corals in the tank do you really need the Clarisea? Do you really need the MP40's? Remember, most of the stuff we do regarding water quality is more to do with keeping corals than with keeping fish.

SPR

The big question is just what do you want out of the S-650? Is it going to be a QT tank for the new stuff? I understand you will not be 'treating' the new fish with anything, but just watching them before they go into the DT. My concern here would be catching the bloody things again when you want to transfer them! I can see that being a royal PITA!.....Unless you remove the rocks and corals, which will make catching them a lot easier, plus if need be you can add 'medicinal stuff' if necessary with the new fish. Doing that though transforms it from a nice DT to a rather stark QT? Without the corals in the tank do you really need the Clarisea? Do you really need the MP40's? Remember, most of the stuff we do regarding water quality is more to do with keeping corals than with keeping fish.
I’m thinking of leaving it fully set up, apart from taking the fish out, or at least most of them

I’ll frag the corals into the new tank, move some maybe, but I look at the S650 and it’s, well, magnificent! Lol

I came home from Spain today, after 9 days, cleaned the glass and I sit here now mesmerised by the activity and movement....

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Here is something for you to ponder.

If the S-650 is to be used as a QT tank - You will be restricted in adding new livestock in that you'll have to wait for each batch of fish to finish in the QT, transfer them to the DT, before you can add more fish to the QT. I think you're a bit like me and would find this extremely frustrating !

So, I'll throw this out there. What if you sold the S-650 (shock, horror, but hear me out) and replaced with a multi-tank system, a bit like you see in the LFS. A number (say four) of smaller tanks that would make it easier to QT fish beforehand and it would also give you some flexibility with the new fish?
Also, and I hope you never have to do this, would it be possible to use one of the smaller tanks as a hospital tank in the event you have to remove a fish to treat it? Can you isolate one of the smaller tanks? To be honest I don't know.

Just a thought.

SPR

Here is something for you to ponder.

If the S-650 is to be used as a QT tank - You will be restricted in adding new livestock in that you'll have to wait for each batch of fish to finish in the QT, transfer them to the DT, before you can add more fish to the QT. I think you're a bit like me and would find this extremely frustrating !

So, I'll throw this out there. What if you sold the S-650 (shock, horror, but hear me out) and replaced with a multi-tank system, a bit like you see in the LFS. A number (say four) of smaller tanks that would make it easier to QT fish beforehand and it would also give you some flexibility with the new fish?
Also, and I hope you never have to do this, would it be possible to use one of the smaller tanks as a hospital tank in the event you have to remove a fish to treat it? Can you isolate one of the smaller tanks? To be honest I don't know.

Just a thought.
I think what I’m going to do is just leave the S650 running, catch as many of the fish as I can, taking into account there territorial behaviour and a new home, and then take frags from it for the new system. It would be very easy to hook it up into the new water change system and amend anything else that’s a pain to maintain

I haven’t done a water change since May 2019, it looks healthy and fine, but I’m not convinced this is the long term best way forward, so auto water changes with an additional Apex Dos seems to be the easy way to do it. And also connect it to the new ATO container as that will be auto filling with a float valve and pressure system.

On QT my thoughts are to either set up a small basic tank for 4 weeks observation, make the LFS do this for me, or not bother as the LFS’s have always said it’s not necessary as Tropic Marine Centre do a lot of this.

I am very aware of @Paul B methods and views and putting a fish in a box treating it with who knows what whilst staring it at just seems not the way to go forward, providing, you are confident with the suppliers and have the general view about fish immunity etc.

Any fish I have lost has usually been within a short period of adding them to the system, which is maybe stress, bullying or whatever. I feed them a mixed diet to try and keep them healthy and that seems to me the way forward.

Oh and there is no way the S650 will be a QT or holding tank. The thought of catching them would drive me insane. And if they don’t want to move home to their new mansion, they can stay put. Apart from the Blue faced Angelfish who coming out one way or another as he is definitely pecking at corals. I might need a trawler net but needs must! Lol

chickenjohn

I will never understand why people qt fish with lots of different medications, it just puts a fish under more stress than is necessary, only treat a fish if it shows signs of a disease and keep one maybe two fish in qt at the same time, I read quite alot of people buying a load of fish to put in qt and find one has got a disease so you then have to treat the whole tank and fish rather than the individual fish.
If a fish is eating well, swims out in the open and looks well and healthy after 6-8 weeks its fine.
Just let the fish be and just keep an eye on it, quarantining fish is simple observation, treat as and when necessary, nothing more nothing less.

SPR

I will never understand why people qt fish with lots of different medications, it just puts a fish under more stress than is necessary, only treat a fish if it shows signs of a disease and keep one maybe two fish in qt at the same time, I read quite alot of people buying a load of fish to put in qt and find one has got a disease so you then have to treat the whole tank and fish rather than the individual fish.
If a fish is eating well, swims out in the open and looks well and healthy after 6-8 weeks its fine.
Just let the fish be and just keep an eye on it, quarantining fish is simple observation, treat as and when necessary, nothing more nothing less.
I completely agree. If I do anything at all, it will be just monitoring for 4 weeks or so, not treatments. But let’s just say I’m not keen......

SPR

Here’s an update on the ALR2 reactor

It’s was installed 23rd July 2019 like this

2cd8dd2d-e9bd-4497-8fe2-5f8021997967-jpeg.1215820

And this is what it looked like yesterday

I’ve tried it on the recommended flow and then higher flow and I’m not that impressed with this at all. It was run 24/7

When it came out, the acrylic tube surrounding the light was covered in like a slime

My nitrate and phosphate levels haven’t moved from around 20ppm and phosphate is around 0.03-0.07ppm

So I’ve put what’s left of the Cheato back in, reduced the flow to a lower level, and we will see what happens but if it’s no better in a month or so you know what’s going to happen to it.

I’ve also amended the light/flow period to on at 21.45 and off at 15.00 to give a period of darkness and no flow.

58251eed-7878-4fe5-ae41-2063a130c37f-jpeg.1215822
d5ff386e-b265-4a10-b3a2-90b42cfdee1c-jpeg.1215823
4a281e08-7566-4e43-9cd0-3d88db441e55-jpeg.1215824
e55e23c3-3bbb-40cf-aedf-a5b41c61429c-jpeg.1215825
b1b36507-87ca-4e2d-9fb7-59fe47f69366-jpeg.1215826