Looking for powerhead

Paul B

I want a new (or old) powerhead and I can't find one. I have 3 of these and they are at least 40 years old. They never needed any maintenance except occasionally sticking my finger in the intake screen to clean out amphipod shells, Godzilla larvae and bristleworms. They work forever and are powerful.

I really hate those Korilas and all the powerheads with that stupid open plastic grill because that thing grows so much life that in a few years you need a demolition hammer to clean the thing and you have to remove it to clean all the time. It's just a stupid design but probably good for goldfish. upload_2019-8-19_11-14-0.gif

I think these were made by Tunze.

If I could find something Not made in China, that would be a big plus. upload_2019-8-19_11-14-0.gif

Paul B

I thought about the Supermodel with the paddle and I have a call into Christie Brinley as she lives near here, but I have not heard back from her. I was also going to use my 2 1/2 HP outboard motor but my wife frowns on the noise and the fumes.

DaveK

The powerhead you have is an AquaClear 70. It is still available new from multiple vendors. Here is one place (offsite) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002602VE/?tag=reefsanc-20

Note the former model number was 802, so you might see that on the case someplace. Oddly enough, I didn't see them listed in many of the usual "big time online aquarium stores". Seems they are kind of "out of style". However, I have always found them to be a good all around powerhead pump, especially for places where you just want a constant, strong jet of water.

DaveK

What makes you think it's a knock off and not as powerful? I'm asking because Aqua Clear has been selling the same pump for years, with no real change in design. I've bought several over the years that I uses mostly for mixing SW and pumping water, and have not noticed any real difference.

Be that as it may, if your willing to consider another brand, consider one of the Danner Suprime Hydro-mag pumps. You should be able to find something with the power you want since there are a lot of different models. .

Paul B

Dave. It may be the same as the old ones, I am not sure. But you are right, it looks just like my old ones. Maybe all the growth on mine just makes them look stronger. :D
I think I will get a couple of those. :cool:

Uncle99

Its an aqua clear, longest lasting pumps I have ever used, made in Germany (I think) all except the smallest have reverse flow

Sometimes a bit hard to find as they were more for UG filters which are rare these days, but I just added one last year, but took some time to find a store.

Last edited:

DaveK

Its an aqua clear, longest lasting pumps I have ever used, made in Germany (I think) all except the smallest have reverse flow

Sometimes a bit hard to find as they were more for UG filters which are rare these days, but I just added one last year, but took some time to find a store.

That is true about their use with undergravel filters. They will be right at home in @Paul B tank (grin)!

Paul B

I found three working ones. If I look long enough in my house I can find anything. But I fixed the crack in one and ordered another one so I should be good. :cool:

DaveK

It's amazing how much aquarium gear one can accumulate over time. Once and a great while I go through all the junk I have and try to get rid of the stuff I know I'll never use again. Even so, it seems one ends up with almost enough gear to set up another system.

This also kind of begs the question, how often have you gone out and bought something new and later found you already had it? I've done it more than a few times.

Paul B

I just did it. I ordered a powerhead and I found 5 of them so far. And I just moved here a year ago and probably threw out 5 more.

If I count semi broken ones, I could probably find 5 or 10 more.