Johns first coral adventure RSR 425xl

chickenjohn

While I'm on about quarantine tanks i'll explain my basic set up which has served me for years.
Its a jewel 125 which has had more silicon over the years than all of red seas 750xxl put together, but its a qt so doesn't have to look pretty.
I only fill it with 60 litres of water, no point filling it to max 125 litres, it just uses more medication if needed so its half full.
I use a Fluval U3 internal filter and a small powerhead for surface agitation, a small 150w heater, Seachem ammonia alert and a cheap Chinese light. That's it for equipment but I have a couple of grey pipe fittings for the fish to hide in.
I always have 4 sponges in the sump (U3 uses 2) and when a fish has gone through quarantine I clean the tank thoroughly, fill it with fresh water and replace the sponges with new ones from the sump and put 2 more sponges in the sump so don't need to cycle tank every time, I buy a large square of sponge and cut to size, no point wasting money on branded sponges.
I keep the fish in qt for 6-8 weeks without medication, I do not see the need to medicate and put the fish through stress if its not needed. I don't agree with prophylactic treating of fish as its unnecessary. Would you treat yourself with a bunch of medication if you didn't need them?
If the fish need medicating I keep them in qt for 12 weeks or until 100% sure they are cured of whatever illness they had.
That is my quarantining method which I have always done and never had a disease in my dt.
I did have a tank crash about 15 years ago which killed my entire tank but that was due to buying a fish I thought was bullet proof and i put it straight into dt and within a week every fish was dead.
A qt doesn't have to be expensive, a cheap and cheerful basic set up is enough for a qt.

SPR

While I'm on about quarantine tanks i'll explain my basic set up which has served me for years.
Its a jewel 125 which has had more silicon over the years than all of red seas 750xxl put together, but its a qt so doesn't have to look pretty.
I only fill it with 60 litres of water, no point filling it to max 125 litres, it just uses more medication if needed so its half full.
I use a Fluval U3 internal filter and a small powerhead for surface agitation, a small 150w heater, Seachem ammonia alert and a cheap Chinese light. That's it for equipment but I have a couple of grey pipe fittings for the fish to hide in.
I always have 4 sponges in the sump (U3 uses 2) and when a fish has gone through quarantine I clean the tank thoroughly, fill it with fresh water and replace the sponges with new ones from the sump and put 2 more sponges in the sump so don't need to cycle tank every time, I buy a large square of sponge and cut to size, no point wasting money on branded sponges.
I keep the fish in qt for 6-8 weeks without medication, I do not see the need to medicate and put the fish through stress if its not needed. I don't agree with prophylactic treating of fish as its unnecessary. Would you treat yourself with a bunch of medication if you didn't need them?
If the fish need medicating I keep them in qt for 12 weeks or until 100% sure they are cured of whatever illness they had.
That is my quarantining method which I have always done and never had a disease in my dt.
I did have a tank crash about 15 years ago which killed my entire tank but that was due to buying a fish I thought was bullet proof and i put it straight into dt and within a week every fish was dead.
A qt doesn't have to be expensive, a cheap and cheerful basic set up is enough for a qt.

That sounds like a good and simple method, so I might be picking your brains a little more on this shortly

I know all my current fish are healthy and disease free, and I’m not buying anymore until the new system is in place, and then I can’t take any chances, so I’ll need a little QT set up. I think the S650 might be a bit big!

chickenjohn

Pick away mate.
I got the tank off ebay for £10 as it had a leak but nothing a bit of silicon didn't cure.
I already had a spare filter from an old freshwater set up, If I was to buy one it would be the simplest most basic sponge filter.
Powerhead is a cheap £5 off ebay.
Heater again I have loads hanging about.
Light £5 cheap Chinese thing.
cost me £20 but if buying everything, you can do a good qt for under £50.
always go for a bigger tank though but only fill 50-60 litres, you might buy a fish that needs the bigger tank so its just a case then of filling the tank full then.